Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mabuk dan gila
APC Locations: ATL AUA AUH AUS BOS CLT MDW ORD DFW DEN DTW DUB YEG FLL IAH LAS LAX MIA MSP YUL NAS JFK EWR MCO PHL PHX PDX RNO SLC SAN SFO SEA TPA YYZ YVR IAD

Eligible persons at all APC airports: U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008.

Eligible persons at some but not all APC airports: US permanent residents might be eligible to use APC kiosks at LAX, SFO, ORD, DTW; probably more by now.
Print Wikipost

US CBP Automated Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Based on your last sentence, it is clear that you understand US Customs - indeed, the whole US government - perfectly.
And I am very grateful for the inability of the US to organize.... much of anything as far as I can tell, because it keeps me employed. I tell them how to improve processes in all sorts of ways and what sort of cost benefits they can reasonably expect and then I charge them a mildly obscene amount of money for it, and they ignore everything I tell them. I'm set for life.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SEA is going live with the APC kiosks this week (tomorrow according to some). That makes them the fifth airport in the US to have them operating?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
It does, doesn't it. However, at the time the PR was published, only US Passports holders could use the system with the intent Canadians could as well once Customs formally approved the process. One of the issues was the type of visa a Canadian passport holder came in on. Once that was resolved with software changes it was switched over.

The migration to adding visitors is hitting a few snags, some which are political. Surprise, surprise!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by ords
It does, doesn't it. However, at the time the PR was published, only US Passports holders could use the system with the intent Canadians could as well once Customs formally approved the process. One of the issues was the type of visa a Canadian passport holder came in on. Once that was resolved with software changes it was switched over.

The migration to adding visitors is hitting a few snags, some which are political. Surprise, surprise!
Used APC for the first time at IAH yesterday. I wasn't sure what to expect, but...

^ It was miles faster than standing in line for the usual interrogation.... and they didn't even want to ask me any questions...in spite of my itin that involved a four-hour visit to GYE on the way back from LIM. It took me 2 minutes to punch the on-screen keys and then pass customs and recheck. Fastest ever re-entry for me at IAH...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:29 pm

Is the plan to have it open to all visitors or just those who use ESTA? What's the current timeline for this?

Although my wife and kids are US citizens, I am a UK citizen. We used to all be able to go in the US citizens line, but as I understand it if we want to stay together at present we all end up in the visitors line as I can't use the APC.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by diddy_tong
Is the plan to have it open to all visitors or just those who use ESTA? What's the current timeline for this?

Although my wife and kids are US citizens, I am a UK citizen. We used to all be able to go in the US citizens line, but as I understand it if we want to stay together at present we all end up in the visitors line as I can't use the APC.
First, citizens of the US; then, citizens of Canada; and then, VWP visitors with ESTA. No way it's going to be open to all visitors anytime in the near future, for there are too many paranoid types in and out of government that will squeal like crazy pigs if that were to happen.

The first two are already in play, at least at some airports; the VWP users with ESTA are going to be waiting quite some time for quite some time. Unfortunately, if the VWP/ESTA is how you are entering the US, then APC kiosks are off limits for you even as your family can choose to go with you.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:57 am

Thanks GU, I should have been more specific, VWP/ESTA travelers are up next (time TBD) and all visitors will never happen. We thought ORD would have it by Mar/Apr but that's been pulled off the table.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Adding VWP would be really very awesome.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stifle
Adding VWP would be really very awesome.
I am hoping for it too -- as I often have travel party associates who are stuck in long lines with CBP, consequently delaying me despite having already cleared me and my bags into the US.

I have doubts we'll see VWP users included in APC this year, but I'd love to be wrong about that. Chances may be better in early 2015, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Interesting that they will be adding VWP/ESTA holders, but not LPRs (who are eligible for GE).
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:24 am
Suspended

CLT airport has asked the city to give it $2,500,000 for 24 APC kiosks (which includes purchase, installation and maintenance). These are to be purchased from the Vancouver Airport Authority but the installation and maintenance gets farmed out to another party that would be paid by the airport authority/city.

The request is in part based on average CLT passenger wait times to clear CBP expected to increase from approximately 50 minutes to over 70 minutes on average this summer if not going for the APC kiosks.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:15 am
Suspended

PIT is scheduled to get the APC kiosks this spring.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: Loyalty? I go where the points and status are!
Anyone know if/when EWR will get them?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oziman
Anyone know if/when EWR will get them?
PANYNJ was resistant to paying for them, and I've seen no indication yet of PANYNJ changing its approach on the matter -- not that I've been looking.

DL did a customer-friendly thing and decided to fund the push for APC kiosks itself at JFK T4. Absent DL, not even JFK T4 would have them.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by GUWonder
PIT is scheduled to get the APC kiosks this spring.
Wow. They don't even have GE kiosks, and I don't see them being necessary considering they have only seasonal international service with DL to PUC and CDG. I believe the F9 fights to CUN and PUC are charter. The AC flight would get preclearance. They could first try to make it possible to exit the airport without going airside again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.