Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Rule on Walking Sticks / Trekking Poles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
TSA Rule on Walking Sticks / Trekking Poles

I am thinking of getting a pair of retractable hiking poles for my trip next week....they will need to go through security at FLL, LAX, LIH and KOA. The ends are not sharp, but still pointy like ski poles.

Has anyone encountered problems or hassles taking something like this through the checkpoint as carry-on? Any advise from the screeners?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:59 am

Unless it is a cane or has just a rubber tip, I would think that it would be a no go as a carry-on. Heck, a hockey stick is not allowed. I travel one trip a year with my backpacking poles and I always put them in my checked luggage.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Unless it is a cane or has just a rubber tip, I would think that it would be a no go as a carry-on. Heck, a hockey stick is not allowed. I travel one trip a year with my backpacking poles and I always put them in my checked luggage.
Thanks for the info...I don't do checked bags, so it looks like I will be hunting for a big stick when I hit Kauai

Thanks TSA! You have bravely saved not one, but eight flights from certain tragedy
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
My camera monopod with a somewhat pointed tip (covered by a blunt rubber foot) has never been a problem and has made a few dozen trips with me. Then again, seeing as how the TSA is quibbling over whether or not contact solution is "saline" and has confiscated car keys and even Congressional Medals of Honor, I can see why you would be worried.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA AA DL US HH
Good luck finding a straight enough stick and enjoy Kauai !
Watch out for chickens crossing the road.
whkento likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum
I've traveled all over the US EU with my collapsible walking stick (with a removable rubber tip like this one: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...oductId=291625

I've been asked a few time what it was and I identified them as a "walking cane" (even though it's obvious that I don't need a walking cane). No problems anywhere except for a flight from Basel to London where I had to go back to the counter and checked it in.

Here is the rule from the TSA (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm )
Walking Canes - allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 5:47 am

It is always helpful to carry a Dr.s note with any special needs device.
whkento likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:02 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skylady
It is always helpful to carry a Dr.s note with any special needs device.
Athough certainly true, it says something scary about our ideas of security. Since the TSA has no way to verify such notes, what's to stop terrorists from faking their own notes?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by acrespo
I've traveled all over the US EU with my collapsible walking stick (with a removable rubber tip like this one: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...oductId=291625

I've been asked a few time what it was and I identified them as a "walking cane" (even though it's obvious that I don't need a walking cane). No problems anywhere except for a flight from Basel to London where I had to go back to the counter and checked it in.

Here is the rule from the TSA (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm )
Walking Canes - allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed.
I always check mine as I've taken it all over the world and don't want to lose it to the TSA.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:11 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by exerda
Athough certainly true, it says something scary about our ideas of security. Since the TSA has no way to verify such notes, what's to stop terrorists from faking their own notes?

its alright is they have a doctors note for that TNT stick
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:12 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I am thinking of getting a pair of retractable hiking poles for my trip next week....they will need to go through security at FLL, LAX, LIH and KOA. The ends are not sharp, but still pointy like ski poles.

Has anyone encountered problems or hassles taking something like this through the checkpoint as carry-on? Any advise from the screeners?

i think you should be fine. i've travelled with my tri/mono-pods and i never had an issue. but this depends on the screener too
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:32 pm

Metal walking stick OK?

I hurt my knee and now use a retractable aluminum walking stick. Will a metal walking stick present any problem with my taking the stick on board the plane? This is for a trip in US in Dec/Jan 2011.

The stick compresses to just a bit over 22 inches long.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
I carry Carbon Fiber and Alum Monopods alot when i travel with photo gear. Have had a couple of boneheaded idiots but i made my point, and was allowed through with them.

Same goes for lightstands, and treking poles.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The handles of many roll-on suitcases are built of two metal pipes that are akin to walking sticks. But since this involves the TSA with its history of banning wooden baseball bats before, it begs the question why a metal walking stick would be permissible like those metal pipes used as part of the handle for a roll-on suitcase when baseball bats were not. ADA and the lobby for the mobility challenged and elderly?

Prohibited:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

Permitted:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...eds/index.shtm

With regard to the TSA itself, canes are ordinarily good to go into the cabin.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:55 am

Thanks for the info. I guess a metal retractable walking stick should be OK as carry on in US domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.