Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA’s new Analogic machines at OAK are insanely slow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2023, 8:51 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

I spent 40 minutes today clearing PreCheck at OAK. The new screening machines are 3 to 4 times slower, causing a proportionate increase in screening times. It wasn’t terrible when the 5 minute delay tripled, but spring break is a disaster.

I wonder if anything can be done about this downgrade of our travel experience.

Edit: The new machines are at Terminal 2 in OAK. Next time I will try my luck at Terminal 1.

Last edited by nsx; Mar 27, 2023 at 9:02 am
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:09 am

Programs: LTP, PP
So this is an outright lie? Yikes.

https://www.analogic.com/imaging-and...int/?locale=en

Combines CT imaging with advanced EDS threat detection software
  • Throughput of up to 600 bags per hour
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:26 am

I'm not sure it's the machines that are slower...it's the new bins/conveyors that seem to muck up the works. I fly through OAK T2 every week and it's definitely a downgraded experience since they added the new infrastructure a few weeks ago. I would go through T1, but no Clear lanes there.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by nsx
The new screening machines are 3 to 4 times slower, causing a proportionate increase in screening times.
Operator error? I've seen those machines at (... dammit, I fly too much, everything is starting to run together) FLL(?) and PDX(??) and the thruput isn't noticeably less.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:07 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I was hoping it was an operator learning curve, but it's been several weeks now. This morning I was seeing bags pause at the machine exit for 30 seconds or more. I'm sure the machine can go faster but the operators at OAK don't seem to be capable of more speed. I hadn't waited more than a few minutes at OAK security in well over a year until the new machines arrived.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:01 pm

I doubt risk levels remain static. Operators can't go faster than adjusted-for-threat algorithms. Predictions of throughput to exceed old AT systems sure appear overly confident.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:28 pm

Just went through T2 PreCheck a few minutes ago…moderate traffic level and no real wait.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
I’m more concerned why they named it the AnalLogic.
Section 107, m907 and sgtbalski like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
It's not that the machines are slower, the TSA agent is slower now that they can look around and rotate the image, etc. With the old machine, they had the options of looking at various layers via various xray wavelengths. With the Analogic machines, they can now have a 3D 360 view in any direction.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by diburning
... the TSA agent is slower now that they can look around and rotate the image, etc. ... With the Analogic machines, they can now have a 3D 360 view in any direction.
So does this mean fewer "pull-asides" then? My laptop bag is full and dense and will sometimes get the "we need to re-run it" or "manual inspection" treatment; it only happens every ~10 runs or so, but when it does it really slows me down.
m907 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:48 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Supposedly it's to cut down on secondary checks where they can't see what a dense object is, but in my experience, they take extra time to look, and if they still can't see what it is, they'll still pull it. So, maybe?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:45 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Mine was pulled this morning, which happened less than 20% of the time with the old machines.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 3:46 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by diburning
It's not that the machines are slower, the TSA agent is slower now that they can look around and rotate the image, etc. With the old machine, they had the options of looking at various layers via various xray wavelengths. With the Analogic machines, they can now have a 3D 360 view in any direction.
I agree that's likely, but the reason for the slowdown is irrelevant to passengers. More active lanes are needed if these machines stay and if the operators can't go faster.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by wutlol
I’m more concerned why they named it the AnalLogic.
Reminiscent of Tobias Funke, the world's first Analyst Therapist...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/newr...ply&p=35121108
sgtbalski likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 7:07 pm

Not many TSA Pre-Check open hours like OAK.

Perhaps this is outdated:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.