Countries that immediately deny felony entry

Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Countries that immediately deny felony entry

Someone in our group has drug related felonies. What countries would she be immediately banned entry into? We are already aware she stands no chance of entry into Canada or connections to other flights that go through Canada (Also realized this for cruising which is a huge bummer as many cruises go from West Coast to CA and back).

Anyways, any countries you guys can rattle off that she might as well not even consider. Planning a trip and one of the issues with organizing it is getting around this and around connecting flights and layovers in those countries where she will not be deemed entry.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:49 am

I don't think it's so cut-and-dried.
The year of the offense, the legal aftermath, probation questions,
what state, and/or political turmoil can all factor into this.
For example if you got caught with cocaine in 1976-1979 there's
a little-known provision called the Disco Defense.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:52 am
Original Poster

All offenses were about 5 years old. No jail time, Probation over and done with.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
It's not that easy. My co-worker is 57 years old, and can't enter Canada because of a DUI he had at 17 years old. I wish I could get something so they would ban me also. I hate going there.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Originally Posted by yandosan
... there's
I'm curious about this. Can you provide more information?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:52 pm

If you have a conviction that is old and minor, Canada lets you apply in advance for permission to enter, so that you won't run the very real risk of being turned back at the border. You can get details here:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ang=eng&view=d
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Houston.Business
It's not that easy. My co-worker is 57 years old, and can't enter Canada because of a DUI he had at 17 years old. I wish I could get something so they would ban me also. I hate going there.
you are free not to go there!

as Epod says, your co-worker can appeal to the Cdn government if they choose to do so.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

I am looking for countries outside of Canada... Mainly interest in Europe, Malaysia, Thailand, South American and Carribean locations.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
In general:
- Canada is strangely one of the strictest regarding US felons.
- Schengen Area don't prohibit entry for felons, but reserve the right to refuse entry to them
- notwithstanding the above, if it was a violent offense or potentially carries a long prison sentence, you're going to have a hard time.

US Courts provide extensive documentation on the issue, but most of it says you need to contact the embassy or consulate about your particular situation (which they provide contact information for).

And sometimes even money isn't enough to work your way around. I recall Paris Hilton was denied entry to Japan due to her drug conviction and Chris Brown had to cancel his European tour due to an inability to enter Schengen due to a felony conviction.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:40 am
Original Poster

It's along the same lines as Paris' charge but a little worse. So any country on this Shengen list will be hard to enter? Even if just for tourism?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Houston.Business
1) Don't go. Canadians are basically the opposite of Texans anyway.

2) Your colleague can almost certainly rehabilitate with the Canadians.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:04 am

More info?
Sorry, I was making a joke. Ya see, everyone was doing toot in that
era and I thought I would attempt some period-humor.
Although, the valid point being made is that you can't
separate the "crime" from the context or era in which it occurs.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by kaminski6
All offenses were about 5 years old. No jail time, Probation over and done with.
Depending on the specific offense and its context, the record may have been expunged (erased) after some period of time. Your friend may want to check on that first.

I believe that a lot of minor drug related convictions are done that way these days (again depending on the specific circumstances).
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It is potentially the case that European countries may not have any way of finding the conviction.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:40 am

Is this a work colleague that needs to travel for work? Or a friend that you want to do personal travel with?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.