Countries that immediately deny felony entry

Subscribe
Quote: I am looking for countries outside of Canada... Mainly interest in Europe, Malaysia, Thailand, South American and Carribean locations.
Most Asian, European and Latin American countries don't have a way to readily flag down convicted US felons on arrival or departure; and absent some kind of formalized exchange agreement or formalized informational exchange system being used, most such convicted US felons are unlikely to be flagged down on arrival in most of Europe, SE Asia, South America, etc.

If the felony was one involving use of a passport as a tool for the crime, the chances of a problem with entering countries actually increases substantially.
Someone I would just be taking a trip with. They are all drug related felonys (trafficking) minus one for vandalism (graffiti). Nothing violet. No weapons charges or anything. He cannot get them expunged given he had a expungement at age 21 for a misdemeanor.

I have head that also regarding entering China/Japan that if you do not mention it they have no way to find out. And that as long as you were to avoid getting in trouble in those countries you SHOULD be fine.

Still am not sure it's something he should risk attempting with 2 drug trafficking felonies it just seems arrogant beyond belief.
You can sometimes transit through a Canadian airport without a visa or when you are inadmissible if the airport has direct connection between international and the US departure terminal which doesn't require you to clear the CBSA post. Google on "Canada & TWOV"
I would not travel with this person
It seems risky to travel with this person. You might be viewed as "guilt by association".
Quote: Most Asian, European and Latin American countries don't have a way to readily flag down convicted US felons on arrival or departure; and absent some kind of formalized exchange agreement or formalized informational exchange system being used, most such convicted US felons are unlikely to be flagged down on arrival in most of Europe, SE Asia, South America, etc.

If the felony was one involving use of a passport as a tool for the crime, the chances of a problem with entering countries actually increases substantially.
Exactly

Canada border personnel have full access to US public records right at the border - additionally their definition of "felony" is somewhat different than what we have in the states.

EU on the other hand does not, and a conviction long ago is doubtful to cause problems unless you've ever been flagged by Interpol or some similar multi-national agency.
Most countries that have bars, also have waiver procedures. Australia is one such place and they ask on their visa app. If you lie on a tourist visa, it probably won't get caught, but I wouldn't chance it.
But Australia is like China when it comes to drug trafficking convictions so I thought?
Quote: In general:
- Canada is strangely one of the strictest regarding US felons.
...and US non-felons...
...and EU citizens...
...and their own citizens...
“Countries that immediately deny felony entry”

That would be all countries, as “felony entry” is a real time attempt to enter the country illegally. All countries tend to frown upon this.

“Deny entry to felons” is a different subject. [/Grammar Police]
Australia, is a maybe depending on the seriousness of the convictions. All non-Australian Citizens visiting require visas. Visitors with convictions cannot apply of an electronic Visitors visa (601), but need to apply for through an embassy or consulate for a Visitors Visa (600). who will determine whether or not your friend passes the 'character test'.(http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sh...9character.htm)
Sure, your friend can try to enter countries by omitting his history, and there's a good chance nothing will happen.

But if any SHOULD happen (including the unforeseen), your friends would be hosed, and depending on the country, you would be guilty by association as well.

Just something to think about.
Sounds like you need a new, different friend.
Unless you need to apply for a visa in advance that required your criminal record as part of the application then it's extremely unlikely that any country outside North America will dent entry to felons - unless their crime is so serious that its reported to Interpol or similar organisations.

So unless your friend is a Nazi War Criminal, paedophile or wanted terrorist it's extremely unlikely that any country will give a damn.
Quote: Someone I would just be taking a trip with. They are all drug related felonys (trafficking) minus one for vandalism (graffiti). Nothing violet. No weapons charges or anything. He cannot get them expunged given he had a expungement at age 21 for a misdemeanor.

I have head that also regarding entering China/Japan that if you do not mention it they have no way to find out. And that as long as you were to avoid getting in trouble in those countries you SHOULD be fine.

Still am not sure it's something he should risk attempting with 2 drug trafficking felonies it just seems arrogant beyond belief.
And you're really sure that his drug trafficking days are over?

Here's a link to a list of countries that execute drug traffickers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital...ug_trafficking

You'll note that two countries you mention, Malaysia and Thailand, are on it. No way would I risk traveling with this person.
Quote: And you're really sure that his drug trafficking days are over?

Here's a link to a list of countries that execute drug traffickers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital...ug_trafficking

You'll note that two countries you mention, Malaysia and Thailand, are on it. No way would I risk traveling with this person.
Wait, we execute drug traffickers in the US?