Global Entry

Subscribe
Does Global Entry program only help expediting through Customs when entering the country or it provides TSA-Pre sort of benefits as well?

I am getting the perk through my AMEX card so no complaints but just wondering if it has any perks in domestic travel.
It allows sign-up for Pre-check, but does not guarantee anything except customs, i.e. the card has no value for Pre-check access.

By the way, as this is not at all related to AA, this is wrong forum for this question. Mods will probably move the mis-posted thread.

Cheers.
Quote: It allows sign-up for Pre-check, but does not guarantee anything except customs, i.e. the card has no value for Pre-check access.

By the way, as this is not at all related to AA, this is wrong forum for this question. Mods will probably move the mis-posted thread.

Cheers.
Thanks.

That's a little disappointing. I was hoping to get some added value of expedited security checks with this card.
To be clear, Global Entry will give you a Trusted Traveler ID # which can be entered into your FF profile with various airlines. If that airline is in the PreCheck program, you will then be able to get PreCheck at airports which offer it. Of course, it comes with all the caveats that PreCheck is not guaranteed, etc.

My Global Entry based TT# has gotten me PreCheck on US and DL in addition to my AA access first as EXP and later both EXP & GE.
Quote: To be clear, Global Entry will give you a Trusted Traveler ID # which can be entered into your FF profile with various airlines. If that airline is in the PreCheck program, you will then be able to get PreCheck at airports which offer it. Of course, it comes with all the caveats that PreCheck is not guaranteed, etc.

My Global Entry based TT# has gotten me PreCheck on US and DL in addition to my AA access first as EXP and later both EXP & GE.
Don't I need elite flier status to have precheck from the airlines?

Btw, what's GE?
Quote: Don't I need elite flier status to have precheck from the airlines?

Btw, what's GE?
GE is short for Global Entry.

You either need elite status or to have a Trusted Traveller number like from a GE membership. Anyone with a TT# flying domestically on a participaiting airline can be eligible for pre-check. THus having GE membership gives you the possibility of being selected for precheck regardless of status.

One can also use the GE card as a valid ID at the checkpoint, though some ID clerks have not gotten the "memo" on their own policy yet.
Quote: GE is short for Global Entry.

You either need elite status or to have a Trusted Traveller number like from a GE membership. Anyone with a TT# flying domestically on a participaiting airline can be eligible for pre-check. THus having GE membership gives you the possibility of being selected for precheck regardless of status.

One can also use the GE card as a valid ID at the checkpoint, though some ID clerks have not gotten the "memo" on their own policy yet.
This is good info. Reduces my chances of losing the id while going through security check in a hurry.

So how does it work? Is it on the TSA agent if they are going to open a lane for precheck? On President's day weekend, I stood in security check for 40mins at IAD and didn't see any expedited lanes. Also, I have seen TSA Pre lines at CLT before but no other major airports incl. BWI, DCA, ORD, JFK.
Here is a list of the current Precheck locations:

http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fil...-26-2013_0.pdf

There is a separate Precheck lane AT IAD. It is located upstairs at separate location from the normal security lanes.