Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 28, 13, 4:14 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ORD/LGA/DCA
Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select, HHonors Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 1,009
Global Entry

Does Global Entry program only help expediting through Customs when entering the country or it provides TSA-Pre sort of benefits as well?

I am getting the perk through my AMEX card so no complaints but just wondering if it has any perks in domestic travel.
carsnoceans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 13, 4:16 pm   #2
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 31,701
It allows sign-up for Pre-check, but does not guarantee anything except customs, i.e. the card has no value for Pre-check access.

By the way, as this is not at all related to AA, this is wrong forum for this question. Mods will probably move the mis-posted thread.

Cheers.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 13, 4:28 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ORD/LGA/DCA
Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select, HHonors Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
It allows sign-up for Pre-check, but does not guarantee anything except customs, i.e. the card has no value for Pre-check access.

By the way, as this is not at all related to AA, this is wrong forum for this question. Mods will probably move the mis-posted thread.

Cheers.
Thanks.

That's a little disappointing. I was hoping to get some added value of expedited security checks with this card.
carsnoceans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 13, 5:42 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC & PHL
Programs: AA EXP (> 1MM BIS), SPG-G, Marriott-S, Hilton-G, Hertz PC, AMX-P, Global Entry
Posts: 1,949
To be clear, Global Entry will give you a Trusted Traveler ID # which can be entered into your FF profile with various airlines. If that airline is in the PreCheck program, you will then be able to get PreCheck at airports which offer it. Of course, it comes with all the caveats that PreCheck is not guaranteed, etc.

My Global Entry based TT# has gotten me PreCheck on US and DL in addition to my AA access first as EXP and later both EXP & GE.
__________________
You're entitled to your opinion, you're just not entitled to mine.
JMN57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 13, 9:04 am   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ORD/LGA/DCA
Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select, HHonors Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN57 View Post
To be clear, Global Entry will give you a Trusted Traveler ID # which can be entered into your FF profile with various airlines. If that airline is in the PreCheck program, you will then be able to get PreCheck at airports which offer it. Of course, it comes with all the caveats that PreCheck is not guaranteed, etc.

My Global Entry based TT# has gotten me PreCheck on US and DL in addition to my AA access first as EXP and later both EXP & GE.
Don't I need elite flier status to have precheck from the airlines?

Btw, what's GE?
carsnoceans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 13, 9:26 am   #6
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Katane, Trinacria, Italia
Programs: United Plat, AA (no more status), Southwest RR, Alitalia MM, Hilton gold, Marriot UAGold, Accor
Posts: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
Don't I need elite flier status to have precheck from the airlines?

Btw, what's GE?
GE is short for Global Entry.

You either need elite status or to have a Trusted Traveller number like from a GE membership. Anyone with a TT# flying domestically on a participaiting airline can be eligible for pre-check. THus having GE membership gives you the possibility of being selected for precheck regardless of status.

One can also use the GE card as a valid ID at the checkpoint, though some ID clerks have not gotten the "memo" on their own policy yet.
__________________
Writing, the art of communicating thoughts to the mind through the eye, is the great invention of the world-enabling us to converse with the dead, the absent, and the unborn, at all distances of time-A.Lincoln
FlyingHoustonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 13, 12:10 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ORD/LGA/DCA
Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select, HHonors Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian View Post
GE is short for Global Entry.

You either need elite status or to have a Trusted Traveller number like from a GE membership. Anyone with a TT# flying domestically on a participaiting airline can be eligible for pre-check. THus having GE membership gives you the possibility of being selected for precheck regardless of status.

One can also use the GE card as a valid ID at the checkpoint, though some ID clerks have not gotten the "memo" on their own policy yet.
This is good info. Reduces my chances of losing the id while going through security check in a hurry.

So how does it work? Is it on the TSA agent if they are going to open a lane for precheck? On President's day weekend, I stood in security check for 40mins at IAD and didn't see any expedited lanes. Also, I have seen TSA Pre lines at CLT before but no other major airports incl. BWI, DCA, ORD, JFK.
carsnoceans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 13, 2:08 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: IAD
Programs: US-SP; AA-EXP
Posts: 1,004
Here is a list of the current Precheck locations:

http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fil...-26-2013_0.pdf

There is a separate Precheck lane AT IAD. It is located upstairs at separate location from the normal security lanes.
bevoinva is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:10 am.