Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

No PreCheck when flying international

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No PreCheck when flying international

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by cbn42
I think it is a matter of creating a good image in front of foreigners. If you have, for example, a flight from LAX to LHR, there are going to be both American and British citizens on the flight. If the British passengers see that several of the Americans are receiving special treatment while they have to go through extra steps, they are not going to be very happy, and perhaps the British government might object to discrimination against their citizens as well. On a domestic flight everyone is equal, so it is not an issue. Foreigners on a domestic flight are guests in the country and different treatment may be viewed as more justified.
Nonsense.

The US (CBP and TSA) could care less what foreign citizens think of their 'image'.

They don't even care what US citizens think of their 'image', particularly TSA (as should be evident from the attitude displayed by some of our resident TSOs and by many of the TSOs who post on the TSA Blog.

Besides, non-'trusted traveler' and 'trusted travelers' on international itineraries or domestic legs of international itineraries and randomly selected 'trusted travelers' already do not get any preferred treatment.

US citizens with GE already get 'preferred' treatment at customs and it is witnessed by other (non-GE) citizens and foreign citizens alike.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by cbn42
I think it is a matter of creating a good image in front of foreigners. If you have, for example, a flight from LAX to LHR, there are going to be both American and British citizens on the flight. If the British passengers see that several of the Americans are receiving special treatment while they have to go through extra steps, they are not going to be very happy, and perhaps the British government might object to discrimination against their citizens as well. On a domestic flight everyone is equal, so it is not an issue. Foreigners on a domestic flight are guests in the country and different treatment may be viewed as more justified.
This doesn't make sense when international travelers enter foreign countries and see separate lines for "Citizens" vs "Foreigers". I think almost all countries discriminate in this way.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:00 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
This doesn't make sense when international travelers enter foreign countries and see separate lines for "Citizens" vs "Foreigers". I think almost all countries discriminate in this way.
Yes, that's true, but everyone knows that immigration/customs rules are different based on your citizenship, which is completely logical. But there is no reason for security rules to be different. Not a single country that I have ever been to has ever had different security procedures based on citizenship. If you were in line at a security checkpoint and there was a sign saying "______ passport holders must remove shoes and jacket" you would probably be offended as well. But that is basically what will be happening in the US if and when pre-check grows to cover a larger chunk of passengers.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I don't see it as discrimination, simply practicality. The "foreign passport" lanes are slower, because they need visa checks, several questions, etc to clear, while the "Citizens" lane is fast, with usually only a glance at the passport/ID. No sense of having the "citizens" wait behind a difficult case of "foreigner". At EU borders, 10+ "citizens" may pass immigration while one "difficult" foreigner is being processed at the next window.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:28 pm

The most ironic part of no PreCheck for international flights is that when flying back into the country, many of these people will be allowed to keep their shoes and jackets on, as is practiced abroad.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ediemac1
Q. Can passengers access TSA Pre✓™ for international travel?

A. No. At this time, TSA Pre✓™ is only available for passengers traveling domestically on participating airlines. If any leg of an itinerary is international, the passenger will not qualify for TSA Pre✓™ for that itinerary and will go through traditional screening.
Hmmm. I thought that was the case and have not gotten Precheck for two earlier flights this year -- connecting in DTW and ATL. But yesterday, with a connection from DL to AF at JFK -- from T2 to T1 and a security check at T1, I got the welcome 3 beeps at DCA and went through Precheck. I was surprised.
tom
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Why Can't You Use TSA PreClear for Int'l Travel?

When you check in for an international flight you need to present your passport to obtain your boarding pass. THen you go through security and even if you are TSA PreClear you cannot use that line if your itinerary has any international travel. I am not sure why ?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:05 pm

Have a look in the Travel Safety and Security forum. The claim is that the US needs "agreements with other countries" that have not been negotiated. If you think that sounds ridiculous, you're correct. United has no control over the stupidity behind this regulation.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mats
Have a look in the Travel Safety and Security forum. The claim is that the US needs "agreements with other countries" that have not been negotiated. If you think that sounds ridiculous, you're correct. United has no control over the stupidity behind this regulation.
That would account for an outbound flight to another country. However, PreCheck is not available if you are connecting to a US domestic flight after clearing customs in the USA.

Last edited by eclipse_boi; Jan 23, 2013 at 10:08 pm
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Interestingly enough, I left CVG in Dec. to go CVG-ORD-NRT, and did surprisingly get 3 beeps (along with my wife on same itin) in CVG, but I was in the regular line since I figured it was an international trip. This was a standard, 2 hour connection in ORD - so not a stopover where some have reported success, and was all on one itin.

I have no idea why I got the three beeps. The only thing I can think of is that since the TPAC segment was operated by NH, and not a UA flight, somehow the system allowed it.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
What exactly, or even remotely, does this have to do with UA?

BTW, it's PreCheck.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Mats
+1

The only answer you can get here is "Because TSA says so."

TSA haven't explained why; they've simply listed this as one of the restrictions. Perhaps the fact that you're willing to leave the good ol' USA makes you more suspicious. Or maybe they're saving it for a later "improvement" when they need some good press.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Well of course international flights are higher risk... don't you remember 9/11? Why they were BOS-LAX, BOS-LAX, IAD-LAX, EWR-SFO... all international!

And of course, I as pre-cleared couldn't just swap carry-ons post security with my friend Terry Wrist, now could I?

It's just theater and bad theatre at that, but enjoy the show and remember, at today's performance of TSA-Kabuki, the role of screener will be played by an understudy.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by eclipse_boi
That would account for an outbound flight to another country. However, PreCheck is not available if you are connecting to a US domestic flight after clearing customs in the USA.
Laziness would account for the inbound flight limits:

1) TSA doesn't want to set up precheck lanes in the international connection halls.

2) TSA simply codes eligibility in a binary fashion: international segment: yes/no. If yes-->no precheck.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
One can get around it with a separate ticket/PNR.
We did this last week connecting from ZRH-ORD to ORD-DEN.
Checked our one bag only to ORD, then rechecked it at T3, so there was no link between the two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.