Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US Trusted Travelers Can Now Use Arrivals SmartGate in Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Trusted Travelers Can Now Use Arrivals SmartGate in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I am a Canadian citizen residing in Canada.

I am thinking about applying for NEXUS, and then if I get that, I will also get Global Entry.

Would I then be able to use the smartgate benefits when entering Australia?
We don't even have ePassports yet so we can't (though I would advise renewing before the fee increase, unless you have only had it for 1 year or less/traveling on a different passport if that's an option)
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
http://www.customs.gov.au/travellers...gram-trial.asp

"To be eligible to use SmartGate to self-process through Australia’s passport control, US Global Entry Program members must:
•be flying into Australia
•travel on a valid US ePassport; and
•be aged 16 years or older. "

It would appear not if you are travelling on a Canadian passport.
Thanks.

What is an epassport?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
What is an epassport?
An ePassport is a passport with a chip that contains biometric data for identification.

Bit more info on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport

But you would be able to tell as all biometric passports have a symbol on the front as you can see in the pictures from the wikipedia link
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks.

What is an epassport?
A tool used by the Conservatives to scam more money from Canadians under the premise of 'increased costs' when other countries usually offer it for cheaper.
Not to mention that they look much more ugly than the old passports.
(Examples of cheaper ePassports-Italy, Spain, Portugal, HK, UK, Brazil. I can name more as well.)
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:03 am

U.S. Global Entry benefits extended to Australia

Haha we're getting screwed in Australia too don't worry, last time I did a renewal in 2008 it was $220 AUD for a 10 year 32 page passport.

In 2011 I got a same day UK passport done for the equivalent at the time of $180 AUD.

So don't worry, Canadians aren't the only ones getting screwed on passport renewal!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by jozdemir
Haha we're getting screwed in Australia too don't worry, last time I did a renewal in 2008 it was $220 AUD for a 10 year 32 page passport.

In 2011 I got a same day UK passport done for the equivalent at the time of $180 AUD
It's $238 now. It was about $170 when I got mine in Feb 05.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Any news about Global Entry for Australians?

I asked a supervisor at immigration a few months ago, and he said it is going to happen, but he doesn't know when
Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: QFF
Though BNE this morning. AU, NZ, UK and US e-passport holders were being actively sent to the smart gates. While express pass holders with old passports got dumped with the crew slowing both the express passes and the crew down. (got an AU entry stamp in my AU passport because the agent didn't notice it didn't need to be stamped after dealing with 30 EK cabin crew)

any news on GE for AU passports yet?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Plat
Right. Which American politician's backside does our prime minister have to kiss to get a "trial" for GE for Aussies?

Z...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by BarefootBandit
Right. Which American politician's backside does our prime minister have to kiss to get a "trial" for GE for Aussies?

Z...
Apparently it has a lot to do with what information the passport holders country will hand over to US authorities.

I agree that Australia should have reciprocal benefits and it will probably happen, but obviously no one knows any sort of time frame.

I managed to get in with my UK passport and an invite from CBP but I had to get a UK police certificate before I could even submit the application
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
So if we want a stamp in our passport, we have to enter through the standard line, yes?

Any stamps when departing?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by LAXative
So if we want a stamp in our passport, we have to enter through the standard line, yes?

No stamps on departure. If you want a stamp, your best bet is to use the regular lines. But there are lots of CBP people at the smart gates, could ask one of them for a stamp.

-- Dan
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:29 am

Does anyone know if you need to bring you GE card or does this system work automatically if you are enrolled in GE and have an ePassport?

Any other known benefits from bringing a GE card on a trip to Australia?

And for the person who asked earlier about ePassports, I found this on the state department website:
"Since August 2007, the U.S. has been issuing only e-passports. An electronic passport has a small integrated circuit (or “chip”) embedded in the back cover and has a new look with additional anti-fraud and security features."
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:55 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kilbornr
Does anyone know if you need to bring you GE card or does this system work automatically if you are enrolled in GE and have an ePassport?
You officially don't even need to be in GE at this point. You can bring the card if you want to, but it will have no effect/relevance.

http://www.customs.gov.au/smartgate/
Who can use SmartGate?

You are eligible to use SmartGate to self-process through Australia's passport control if you hold an ePassport from the following countries and are aged 16 years or over:
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America
  • Singapore.

Under trial arrangements, you can also use SmartGate if you hold:
  • a Switzerland (Swiss), Canadian or Irish ePassport, and are aged 16 years or over.
  • an Australian ePassport, are aged 10-15 years old and are travelling with a minimum of two adults.

Airline crew who meet these criteria can choose to use SmartGate instead of going through the crew lane.

Australian and New Zealand ePassport holders travelling on military orders are not eligible to use SmartGate.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAXative

Is it that you need to go to the standard line to get a passport stamp? I prefer at least one for each trip but I don't feel I need to maximize the number of stamps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.