Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US Trusted Travelers Can Now Use Arrivals SmartGate in Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Trusted Travelers Can Now Use Arrivals SmartGate in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by 14940674
Do SmartGate users receive expedited Customs screening, or the standard treatment?
standard.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
One caveat is that this requires an passport with the electronic chip in it. Those us us with old passports either have to get a new one or use the standard lines.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:29 pm

Note that Australia, like virtually every other country with automated border gates (e.g., UK, NL, FI, but not CA), allows its own citizens to use the automated gates without any pre-enrollment.

Leave it to the US and Canada to require its own citizens to jump through hoops to do what citizens of other western countries can do routinely.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
So you are US citizen and you used smartgate to enter the country, you would not get a stamp ... I wonder what happened when you depart ... Are there smartgates also, or you go thru the normal immigration? If normal immigration, will you be inconvenient by not having a stamp in your passport?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by LHSEN
So you are US citizen and you used smartgate to enter the country, you would not get a stamp ... I wonder what happened when you depart ... Are there smartgates also, or you go thru the normal immigration? If normal immigration, will you be inconvenient by not having a stamp in your passport?
Everybody, Australians and foreigners, go through normal immigration when leaving Australia. Your information was recorded when you entered, so the immigration officers will be able to see that when they scan your passport upon departure.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:14 pm

Does ICE Really Turn Your Info Over to Australia?

From my reading, there is no pre-registration for US Global Entry members before using the Australian smartgate - it compares your face to the photo embedded in the chip in your passport.

Does that mean that the US has turned over to the Australians a list of all Global Entry members and other identifying information (like passport number)? I don't remember what the privacy statement was, but it seems strange to me that the information is being turned over without prior consent (although perhaps we consented in the fine print when we signed up for Global Entry.)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Does that mean that the US has turned over to the Australians a list of all Global Entry members and other identifying information (like passport number)? I don't remember what the privacy statement was, but it seems strange to me that the information is being turned over without prior consent (although perhaps we consented in the fine print when we signed up for Global Entry.)
The Australians already know your passport number from your ETA. In this partnership, CBP is simply saying that x passport number belongs to a GE member. No other information needs to be disclosed.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
From my reading, there is no pre-registration for US Global Entry members before using the Australian smartgate - it compares your face to the photo embedded in the chip in your passport.

You have agreed to it.

http://www.globalentry.gov/pdfs/GE_Request.pdf

Page 8 of this document contains a privacy statement, which includes:
"...may also be provided to other government agencies (Federal, state, local and/or foreign) as permitted under the Privacy Act of 1974..." blah blah. You are then asked to "certify" yes or no.

The US has a fondness for collecting data on visitors from other countries, I guess it's fair enough that Australia does the same, particularly when granting them access to what could be seen as a privilege, eg quicker immigration for foreigners.

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Nov 19, 2012 at 5:24 pm
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
US citizens or trusted travelers?

I have GE thanks to me being enrolled in NEXUS, so I should get the benefit.
However, Canada doesn't have chip passports, and the chip passport I do have doesn't qualify for the benefit.
Am I able to register?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:20 pm

(deleted)

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:20 pm Reason: misunderstood question
Old Nov 22, 2012, 2:07 pm

Canada is rolling out chipped passports:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/eppt/index.aspx?lang=eng
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Canada is rolling out chipped passports:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/eppt/index.aspx?lang=eng
I know but those cost too much.
I'm renewing mine before the rollout.
Also death of the 48 pg passport =
The only thing I need a Canadian passport for is to go to the US and even then I can get an EDL to cross by land.
Most of the other countries that I visit will accept HK passports without visa, and those that require visas most of the time also require visas for Canadians.
Just another problem with the Harper regime
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
FWIW, when we arrived in SYD on Sat the 1st, the SG system was down and was supposed to be 'till the 12th (IIRC). (The overall wait wasn't so bad as we'd been given Express passes from our FA and were able to skip the regular line to see a Customs Agent)
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I am a Canadian citizen residing in Canada.

I am thinking about applying for NEXUS, and then if I get that, I will also get Global Entry.

Would I then be able to use the smartgate benefits when entering Australia?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I am a Canadian citizen residing in Canada.

I am thinking about applying for NEXUS, and then if I get that, I will also get Global Entry.

Would I then be able to use the smartgate benefits when entering Australia?
http://www.customs.gov.au/travellers...gram-trial.asp

"To be eligible to use SmartGate to self-process through Australia’s passport control, US Global Entry Program members must:
•be flying into Australia
•travel on a valid US ePassport; and
•be aged 16 years or older. "

It would appear not if you are travelling on a Canadian passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.