Wiki Posts
Search

Lost I-94 / New Date

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Lost I-94 / New Date

Hi, everybody!
I've lost my passport, visas (I had two American visas, F1 and B2, both still valid) and my I-94.

My old I-94 (I'm here under a tourist visa) date was December 27th. But I'm here to join college, so I came to apply for several universities. I'm planning on joining college for 2013 Spring.

But most universities can only give me the results and I-20 by January. I didn't want to go back without that document, because it would take much longer to apply for a student visa back in my country.

I was wondering if requesting a new I-94 I'd get a new date, if not, would I be able to apply for an extension, since I don't have my tourist visa anymore (I've got a new passport, but I didn't leave the US yet, so I don't have a new visa yet)?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
Not exactly sure what your point is.

You have an F1 without a valid I-20? Not exactly sure how that's even possible.

I would hardly recommend you stay in the US without a visa, I know that it's technically only required for entry, but you're in for a lot of explaining if stopped, or if you need something that requires a valid US ID.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

I had a F1 visa which would only expire in 2014. But my studies ended in January this year, so I went back to my country. I have, right now, a B2 visa. I'm here under the B2 vis.

The only thing I want is to be legally in the US after the 180 days given to me by the US authority in the airport. Because I'll need at the least a month after the date they gave me to get my new I-20 from the new university I'll be attending. But I've lost my passport and I-94.

Originally Posted by felipegarcia
Not exactly sure what your point is.

You have an F1 without a valid I-20? Not exactly sure how that's even possible.

I would hardly recommend you stay in the US without a visa, I know that it's technically only required for entry, but you're in for a lot of explaining if stopped, or if you need something that requires a valid US ID.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
If you're supposed to begin studying in January then the school should give you your I-20 at the very least a month in advance, if not more. My brother got his in late October / early November to begin mid Jan.

I'm not sure if you will even be able to use that visa because it's tied to your SEVIS number, your status has lapsed/expired and in theory, your record is "cancelled" when you finished your studies, but again, I'm not an expert since I have never transferred / switched schools
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Fernando Cruz
Hi, everybody!
I've lost my passport, visas (I had two American visas, F1 and B2, both still valid) and my I-94.

My old I-94 (I'm here under a tourist visa) date was December 27th. But I'm here to join college, so I came to apply for several universities. I'm planning on joining college for 2013 Spring.

But most universities can only give me the results and I-20 by January. I didn't want to go back without that document, because it would take much longer to apply for a student visa back in my country.

I was wondering if requesting a new I-94 I'd get a new date, if not, would I be able to apply for an extension, since I don't have my tourist visa anymore (I've got a new passport, but I didn't leave the US yet, so I don't have a new visa yet)?
You need to apply for a replacement I-94. You will not be given a new departure date on the new I-94, it will be the same departure date you were given on your original I-94. If you get a replacement I-94 and get your I-20 before the departure date you can apply for a change of status to a F1 and be allowed to stay until it is adjudicated but the change of status must be filed before the departure date. In any case be sure that you obtain a police report for the lost passport and visa.

FB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.