Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Will this work? To be able to greet my arriving fiancée at the gate.

Will this work? To be able to greet my arriving fiancée at the gate.

Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by B748i
What is HA?
HA is the IATA designation for Hawaiian Airlines. You should check the FT glossary and/or do a google search first for terms you don't recognize.

Your question isn't ridiculous. I often consider the same thing while visiting my girlfriend, or when she is visiting me.

You may certainly buy a refundable ticket, enter the secure area, and cancel it later. Also, DOT regulations require all US carriers to provide either a 24 hour refund period (so you can cancel any fare ticketed within 24 hours with no penalty), or a 24 hour hold policy. I believe most carriers offer the 24 hour refund (AA comes to mind as a carrier that offers the 24 hour hold). I'm telling you this so that you don't feel that WN is the only option for you to do this.

Also, if you fly a lot, consider investing in an airline club membership. AA Admiral's Club members are allowed to visit the club for "business" purposes, even if they are not flying that day, as well as invite a guest. "Business" obviously, can be inferred to mean many things, including meeting with someone there to have a discussion.

Edit: I now realize that AA does not have an AC in SMF. I'm not as familiar with the lounges for other airlines, but they may have a similar policy.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Is this saying "do not pay cash" or "do pay cash"?
It is saying "do not pay with cash". Paying with cash can arouse suspicion.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Is this saying "do not pay cash" or "do pay cash"? Not a grammatical error, but a flaw of English language, I think. Or I'm just reading it incorrectly.
It was a flaw in my writing. "Do not buy the same day and do not pay with cash" would have been much better. There is no proof that even these will get you the dreaded SSSS, but it has been suggested. The triplet of danger: One way, cash, walk up fare may be a myth more than anything, but why take a chance?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
If you really loved her you would fly out to meet her and fly back with her
If only my budget allowed, I would do this in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, everybody.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Is this saying "do not pay cash" or "do pay cash"? Not a grammatical error, but a flaw of English language, I think. Or I'm just reading it incorrectly.
Do not pay cash.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:51 pm

Sacramento/SMF.

Fiancée: Hawaiian airlines inbound flight, Terminal B.

Southwest is also in terminal B.

Please, I know this might sound ridiculous to some of you, but just let me be ridiculous this once.

Plan: Buy myself a refundable ticket on Southwest which will allow me to enter the terminal and meet her right at the gate. Go to my flight's gate and cancel (or, would another method of cancellation be better?), I'll just tell them "something came up". I don't care if the refund is super-quick, it won't be a very expensive flight. I'd even be willing to eat a low-price fare (like $74 to SNA) if I couldn't get it refunded.

Any problem with this plan?
yes there are problems with this plan...mainly you are making the whole thing more complicated than it needs be. But I will not tell the process for how simple it is with never having to speak to the airline; though the process was covered in a news article months ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.