Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Sign in using an external account

Old May 8, 12, 6:58 pm   #1

legal name change travel

I have a dilemma I went through an official name change I updated my drivers license, social insurance and Ohip card. I did not update my passport because my honeymoon was booked prior to my name change.
Will I have an problems crossing the border with customs. \My worry is that since I changed my Drivers license, social insurance and Ohip that my new name will appear on their system and U.S border crossing/customs will hassel me and not not let me on to my flight.

I have heard that as long as my boarding pass/reservatios match I am fine. Is this true?

Last edited by elle1980; May 10, 12 at 11:38 am.
elle1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 12, 7:08 pm   #2

Programs: UA1K
Google is your friend:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...iden-name.html
Weddings, Honeymoons and Passports

In short, as long as your ticket, your passport, and any necessary visas match, you should be OK. This is a common question and even if there is some shared information between agencies it should not present a problem.
mcnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 12, 7:21 pm   #3

Hi mcnett,

thank you for your quick response, the issue is, if information is shared between agencies, my passport shows my old first name, so my passport would not be a valid source of identification for travel right? cause it does not show my legal name as is on my drivers license, ohip, etc,
Old May 8, 12, 11:21 pm   #4
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Most people in your kind of situation have no problem when flying to/from/via/over the US.

Most people in your kind of situation will be granted access back into Canada if using such Canadian passport.

This is not a guarantee that you won't have any issues, but the odds of having a problem should be in your favor.

Last edited by essxjay; May 10, 12 at 8:58 am. Reason: wholesale quote unnecessary, removed for readability
GUWonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 12, 7:45 am   #5

Programs: UA 1K, DL, US/AA
For boarding the flight it shouldn't be an issue because you have a DL that matches reservation.

At immigration, you may have a delay because you didn't appear on the passenger manifest under your passport name, but that doesn't mean it will be a huge hassle.

Bring a copy of the document showing the name change and it should be a quick explanation.
drewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 12, 4:42 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle1980 View Post
thank you for your quick response, the issue is, if information is shared between agencies, my passport shows my old first name, so my passport would not be a valid source of identification for travel right? cause it does not show my legal name as is on my drivers license, ohip, etc,
People change names all the time and have no travel problems. If you have ID that matches that on your ticket, just show it at the checkpoint and that takes care of that. When it comes time to show your passport to an airline official to compare with your ticket, present the proof of your name change. For immigration, just show your passport. Make sure that the passport data in your reservation is correct (it need not agree with the name of the reservation itself).
RichardKenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 12, 5:38 pm   #7

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
My experience is in the US, so it may not be as applicable to you, but I would not be concerned. I changed my first name to the name I had been using since age six, when I was in my 30s. Furthermore, because security was much more lax when I got my driver's license, I had a nickname on my DL. Short version, passport and DL both had different first names, though the last name was the same.

Nobody brought it up, even when traveling internationally that my passport did not match the first name on my ticket. I carried the Judge's order on my name change, to serve as legal proof until I changed my passport, but I never needed to produce it.

I think name changes are so common, due to women changing their name when they get married, that as long as the travel documents and the ID match, it will never come up. If asked, though, you can tell the truth, as presumably, you did nothing illegal.
Old May 10, 12, 11:34 am   #8

thanks so much