Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 8, 12, 9:45 pm   #1

Red face Flying with Expired Driver's License, but LOC card acceptable ?

Hi I have looked over several threads from last few years on the subject of flying with an expired driver's license.
I moved to be with my boyfriend several months ago. Since I live near a city and now use public transportation, I didn't notice my DL had expired until a few weeks ago.
I'm now waiting on my birth certificate to be mailed to me since I need it to get new ID in this state.
My boyfriend and I are flying to a Wedding cross country this week, so I won't have new id yet.
So my driver's id expired 3 months ago, but if that isn't good enough I do have a Library of Congress Reader also.
Should this be good enough to pass through ?
I have seen some TSOs trying to be of help on other Flyertalk threads.
They say that they're trained to accept licenses that are less than a year expired, but I can not find this cited anywhere online ....
Additionally my bf was injured last week running, so he is wearing a foot boot and I will need to help him in the airport. He also runs late so Im fearful of TSA turning down my id which would make my bf mad at me if we miss our flight because of my oversight ......

Advice and prayers greatly appreciated !
WorryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 12, 10:53 pm   #2
Moderator: Hilton HHonors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
you have a lot of worries - here's one by one

1) can you get a car service or taxi to the airport? Be at your home at XXX time to leave. If he's in a cast you do NOT want to be late in case security takes longer. And if he runs late let him be mad at you all he wants, if you KNOW to leave extra time and he doesn't then it's on him.

2) I have also heard the less than a year thing on DL's and i have successfully used my 3 year old exp license until just a few mos ago. With your license and LOC card you will PROBABLY be OK but again you will need to leave extra time in case TSA is a pain. Or if you have any other picture ID, student id etc

It WOULD be folly NOT to leave extra time because of both the injury and iD issues so if you don't it is at your own risk. Good luck!
Old Apr 9, 12, 6:44 am   #3
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
The TSA does try to look at expiration dates despite the fact that your identity doesn't expire just because a printed date somewhere gives a piece of paper or plastic an expiration date. If they make an issue of it for me, then that is what I inform them when traveling with my expired government-issued pieces of plastic. Things may take up to 20 minutes extra for me, but that is only when the TSA doesn't decide to accept my indications on how to validate that I am the person who has multiple pieces of documentation that indicate I am who I am and do provide items that some commercial database being used by them can confirm.
Old Apr 9, 12, 7:19 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have two different issues. Depending on the specific airport, you should either allow more time or a lot more time.

1. Having nothing to do with the checkpoint, if your BF is moving slowly, you should determine whether he can readily get to the gate or whether he needs wheel chair assistance (realize he can walk, but can he walk distance at a good clip).

2. As to the checkpoint, his screening will take some additional time. TSA is very used to dealing with the situation and can do so in a manner appropriate to his medical needs.

3. As to ID, you need to be identified and govt-issued photo ID is one way to do that. It is the quickest and least burdensome. If you cannot obtain new photo ID before your departure date, I would bring another ID if you have one (passport?). Beyond that, a combination of documents which lead to your identity such as utility bills in your name, magazine labels in your name, non-govt photo ID (work ID?), credit cards in your name and the like. All of this can take anywhere from an extra 5 to an extra 30-40 mins.

If your BF is habitually late, you will simply need to plan that in. In addition to all of the other factors, schedule a time with an extra 30 mins before departure and if he's 15 mins. late, you will still leave 15 mins. early.

The key to success here is simply to allow a great deal of extra time for every step.
Often1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 12, 8:15 am   #5
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorryGirl View Post
Additionally my bf was injured last week running, so he is wearing a foot boot and I will need to help him in the airport. He also runs late so Im fearful of TSA turning down my id which would make my bf mad at me if we miss our flight because of my oversight ......
Both of you need to be there early just in case. He may need additional screening because of the boot, you may need additional screening or verification because you may or may not have an ID they will accept.

Running late is not an option, it's a recipe for disaster.

As to accepting an expired ID, they are pretty clear on their website that they do not accept expired ID's. In practice, it seems to be a bit different, and they may accept it. Again, you need to bring what else you have and get there early in case they need to verify. They may look at it and wave you through so you are early, no big deal. But if they need to do other verification, you want to leave time.
Old Apr 9, 12, 10:34 am   #6

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If you have a current passport, you can use that with no issues.

I generally use my expired DL at TSA checkpoints. Generally, I do not receive any pushback from the document checkers. At most, they generally just let me know it's expired and send me on my merry way. I wouldn't sweat it. Just show your expired ID and, if they say anything, just tell them you're still waiting for your new ID to arrive. I haven't had any issues at ORD, RIC, TPA, EWR, SEA, FLL, MSP, or BDL using my expired DL. If they are insistent on an additional piece of identification (really just something else that has your name on it), you can show them a credit card, student ID, costco card, etc. Just has to have your name on it.

For the record, LGA people seem to HATE expired IDs, so if you're planning on flying through there and want minimal hassle, just have anything else with your name on it as proof that your identity has not expired along with your license (seriously - the lady at LGA said that she couldn't be sure my IDENTITY was valid since the license was expired). My United Club card with expiration later in 2012 was sufficient corroboration.
Old Apr 10, 12, 10:17 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
If you have a current passport, you can use that with no issues.

I generally use my expired DL at TSA checkpoints. Generally, I do not receive any pushback from the document checkers. At most, they generally just let me know it's expired and send me on my merry way. I wouldn't sweat it. Just show your expired ID and, if they say anything, just tell them you're still waiting for your new ID to arrive. I haven't had any issues at ORD, RIC, TPA, EWR, SEA, FLL, MSP, or BDL using my expired DL. If they are insistent on an additional piece of identification (really just something else that has your name on it), you can show them a credit card, student ID, costco card, etc. Just has to have your name on it.

For the record, LGA people seem to HATE expired IDs, so if you're planning on flying through there and want minimal hassle, just have anything else with your name on it as proof that your identity has not expired along with your license (seriously - the lady at LGA said that she couldn't be sure my IDENTITY was valid since the license was expired). My United Club card with expiration later in 2012 was sufficient corroboration.
Appreciate the advice. Guess it's time to pony up for my Costco renewal.
WorryGirl is offline   Reply With Quote