Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How do you handle expensive watches (and jewelry) through airport security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

For those of you who own expensive watches (or other expensive jewelry I guess) What do you guys do when it comes time to go through the metal detector? I see people leave it on and get wanded, seen it put in shoes, or put into a soft case in the carry on bag and immediately removed on the other side.

Whats your strategy to minimized damage/loss/theft/TSA stupidity?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by silam
For those of you who own expensive watches (or other expensive jewelry I guess) What do you guys do when it comes time to go through the metal detector? I see people leave it on and get wanded, seen it put in shoes, or put into a soft case in the carry on bag and immediately removed on the other side.

Whats your strategy to minimized damage/loss/theft/TSA stupidity?

I always put my watch, keys, wallet in my backpack or carryon when going through the xray. I don't trust leaving them in those buckets while going through the machine. If I get delayed going through the machine, it wouldn't be too hard for someone to swipe them before I even go through the detector.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I keep mine one, and it doesn't usually trigger the detector, should it, then they just wand it over.

Disclaimer: I don't fly through the US often.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 3:44 pm

I have many Rolex's.

Wear each one through and never been detained.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:21 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I have an extensive watch collection. I typically don't travel with any of my very high-end watches in tow.
I have a few $200 to $500 watches that I typically wear on business and pleasure while traveling. My favorite traveling watch is actually a Croton Titanium that I purchased many years ago for about $200. Being Titanium, it's ultra-light, stylish, and unique. The few times I wore it through the MD, it did not set off the alarm. It's quartz movement so I never have to worry about it keeping time or being wound for the 3 years that the battery usually lasts. Best investment I ever made.
I leave the high-end watches in my collection at home, in my collection. Not worth damaging or losing them when I travel, as my schedule can be hectic.

Regardless of the watch;
I typically put them in my carry-on through the X-Ray. I rarely leave them on. When I leave my hotel or Home, I already have my jewelry in my carry-on. Once through Security, then I finish "Dressing".
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:26 pm

Could be wrong................but:

My everyday watch is over $10K. I still don't take it off.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My watch is actually built into my phone (yes, hard to believe, though they actually have had them now for 15+ years), making one on the wrist redundant.

So the "watch" goes into the gray bin along with the wallet and belt.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:15 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by dssxxxx
Could be wrong................but:

My everyday watch is over $10K. I still don't take it off.
My watches in that category stay at home. I wear them, but not when I travel.
I do have a Tag that I paid about $2k for that I wear a bit when I travel, but my $10k's are in the crib. Spinning slowly and very comfortable. Especially the Patek.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I have a Brietling and several others I love. I am a watch guy.

I now put my watch, wallet and all other valuables in the front pouch of my swiss army backpack and lock it with a TSA lock. No problem so far.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I have a Brietling and several others I love. I am a watch guy.

I now put my watch, wallet and all other valuables in the front pouch of my swiss army backpack and lock it with a TSA lock. No problem so far.
I dont typically wear my Breitling or JLC when traveling. I have at times though. When I have, I either just wear them through or put them in by briefcase/backpack.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I know some who buy the Oakley Watch Vault and put it in there and then into their carry-on while travelling. Myself, I just take it off and put it into the zippered front compartment of my carry-on.

The issue isn't often how to get it through TSA, it's how to bring it back in without getting accused of buying it overseas (from an international trip). It's happened only very rarely for me but I've been questioned a few times. I always bring a photocopy of my receipt (if bought locally) or the customs forms showing duties were paid.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:45 pm

Haven't owned a watch in over 30 yrs, never wear any jewelry and the only metal I carry thru the detectors is stuff that was "installed" both with and without my express written permission.. All the little things I take with me go into the plastic bins.

The wife, OTOH, will occasionally travel with some very expensive trinkets. She never takes them off or lets them get out of her sight. Never had any real problem going thru security; just sometimes gets an extra "wanding."
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Breitling goes in my shoe.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:12 pm

I tend to put all things of any value in my carry-on luggage, which I sometimes lock with a padlock before going through security. I really don't like using those open plastic trays for valuables, which seem to me to be an invitation for someone (fellow passenger or security worker) to take something or for mix-ups to happen.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:20 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this concerns airport security, please follow as it moves to the dedicated FlyerTalk forum on that subject. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.