Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How do you handle expensive watches (and jewelry) through airport security?

How do you handle expensive watches (and jewelry) through airport security?

Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for those of you who kept it on topic.

My experience is a leather band has not set off the metal detector. I used to take off a watch with a metal band, but that was in the pre strip search era, where I felt like I had better control of and less separation from my valuables.

I can understand the concern some of you have with taking your valuables with you into unfamiliar or potentially riskier areas. Its always an equation between risk (losing) and reward (getting to enjoy what you worked for). How much of this equation is based on the location you are traveling to? For items like watches and rings, they seldom leave your person, so even storing them in a hotel is a risk you usually do not have to take (although there still are times when they are best removed).

For those of you who have poor reading comprehension - this thread isn't about using your cell phone or bragging about what you own. Its simply about how you transport valuable things that are often kept on your person.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by silam
Thanks for those of you who kept it on topic.

My experience is a leather band has not set off the metal detector. I used to take off a watch with a metal band, but that was in the pre strip search era, where I felt like I had better control of and less separation from my valuables.

I can understand the concern some of you have with taking your valuables with you into unfamiliar or potentially riskier areas. Its always an equation between risk (losing) and reward (getting to enjoy what you worked for). How much of this equation is based on the location you are traveling to? For items like watches and rings, they seldom leave your person, so even storing them in a hotel is a risk you usually do not have to take (although there still are times when they are best removed).

For those of you who have poor reading comprehension - this thread isn't about using your cell phone or bragging about what you own. Its simply about how you transport valuable things that are often kept on your person.
But those that had to name the brand of their watch and their reasons for not wearing them out in the big bad world were on topic?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by mnmme
Your suppose to be IMPRESSED with the mere fact that they own one.

Why would you believe someone owned an expensive watch, if they never took it out of the closet/safe/valt/safe deposit box.............

This article asked about - expensive - the rich people just felt they needed to tell you their watch brand so you new how rich!
Hey........I have a lot of Rolex's and so does my wife. We wear them. When you have it, flaunt it.

I also carry a $50K rider on my homeowners for "unscheduled" jewelry.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by dssxxxx
Hey........I have a lot of Rolex's and so does my wife. We wear them. When you have it, flaunt it.

I also carry a $50K rider on my homeowners for "unscheduled" jewelry.
I point being, the initial poster didn't ask what type of watch do you own and do you wear it to the airport.

Why the half the posters felt a need to address a question(s) that wasn't asked, can only lead one to believe...................
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:47 am

I point being, the initial poster didn't ask what type of watch do you own and do you wear it to the airport.

Why the half the posters felt a need to address a question(s) that wasn't asked, can only lead one to believe...................
You must be a jerk.

Read the thread........my answer was number 4.

You don't read, or look any further than your nose, do something else.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by dssxxxx
You must be a jerk.

Read the thread........my answer was number 4.

You don't read, or look any further than your nose, do something else.
Had a non-jerk read quote to me. They agree poster doesn't ask us FTer's to identify what brand of watch we wear?

Just what we do with expensive jewlery - which may include a watch - at security.

The poster also doesn't ask anyone's opinion of why they don't wear their watch to the airport.

Poster #3 seemed to be able to answer the question without pointing out the brand of watch he wore.

Why did you?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've never taken my watch or medic alert bracelet off at security. They are the only pieces of jewelry I wear when traveling, and neither has been a problem.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 2:42 pm

> Whats your strategy to minimized damage/loss/theft/TSA stupidity?

My everyday watch is, um, expensive. I do not take it off; ever since TSA
Supv Renee Zima tried to steal it. She no longer works for the TSA. Seems
the Airport Police caught her using her TSA badge, trying to steal one of their
K9's. Amazing. She had other "misuse of badge" problems ... one of them is
documented on YouTube.

I find it easier to opt out. Always. If asked why I'm opt'ing out, I politely
and calmly explain that a TSA supv in Detroit once attempted to steal my
watch.

If you travel with any valuables, NEVER let your bag leave your sight. NEVER.
Three weeks ago, I had to re-educate a TSA worker at BWI who insisted that
I was not allowed to keep my eyes on my gear. He lost.

Know their rules. Insist that they follow their rules. When they do not
follow their rules, file a written report w/names, dates & times.

Be polite. Be respectful. Be very firm.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by dranz
> Whats your strategy to minimized damage/loss/theft/TSA stupidity?

My everyday watch is, um, expensive. I do not take it off; ever since TSA
Supv Renee Zima tried to steal it. She no longer works for the TSA. Seems
the Airport Police caught her using her TSA badge, trying to steal one of their
K9's. Amazing. She had other "misuse of badge" problems ... one of them is
documented on YouTube.

I find it easier to opt out. Always. If asked why I'm opt'ing out, I politely
and calmly explain that a TSA supv in Detroit once attempted to steal my
watch.

If you travel with any valuables, NEVER let your bag leave your sight. NEVER.
Three weeks ago, I had to re-educate a TSA worker at BWI who insisted that
I was not allowed to keep my eyes on my gear. He lost.

Know their rules. Insist that they follow their rules. When they do not
follow their rules, file a written report w/names, dates & times.

Be polite. Be respectful. Be very firm.
As a funny (ironic?) side note - Both coming and going through FRA last week was told - very nicely - I DIDN'T need to take my watch off.

Here I have a zipped compartment inside my zipped compartment of my backpack that I D ring the two zippers together.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
As a gentleman of leisure, I have no need to be encumbered by a Patek Phillippe. But if I did, I would have my personal assistant place it in a compartment in my rollaboard that could be locked before approaching the checkpoint.

Seriously though, it bugs me to see people with elite tags futz around with keys, coins, phones, etc. right before putting their stuff through the x-ray. I have that all stowed before I get to the Trained Document Checker.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres

Well i think by knowing what type of watches, and what they cost, it helps put in perspective how people treat them. By saying "i always put my watch in the bin" vs "oh i never take it off" it helps to be able to know just how much money the poster is willing to entrust to the TSA vs keep on them
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: viennois
Could be wrong................but:

My watch is over $10K. I still don't take it off.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:19 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm not too worried about someone stealing my $40.00 Casio watch--but since it never sets off the metal detector it stays on my wrist.
But, lots of NON-AIRPORT security exists (which uses the airport security model):
(1)Most of the major museums in Paris
(2)At Zurich airport, entrance to the observation deck [there is no direct access to the departure areas]
(3)Many federal buildings in the USA
If the metal detectors are set off you may be separated from your valuables (which might not always be visible to you).
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Everything goes inside a locked compartment of my carry-on before I put it in the x-ray.

If the TSOs are trust-worthy, they won't mind. If they get hot under the collar, that reassures me that I made the right decision in locking my bag.

If they are honest and have no intention of rifling my bag out of my sight, if they have nothing to hide, they won't mind. Besides, they know I am also protecting myself from the other passengers they try to blame checkpoint thefts on.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:35 am

We must remember that the smart thieves pay attention
to these forums and what folks post about how they keep
their valuables secure... not that I am paranoid or anything.

The most valuable asset I travel with is myself... and I chose
to not make myself a target by looking rich with a watch or
jewelry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.