Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 12, 12, 6:23 am   #1

Programs: UA, US, DL, AA, AC, SQ
Schengen Landing/Arrival/Immigration Card

Hi all, my mom is looking to join me on a tour in the Netherlands. She doesn't usually know how to fill in immigration cards without some help. And as she is arriving from another city, are these cards usually available in embassies or at airport check in? She doesn't need a visa, but could do with some language assistance with immigration formalities. Thanks.
SAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 12, 6:30 am   #2

There are no forms to complete for entry into Schengen countries.
Aviatrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 12, 6:44 am   #3

Oh! This is strange. So only a visa-waiver-eligible passport is required then?
Old Mar 12, 12, 11:32 pm   #4

yeh passport and her ticket, etc which shows she will leave by a certain date if she is not from EU
cdn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 1:36 am   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen View Post
Hi all, my mom is looking to join me on a tour in the Netherlands. She doesn't usually know how to fill in immigration cards without some help. And as she is arriving from another city, are these cards usually available in embassies or at airport check in? She doesn't need a visa, but could do with some language assistance with immigration formalities. Thanks.
Curious, what language(s) does she speak? If it's just English, she'll have no problems navigating Dutch immigration and customs.

As far as availability, the embassies can certainly help. Some airports hand the cards out at boarding, others do it on the airplane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
There are no forms to complete for entry into Schengen countries.
There certainly are. Every non-EU passport holder is required to fill out an arrival card at their first point of entry into the Schengen area. Granted, they're pretty straightforward, but they are there.
MavSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 1:49 am   #6

Quote:
Oh! This is strange?
Why is it strange? I haven't travelled outside Europe enough to know how common Immigration forms are... but they've always been the exception rather than the rule in Europe. And my European travels go back long before the Schengen days.

I remember filling in a form at the Greek land border in 1977. I think there were forms to fill in for some Eastern European countries before the Iron Curtain came down. But the majority of countries, even back then, required nothing more than a passport, with no form-filling.

I don't know what the precise situation is these days, but I don't think there are many European countries, other than the UK, that require visitors to fill in forms.
Old Mar 13, 12, 6:31 am   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavSeven View Post
Curious, what language(s) does she speak? If it's just English, she'll have no problems navigating Dutch immigration and customs.

As far as availability, the embassies can certainly help. Some airports hand the cards out at boarding, others do it on the airplane.

There certainly are. Every non-EU passport holder is required to fill out an arrival card at their first point of entry into the Schengen area. Granted, they're pretty straightforward, but they are there.
Thanks MavSeven and Aviatrix - she speaks mandarin. seems like we have two views about whether there are forms - just makes things more difficult if there are.
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:02 am   #8

Quote:
This is not true. I haven't filled out a landing card in a long time. I thought the last hold-out was France, and I haven't seen any landing cards here for years. I can't speak for the Netherlands from experience, but I haven't filled out a card for non-Schengen arrival in Germany or France in years.
Louie_LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 7:55 am   #9

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, Le Club Silver, SPG, Hertz, Avis
Quote:
Since when? I have never ever seen a Schengen entry card handed out to non-EU passport holders. Please provide a link or documentation about this arrival card.
Old Mar 13, 12, 8:50 am   #10

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspritz78 View Post
Since when? I have never ever seen a Schengen entry card handed out to non-EU passport holders. Please provide a link or documentation about this arrival card.
I received one for Spain last month. I did not get one for CDG/France last month (and I can't remember the last time I got one for France). I believe I had one for London in January.
Global_Hi_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 12, 9:18 am   #11
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
The UK is not part of Schengen even as it is part of the EU.

Quote:
Every non-EU passport holder is required to fill out an arrival card at their first point of entry into the Schengen area. Granted, they're pretty straightforward, but they are there.
As a US citizen, I have thousands of entries into the Schengen zone that have been done on my US passport without filling out any landing cards. France was sort of an exception to that, but in more recent times they have not been asking me to present filled-in landing cards either. Spain is the closest thing to an exception now, whereby the exception is that of a US citizen having to fill out a landing card to enter the Schengen zone.

Most EU Schengen ports of entry do not require me to fill out an arrival/landing card.
Old Mar 13, 12, 11:18 am   #12

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, Le Club Silver, SPG, Hertz, Avis
Spain is actually the only Schengen country with arrival cards but this is not a Schengen arrival card but a Spanish national arrival card.
Old Mar 13, 12, 11:21 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Netherlands hasn't had landing cards in years. Cyprus has one but not sure what became of it post-Schengen entry.
Old Mar 13, 12, 11:41 am   #14

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Silver, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Quote:
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Cyprus has one but not sure what became of it post-Schengen entry.
Cyprus does not have one (Cyprus has not implemented the Schengen Agreement yet). Neither does Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Germany, Luxembourg, Bulgaria, Belgium, Netherlands, Lithuania, or Sweden - these are all countries I have been to recently.
Old Mar 13, 12, 3:31 pm   #15

Quote:
Thanks MavSeven and Aviatrix - she speaks mandarin. seems like we have two views about whether there are forms - just makes things more difficult if there are.
I wasn't aware that Spain hands out landing cards to non-EU passport holders. It would appear, from subsequent posts, that they are the odd one out here.

DEFINITELY no landing cards for arrival in the Netherlands. I fly into the Netherlands from outside Schengen at least at least once every couple of months, and have never seen cards handed out on the flight or at the Immigration checkpoint.