Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 4, 12, 9:36 am   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 22
Will my hot pot pass TSA?

Would there be any reason why I couldn't take this through the TSA checkpoints? It'll be in my rollaboard.... probably stuffed with socks to safe space haha.



It's a 32 oz hot water electric pot. I normally travel with it on vacation, but it has always flown in my checked luggage. I would think it would be ok.... but you all are the experts!! HELP- TIA!!
sdsorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 12, 9:43 am   #2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Silver, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsorority View Post
Would there be any reason why I couldn't take this through the TSA checkpoints? It'll be in my rollaboard.... probably stuffed with socks to safe space haha.



It's a 32 oz hot water electric pot. I normally travel with it on vacation, but it has always flown in my checked luggage. I would think it would be ok.... but you all are the experts!! HELP- TIA!!
No reason why you cannot take it in your carry-on. But then again, TSA makes up rules as they go along so be prepared to argue in defense of your electric kettle.
__________________
Somebody has to do something, and its incredibly pathetic that it has to be us. Jerry Garcia
STBCypriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 12, 9:56 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Programs: DL MM Gold
Posts: 1,598
Should be fine, unless you're in Hawaii, in which case they may require you to pump breast milk into it.
TheRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 12, 9:57 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 17,767
No reason - as long as it's empty ! Seriously, internal wiring may look odd on X-ray so be prepared for a secondary inspection. So allow, 5 extra mins.
Often1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 12, 10:03 am   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 22
I could just carry it out with me and put it directly in the bin I guess.
sdsorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 12, 10:13 am   #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Posts: 3,849
ODDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
No reason - as long as it's empty ! Seriously, internal wiring may look odd on X-ray so be prepared for a secondary inspection. So allow, 5 extra mins.
Odds are , you will be fine. But as pointed out, depends on who or where the TSA may take interest and err on the side of caution. Can you carry the instruction pages of the pot to show to teh skeptical agent../ supervisor in case ?
HMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 12, 11:46 am   #7
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 23,560
We often carry a mini water kettle in carryon. We have never been questioned nor had to remove it for additional screening.
SanDiego1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 12, 1:18 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 2,069
I just sent a breadmaker as checked baggage on a flight last week and the TSA baggage screeners let it go through without opening the taped box.
susiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 12, 2:21 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PHL
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsorority View Post
I could just carry it out with me and put it directly in the bin I guess.
That's the fastest way to do it.
scott523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 12, 6:04 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadie View Post
Should be fine, unless you're in Hawaii, in which case they may require you to pump breast milk into it.
ROTFL!

I routinely travel with a "George Forman" grill. I've learned when Im running late to pull it out of my hand bag and put it in a bin. Makes for an easier security check point.
hotdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 am.