Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged baggage claim procedure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:13 am
Original Poster

TSA Claim form question: Theft from Luggage

For those who have followed and answered my thread about TSA SOP for opening/closing checked luggage, I thank you for your replies and insights.

I have a question now on the claim for itself.

The claim form (SF 95-109) states "CLAIM FOR DAMAGE, INJURY, OR DEATH"

Ok, they have my attention.

However, where does theft/missing items fall in this continuum?

Block 8 states "Basis of Claim" - uh, my items were in my bag when I packed, locked, and checked it. When I received my bag, the bag was in a transparent plastic bag, open with items spilling out.

Cost of suitcase? Pointless to deal with both the airline and TSA monkeys on this one. Even though it was a new Samsonite on its second voyage, they will both not cover it, I am 99.999999% sure.

Contents that are missing? Therein is the pisser.

How do I claim them on this form? I have receipts and all related documentary evidence showing when purchased and price paid.

However, the convenient position of the TSA without out something like an ex ante packing list/inventory signed by the TSA is glaring.

I am going to give it a shot anyhow. Any advice or past experiences that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
I think the "injury" or "death" provisions apply to the shipment of live animals.

At least I hope so!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Can anybody else add anything?

These forms are cryptic - not a big surprise.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: VX elevate ,CO Gold,DL GM
i would like to hear more
i just talk to a friend who had camera stolen from checked bag she is check to see if she had lugage insurance through travel agent
i told her to check home owner insurance
she filed a claim at airport
what else
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This claim form is a one-size-fits-all claim form an individual must use to file a damage claim against any government agency for anything. In my military career, I had to file this form a couple of times for damage to household goods during military permanent change of station moves. If you're run over by an Army tank, your survivors would file this form. Yes, the form is designed to be very hard to fill out and is designed to make it easy for an agency to which you had file a claim to reject it because the form wasn't filled out properly.

A competent, ethical, and accountable TSA would have examples of this form properly filled out to show you how to file a damage claim for luggage. But, the sun will turn into a supernova before this happens.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM
Slightly OT - TSA contents damage?

Hi All,

Had this on the BAEC board and was recommended to move it to here.

Travelled back from EWR a few days ago. Once I got how I saw that one of my suitcases had the extension zip open and assumed that TSA had opened it.

This is indeed what happened. But on this occasion, they opened it and re-packed it in the most horrible, throwing random things in pockets, etc and a number of items got damaged (e.g. had my US GPS in there well wrapped in its travelling case, they removed it and put it in an outside pocket, screen up!). Even the TSA approved padlock was missing!

Anyway, my question is - is it worth complaining to TSA? Does travel insurance cover damage by TSA?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have no problem with the security procedure and have had bags checked in the past, but never such damage.

Thanks,

Irubi
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: TSA
You can file a claim with TSA here :

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/claims/index.shtm

I have heard of claims being settled immediately, and some not so immediately. You should recieve a notice and response back from them, and this is the proper place to begin a complaint. If you have trouble with the claims process, you may contact the airports you transitted here :

https://contact.tsa.dhs.gov/talktotsa/talktotsa.aspx

I am sorry that you had a bad experience and I hope this works out well for you!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:38 am

Hi gsolto,

Many thanks for the swift response.

I have travelled in and out of the States many many time over the years and since the new screening methods have been in place. This is not the first time that my bags have been checked, but is the first time that it has been done this way and damage caused, so I appreciate that this is a very isolated incident and not a standard at all.

Appreciate being sent in the right direction and will get that mail out today.

Thanks again ^

Irubi
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Irubi
Anyway, my question is - is it worth complaining to TSA? Does travel insurance cover damage by TSA?
It probably can't hurt to file a claim with the TSA. I wouldn't bet on getting any useful response from them, though.

It is possible that filing such a claim could result in TSA employees taking action against you next time you fly, but unlikely unless you're a regular flyer and they're able to match your name to your baggage.

(Otherwise, your baggage might disappear entirely, or you personally spend an hour in the Plexiglas "Penalty Box" and miss your flight, like Stacey Armato after she filed her complaint against the checkpoint personnel.)
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: TSA
Hi gsolto,

Many thanks for the swift response.

I have travelled in and out of the States many many time over the years and since the new screening methods have been in place. This is not the first time that my bags have been checked, but is the first time that it has been done this way and damage caused, so I appreciate that this is a very isolated incident and not a standard at all.

Appreciate being sent in the right direction and will get that mail out today.

Thanks again ^

Irubi
Not a problem, and good luck!

Originally Posted by Caradoc
It probably can't hurt to file a claim with the TSA. I wouldn't bet on getting any useful response from them, though.

It is possible that filing such a claim could result in TSA employees taking action against you next time you fly, but unlikely unless you're a regular flyer and they're able to match your name to your baggage.

(Otherwise, your baggage might disappear entirely, or you personally spend an hour in the Plexiglas "Penalty Box" and miss your flight, like Stacey Armato after she filed her complaint against the checkpoint personnel.)
Wow....
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Wow....
Are you now going to claim that the PHX TSAs actions against Stacey Armato were not punitive in nature?

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if you did.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:52 pm

Hi All,

Had this on the BAEC board and was recommended to move it to here.

Travelled back from EWR a few days ago. Once I got how I saw that one of my suitcases had the extension zip open and assumed that TSA had opened it.

This is indeed what happened. But on this occasion, they opened it and re-packed it in the most horrible, throwing random things in pockets, etc and a number of items got damaged (e.g. had my US GPS in there well wrapped in its travelling case, they removed it and put it in an outside pocket, screen up!). Even the TSA approved padlock was missing!

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have no problem with the security procedure and have had bags checked in the past, but never such damage.

Thanks,

Irubi
It doesn't sound like you had any damage other than the padlock (which we've all had many missing before). I doubt it's worth your time.
For what it's worth I did win a claim with the TSA. It took a month or so. After granting the claim they just never sent a check. YMMV.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by khurley
It doesn't sound like you had any damage other than the padlock (which we've all had many missing before). I doubt it's worth your time.
For what it's worth I did win a claim with the TSA. It took a month or so. After granting the claim they just never sent a check. YMMV.
I think you missed this in the OP's post...sounds like there was a fair bit of damage to items:
But on this occasion, they opened it and re-packed it in the most horrible, throwing random things in pockets, etc and a number of items got damaged (e.g. had my US GPS in there well wrapped in its travelling case, they removed it and put it in an outside pocket, screen up!). Even the TSA approved padlock was missing!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 2:06 am

Sorry folks, was out of contact for a few days.

Yes, there was more damage than the padlock. I obviously wouldn't bother for a padlock!

I e-mailed the contact address given to me. I received a response the same day with an apology for the trouble and a copy of the claim form to fill in and file. Very impressed with the service.

I would like to think that the TSA has much better things to do than look for people who have filed a compensation calim and single them out next time. Yes, I do travel frequently and have had the bags checked before, first time with damage though.

I have also complained to airlines before, have received responses and compensation and haven't felt any effects on further flights. I think this process is just part of the day to day.

Thanks for the thoughts and comments ^
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:35 am
Suspended

I e-mailed the contact address given to me. I received a response the same day with an apology for the trouble and a copy of the claim form to fill in and file. Very impressed with the service.
In your shoes, I'd hold off on the compliments until they've actually settled the claim.

A number of folks have reported nearly-instant responses to queries, then simply getting their claims denied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.