Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Passports are now not valid for TSA security for domestic flights?

Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

I showed a TDC my passport yesterday, and he asked me if I had a driver's license. I just stared at him. He asked again, and I said that I thought a passport was valid ID. He said they are only for international flights. I said I will be connecting to an international flight. He stared at the passport for a few seconds and let me through.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: none
So the passsport WAS acceptable as ID?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:12 pm
Suspended

lol... yes, a passport is acceptable ID. Passport, passport card, Nexus or other trusted traveler card, military ID, state-issued photo ID -- all of these are allowed. Your TSO was simply too dumb or wanted to give you a hard time.

--Jon
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
From their web site:

Acceptable IDs include:

U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DOD civilians)
Permanent Resident Card
Border Crossing Card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
A Native American Tribal Photo ID
An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
A foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There have been posts before about the TSA deciding you could not use a passport on a domestic flight, and the TSA deciding you could not use a drivers license for an international flight.

It's just the agents making up their own rules again. Fill out a comment card so they can be assimilated
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
I showed a TDC my passport yesterday, and he asked me if I had a driver's license. I just stared at him. He asked again, and I said that I thought a passport was valid ID. He said they are only for international flights. I said I will be connecting to an international flight. He stared at the passport for a few seconds and let me through.
I'd say the officer couldn't think of a better way to say he wasn't satisfied. Such as the photo or condition. Is a passport a valid form of ID on domestic flights? Definitely. Is it as fast/easy as checking a drivers license? No, but not impossible. Since passports are more susceptible to being damaged, be prepared for another form of ID to verify upon request.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by scott523
I'd say the officer couldn't think of a better way to say he wasn't satisfied. Such as the photo or condition. Is a passport a valid form of ID on domestic flights? Definitely. Is it as fast/easy as checking a drivers license? No, but not impossible. Since passports are more susceptible to being damaged, be prepared for another form of ID to verify upon request.
Like what? I don't take my DL when I travel overseas because I don't drive overseas. I don't carry anything overseas unless I intend to use it (gas credit card also stays at home). I used to carry a xerox copy of my passport, but now I store it in an online vault in case of emergency.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Like what? I don't take my DL when I travel overseas because I don't drive overseas. I don't carry anything overseas unless I intend to use it (gas credit card also stays at home). I used to carry a xerox copy of my passport, but now I store it in an online vault in case of emergency.
Additional/secondary forms of ID are mentioned in the TSA Contact Center FAQ under Identification (ID).
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Additional/secondary forms of ID are mentioned in the TSA Contact Center FAQ under Identification (ID).
My point exactly. I do not travel with a birth certificate or social security card - that is an invitation to identity theft. I have no marriage certificate. I have never had a credit card with my gender, address, date of birth or photo on it - that would also be an invitation to identity theft.

I do not know anyone who does not have a passport (many Americans don't) who carries a birth certificate, social security card or marriage certificate when they fly. I'm sure there are credit cards out there with photo, but I don't know how common they are. An unscientific poll of my co-workers and family - not one has a credit card with a photo, DOB, gender or address.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chollie
My point exactly. I do not travel with a birth certificate or social security card - that is an invitation to identity theft. I have no marriage certificate. I have never had a credit card with my gender, address, date of birth or photo on it - that would also be an invitation to identity theft.

I do not know anyone who does not have a passport (many Americans don't) who carries a birth certificate, social security card or marriage certificate when they fly. I'm sure there are credit cards out there with photo, but I don't know how common they are. An unscientific poll of my co-workers and family - not one has a credit card with a photo, DOB, gender or address.
I recall hearing that it is substantially less than 5% of US credit cards which include a photo of the person to whom the card was issued and that the peak ratio for photos on US credit cards was in the 1990s. Additional photo ID is not common for most US persons, which is why demands for such often end up being part of a way for government employees and others to harasss people.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:22 am

Programs: None anymore
You know that Passports are slower to check then 52 other types of Drivers Licenses? Where did you get that information? Now if you are basing this on personal observation, and that includes watching the TDC thumb thru someones PP BOOK... Yeah not that anything else in that book is relative to their jobs of checking Photo+Name=Boarding pass info

I find that counter intuitive as the PP Book has a larger picture, larger font with my name on it making it easier and faster on the TDC to obtain that information.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Flahusky
You know that Passports are slower to check then 52 other types of Drivers Licenses? Where did you get that information? Now if you are basing this on personal observation, and that includes watching the TDC thumb thru someones PP BOOK... Yeah not that anything else in that book is relative to their jobs of checking Photo+Name=Boarding pass info

I find that counter intuitive as the PP Book has a larger picture, larger font with my name on it making it easier and faster on the TDC to obtain that information.
.... and ordinary US passports display info in far more standardized ways than driving licenses issued by 50+ jurisdictions in the US, many of which have three or more versions each.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Q. If I lose my ID during travel, what secondary forms of ID will be accepted?
A. Passengers who do not have a valid photo ID, such as State-issued driver’s license, should bring any ID or documents they have available to assist in verification of identity. Passengers need at least two alternate forms of identification, such as a social security card, birth certificate, marriage license, or credit card. The documents must bear the name of the passenger. Also, one of these documents must bear identification information containing one of the following: date of birth, gender, address, or photo. If TSA can confirm the passenger’s identity, they may enter the secured area, but they could be subject to additional screening. For more information, please review the ID Requirements for Airport Checkpoints.
The entire discussion from the FAQ about secondary ID's is above. The passport is a valid photo ID. Therefore, the remainder of the paragraph does not apply to the situation we are discussing.

For what it is worth, I carry exactly four valid photo ID's when I travel. I present the NEXUS at the TDC and the remainder are locked away. You will take my very valid NEXUS or our conversation will quickly become a three-way conversation in which the new member is your supervisor. I do not tolerate these power games when I perfectly adhere with the TSA requirements and am told I am out of compliance.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Feb 16, 2012 at 5:11 am Reason: Removed a comment inappropriate for the "Practical" side.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by cbn42
He said they are only for international flights.
BS. Passport is all I ever use, never had it refused but if it was I'd ruin the idiot's day.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Affection
Your TSO was simply too dumb or wanted to give you a hard time.
Most likely the former.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.