Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Passports are now not valid for TSA security for domestic flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passports are now not valid for TSA security for domestic flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The stupidity and incompetence at TSA never ceases to amaze, and always good for a laugh.

A passport is actually a better form of ID than a state DL, the former requires more vetting and is harder to forge.

If this happened to me I'd immediately request a supervisor and tell them to look at the official rules posted on the website.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:06 am

I have a Korean issued Costco card, that should really let them have some fun
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
The stupidity and incompetence at TSA never ceases to amaze, and always good for a laugh.

A passport is actually a better form of ID than a state DL, the former requires more vetting and is harder to forge.

If this happened to me I'd immediately request a supervisor and tell them to look at the official rules posted on the website.
In the past when I have asked TSA employees to check their employers websites with regards to rules/regs, I have been told that those rules (published on their employers website) are there as a suggestion/example and that each airport has their own authority to modify those rules/regs as needed to keep us safe.

Dan
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by dan1431
In the past when I have asked TSA employees to check their employers websites with regards to rules/regs, I have been told that those rules (published on their employers website) are there as a suggestion/example and that each airport has their own authority to modify those rules/regs as needed to keep us safe.

Dan
This is true. One TSO who used to post here said that the FSD's can modify any of the regulations, as long as they are modified to make them stricter, not easier.

It's too bad that TSA isn't open and honest enough to make that clear on their website. They just don't seem to understand that if their employees operated to a standard and pax knew what to expect, pax would be better prepared and happier and TSOs would find themselves working in a less stressful environment. Win-win.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by dan1431

Dan
I guess you could request that airport's list of acceptable ID but, well, we know how that will go over.

Mike
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:17 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew68
Do the tsa people have the LEGAL authority to inspect your Passport pages ? As it is a federal document and I was under the impression that Immigration and CBP are the ONLY ones with the authority to inspect you passport...
I don't think there is any law stopping them. If you hand someone your passport, they can look through it. If you use your passport at a bar to buy a drink, the bartender can look through it as well.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cbn42
I don't think there is any law stopping them. If you hand someone your passport, they can look through it. If you use your passport at a bar to buy a drink, the bartender can look through it as well.
Quite true. However, the bartender will not use anything they see to prevent your buying a drink. The TSO may make your screening more difficult based on what they find.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:00 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
My passport is the only ID that matches the name on my airline ticket. So if they want other ID they need to accept that it won't match.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Quite true. However, the bartender will not use anything they see to prevent your buying a drink. The TSO may make your screening more difficult based on what they find.
This is PARTLY why I applied for and received a second passport, I use my passport with the non-exotic stamps for TSA and most of my travels and my other passport when I visit more exotic destinations that TSA might have issues with.

Dan
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM National EE
interesting twist to the OP's question. I was traveling from MFE on a domestic flight and the border control officer told me my TWIC card wouldn't work because it didn't show citizenship!

Yes, flying domestic they wanted proof of citizenship!!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
this is amusing, i rarely even drive with my own dl most the time.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by hotdogs
interesting twist to the OP's question. I was traveling from MFE on a domestic flight and the border control officer told me my TWIC card wouldn't work because it didn't show citizenship!

Yes, flying domestic they wanted proof of citizenship!!
Uh... not sure what you mean by "border control officer".
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:07 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by MavSeven
Uh... not sure what you mean by "border control officer".
Both the US Border Patrol and the CBP put officers/agents near the ID check booth at US airports near the north and south US borders.

FOr example, the CBP had an agent standing right next to the ID checker at ELP a few weeks and last January on my transit. there are stories of many others. I have also seen them at BUF. They then tend pull over people who present foreign passports and the like for additional "questions".

You can also be stopped at the US internal checkpoints on all main roads coming north of the US-Mexican border for a similar situation, though the road checks are nearly always manned.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
As my current sole form of govt-issued photo ID is a passport, I would insist on seeing a supervisor. I know the US is a driving culture, but I didn't think we had gone this far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.