FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Travelling with leg brace (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1313760-travelling-leg-brace.html)

yknot Feb 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Travelling with leg brace

I haven't flown in over a year. Since that time I have been fitted with a leg brace that attaches to my leg over a full length leg sock with five Velcro straps. It fits underneath my pants and I wondered what to expect when I opt out of the scanner a SeaTac on an upcoming flight to Hawaii.

Will I have to remove the device? (My pants will have to come off for that)
Will I have to submit to a private room? ( I don't think I'm going to go for that)

:confused:

Often1 Feb 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by yknot (Post 18007934)
I haven't flown in over a year. Since that time I have been fitted with a leg brace that attaches to my leg over a full length leg sock with five Velcro straps. It fits underneath my pants and I wondered what to expect when I opt out of the scanner a SeaTac on an upcoming flight to Hawaii.

Will I have to submit to a private room? ( I don't think I'm going to go for that)

:confused:

All unlikely. If the brace is not metallic and you go through a WTMD, you probably won't even alarm it. If you go through a scanner, tell the TSO what it is first and you will likely only receive a limited pat down of the area.

yknot Feb 13, 2012 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 18007992)
All unlikely. If the brace is not metallic and you go through a WTMD, you probably won't even alarm it. If you go through a scanner, tell the TSO what it is first and you will likely only receive a limited pat down of the area.

I refuse to go through the scanners. The brace has metal parts, so it will set of a WTMD. I'll notify the screening clerk before I enter the WTMD or before I opt out.

exbayern Feb 13, 2012 1:44 pm

Technically, the TSA website indicates that splints and braces do not need to be removed.

Security Officers will not ask nor require you to remove your prosthetic device, cast, or support brace.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...al_1370.shtm#3

However, reality is something different. I speak from personal experience, as do other posters here. There is no guarantee, and I have had a few unpleasant to very unpleasant experiences.

Hopefully you will have a neutral one, as I have also had a few of those. Best of luck.

In regards to a private screening, you may be stuck between two issues:

You have the option of requesting a private screening at any time during the screening of your prosthetic device, cast or support brace.

You have the right to refuse the offer of a private screening; however, you will need to allow the screening to be conducted publicly if you wish to proceed beyond the security checkpoint.
I read that as you will need to be screened publically if you require a secondary and refuse a private room; however you state that you cannot remove your brace without removing your trousers, and that may cause a different issue at the checkpoint.

Can you wear a skirt (if you are female) or a kilt (if you are male)? I know that increases the overall likelihood of a pat down as SOP is apparently that ALL skirts are screened (which doesn't always happen), but at least you will be able to remove the brace if required in public, without exposing yourself and running the risk of that becoming an issue.

If you are flying from SEA, I have had a positive experience there with a young female screener who may be former military who was at the checkpoint a few times in late evening. However, I have (and others report) had some very bad experiences there as well.

yknot Feb 13, 2012 2:00 pm

It's similar to this:

http://www.kneeshop.com/proddetail.a...TAX02X0X&cat=3

exbayern Feb 13, 2012 2:06 pm

Well, at least it looks like a brace. :D Seriously, however, I have encountered screeners who have no idea what the various items are, and insist that they must be removed. Some of mine may look more decorative, but they are indeed medically required, and fall into that category.

Some screeners obviously realise this without being told, but others seem to fail to understand they are medical devices, and others seem to think that they should be removed.

Again, there is the 'factual' information on the TSA website, and the actual experiences of passengers, which sometimes differ. There really is no guarantee, no matter what the website, or other posters, or TSOs who post here tell you.

The only thing which matters is your own experience at the checkpoint, and for that there are no guarantees. :(

I cannot determine your gender from your last page of recent posts, but again I recommend a skirt/kilt, at least at the checkpoint.

Often1 Feb 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by yknot (Post 18008001)
I refuse to go through the scanners. The brace has metal parts, so it will set of a WTMD. I'll notify the screening clerk before I enter the WTMD or before I opt out.

You can opt out with or without a brace. Your post made it appear as though you had a question about the brace. You don't even need to mention the brace to the initial Officer.

mules Feb 14, 2012 6:37 am

How about getting a pair of those travel pants that convert between full length pants and shorts? They have a zipper that detaches the lower leg of the pants.

Here are some men's styles
http://www.rei.com/category/4501397

and the women's
http://www.rei.com/search?cat=450035...vertible+Pants

Caradoc Feb 14, 2012 8:04 am

Originally Posted by yknot (Post 18007934)

Nobody knows what lies your Airport Security Screener will come up with, so it could go either way.

I just hope you don't end up with someone like this "screening" you.

Global_Hi_Flyer Feb 14, 2012 9:09 am

I was forced by the screener at LAX to physically show him a wound area under my pants leg. This after a grope & ETD test. I can't imagine going through security with a brace. Some of the screeners have no clue - you'd get better treatment from a gorilla.

slidergirl Feb 14, 2012 9:18 am

There is a thread somewhere here about removing walking boots. One of the posting supposed TSOs mentioned that you won't be required to remove the appliance for inspection, but if you do not VOLUNTARILY remove it if asked, you will not be allowed through the checkpoint. It is nothing more than semantics at play. So, there is no apparent correct answer for this. All you can really hope for is that you aren't asked if you could remove the brace. Good luck.

yknot Feb 14, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks all - I expected as much. With no certainty about what may happen, I think I'll carry it and put it in the carry on x-ray and bring the cane. After I'm in the secure area I can go to a bathroom and put it on.

It's a pity and a shame that this is what we go through to travel by air.
:(

dranz Feb 14, 2012 3:39 pm

> TSO ... leg brace

'bout the same understanding as giving a pocket watch to a dog.

oldpenny16 Feb 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Been there and have done that. (leg 'appliance') I have no issues with being scanner (it is 'no option' in many parts of the world).

The TSA person actually asked me if I had any places that were painful. Yes, I did and they were not touched.

My leg looked really awful and I was more concerned about not being able eto board my flight if the thing was noticed by airline employees.

If you refuse the scan, your results could vary a great deal.