Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

how many times are you allowed to cross the US/Canada border by car each day?

Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

I recently visited Detroit but stayed at a Windsor hotel. It was the only hotel with reward stay availability for my entire stay.

The drive from Windsor to Detroit was pretty short, sort of like from New Jersey to New York City. The only slow part is getting past the US and Canadian border agent. I ended up crossing over only once a day, except for one day when I crossed back and forth 4 times. That apparently me got me noticed because they made me go to secondary. Since I had nothing to hide, I wasn't worried. I just explained the reason for so many crossings that day and I was allowed to go on my way. However, something the CBP agent said stuck in my mind. Exact quote: "you are only allowed to cross the border twice every 24 hours"

Is there really a law or regulation that says that?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
No way is that correct. Friends have a house in Thousand Islands, on the Canadian side, and they often do shopping, go to dinner, etc., on the US side. People cross back and forth many, many times during one day.

There are also people in Vermont who do shopping in Canada, and I'd bet there are some settlements along the Texas/ Mexico border where people cross multiple times.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by MissyH
I ended up crossing over only once a day, except for one day when I crossed back and forth 4 times.

"you are only allowed to cross the border twice every 24 hours"

Is there really a law or regulation that says that?
If that is the regulation, then how did you cross 4 times?

My guess is that he meant to say that you are only allowed to cross the border twice every 24 hours without a secondary screening.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC SE
He made it up.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly-yul
He made it up.
a government employee making up stuff? how is that even possible?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:03 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I've crossed 6 times in a day without consequence...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
I've crossed the San Diego/Tijuana border by foot four times in one day (once there, once back, then there again when I realized I'd left my cell phone at a TJ restaurant, then back) without incident.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by mkt
I've crossed 6 times in a day without consequence...
Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
I've crossed the San Diego/Tijuana border by foot four times in one day (once there, once back, then there again when I realized I'd left my cell phone at a TJ restaurant, then back) without incident.
Devil's Advocacy: you are both US citizens or LPRs right? So you have an absolute right to cross as often as you want. I gather OP is not a citizen or LPR of the US.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Yes, I am a US citizen. I could see things being different if one is here on a visa.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mre5765
Devil's Advocacy: you are both US citizens or LPRs right? So you have an absolute right to cross as often as you want. I gather OP is not a citizen or LPR of the US.
OP here.... I'm a US citizen with a US passport(book & card).
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:17 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by mre5765
US citizen, but I verbally declare Puerto Rican citizenship if asked by CBP every time I re enter US soil as a moral and political point.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:01 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by mkt
US citizen, but I verbally declare Puerto Rican citizenship if asked by CBP every time I re enter US soil as a moral and political point.
Good for you, I do the same thing but say Republic of Texas.

This is a good question for Firebug? Is there a reg on that and if so, where is it?
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Good for you, I do the same thing but say Republic of Texas.

This is a good question for Firebug? Is there a reg on that and if so, where is it?
Thanks in advance.
Can I declare that I'm a citizen of the USA and a subject of the Kingdom of Hawai'i? (just like Texas... another country annexed by the United States)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:52 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Can I declare that I'm a citizen of the USA and a subject of the Kingdom of Hawai'i? (just like Texas... another country annexed by the United States)
I've seen people do it twice. I saw quite the heated exchange at ATL once with a Hawai'ian citizen over the issue.

I have talked to CBP agents in Texas who see it all the time and don't bat an eyelash over it. Notoriously horrid CBP locations like MIA, or DET might be different.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
OP here.... I'm a US citizen with a US passport(book & card).
Lol. Then you should have told the American CBP officer to pound sand. You've an absolute right to enter your country.

No doubt FB will explain why I am wrong. Lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.