Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Are USA passports stamped upon entrance to USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are USA passports stamped upon entrance to USA?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 2:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Section 107
Stamps are important - you might find yourself needing those stamps for later legal/immigration reasons.

To wit:

1. to obtain a Consular Report of a Birth Abroad for my son (and thus document his US status as a natural born citizen) I had to prove I was not only a citizen but that I had also physical presence in the United States for at least five years. This included providing a detailed listing of all exits/entries to the US. Without the stamps in my passports (save all those canceled ones!) there is no way I would have been able to accurately recall the exit/entry dates of the many trips I was lucky enough to go on as a small child.

2. As part of the K1 Fiancee visa process both I and my now-wife had to also document physical presence in the US. Again, without the stamps in the passports neither of us would have been able to accurately recall all our dates of exit/entry.

3. If my son who was born abroad has children who are also born abroad those children (my grandkids) will not necessarily be eligible to claim natural born citizenship if my son cannot show he has at least 5 years of physical presence in the United States. Stamps of his passports will be very important in documenting his physical presence.

4. Stamps in passports can be very useful confirmation/documentation during national security investigations and for obtaining security clearances.

Get those stamps because 1) one can never know when such information is needed, and 2) while the government keeps this information electronically one cannot necessarily rely on the government to give you information it has about you when you need to give that same information to the government to prove/disprove or confirm something about you.

[sometimes they like to see how resourceful/clever you can be or trustworthy you are by not giving you the information - which can be quite amusing or aggravating, depending].
Indeed. But to continue:

School and work records in the U.S. are generally sufficient to show US physical presence; and showing stamped passports isn't a general requirement to satisfy the physical presence condition to get a CRBA. And while the request for travel information is there, CRBAs are validly issued even when such supplied travel history is fragmentary when it can be documented that the U.S. physical presence requirement of the parent of the child has been met and that the child is the child of that U.S. parent.

Most of the CBRAs issued nowadays do not involve submitting long expired passports with stamps in them.

For my security clearances, my expired passports and their stamps were as good as useless; but YMMV on that.

I've seen passport stamps in U.S. passports for natural-born US citizens born abroad not be accepted as proof of physical presence beyond the date of the stamp itself. Best to have more extensive records to procure/provide than just stamps, if such a child passing on US citizenship is part of your planning.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed. But to continue:

School and work records in the U.S. are generally sufficient to show US physical presence; and showing stamped passports isn't a general requirement to satisfy the physical presence condition to get a CRBA. And while the request for travel information is there, CRBAs are validly issued even when such supplied travel history is fragmentary when it can be documented that the U.S. physical presence requirement of the parent of the child has been met and that the child is the child of that U.S. parent.

Most of the CBRAs issued nowadays do not involve submitting long expired passports with stamps in them.

For my security clearances, my expired passports and their stamps were as good as useless; but YMMV on that.

I've seen passport stamps in U.S. passports for natural-born US citizens born abroad not be accepted as proof of physical presence beyond the date of the stamp itself. Best to have more extensive records to procure/provide than just stamps, if such a child passing on US citizenship is part of your planning.
I wasn't saying the expired passports and the stamps thereon were required - merely that they were VERY useful in preparing and supporting the applications.

On the investigatory front - having the stamps so as to be able to accurately and confidently state when one was or wasn't in a specific country was also very helpful.

And, the points you make are well taken and I most assuredly agree - passport and entry/exit stamps by themselves will not be of much use in such proceedings.

Old May 28, 2015, 3:19 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Section 107
I wasn't saying the expired passports and the stamps thereon were required - merely that they were VERY useful in preparing and supporting the applications.

On the investigatory front - having the stamps so as to be able to accurately and confidently state when one was or wasn't in a specific country was also very helpful.

And, the points you make are well taken and I most assuredly agree - passport and entry/exit stamps by themselves will not be of much use in such proceedings.

As an aside, one can also FOIA request their passport records which, while not 100% because it is the government, has a decent record of entries including for GE users. In fact, pulling it for clearance investigations is on the choices given and I have heard anecdotally that fast tracks responses.

Interestingly for me yesterday, or today/tomorrow depending on where you are on the dateline LOL leaving Guam for Honolulu not only did they stamp every US citizen's boarding pass as they normally do, they stamped in the passport also. They are bored and stamp happy in Guam it seems...
Old May 28, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Section 107, you can make an online FOIA request for your entry/exit records and they will send them to you if you want.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I always ask when reentering the US (I'm trying to get every air port of entry samp) and I've never been refused. This includes my last two trips back (ATL and SEA) where I had to use the automated kiosk for entry. Now that I have GE though my stamp getting days may be over.
I wonder if you could still politely ask a CBP officer to get a stamp after using the GE kiosk. I know this may sound corny but I have my first international trip coming up this fall and kinda want to get a stamp when I come back (via ORD if that matters).
Old May 28, 2015, 6:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
I wonder if you could still politely ask a CBP officer to get a stamp after using the GE kiosk. I know this may sound corny but I have my first international trip coming up this fall and kinda want to get a stamp when I come back (via ORD if that matters).
I'll try on my way back from Berlin in July and I'll let you know if it's successful ^
Old May 29, 2015, 12:32 am
Suspended

Yes, and they do it.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:14 pm

Not sure how I missed your reply but thank you. One more question if I may. Is there somewhere specific I should should go and ask or should I just ask a nearby CBP officer and see what they say?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 12:09 am
Suspended

Not sure how I missed your reply but thank you. One more question if I may. Is there somewhere specific I should should go and ask or should I just ask a nearby CBP officer and see what they say?
It depends on the airport. I've asked the CBP officer who looks at the kiosk-printed receipt prior to proceeding to the baggage claim area. If they don't have a stamp, they may direct you to another who does. Some may be curious why you want a stamp anymore.

At ORD, it's been easy to get the stamp.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:37 pm

Ah that makes sense. If they ask why I'll gladly tell them why and hope they (or someone) can stamp it for me. Thanks again for the info!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: WN RR, B6 TrueBlue, AA, NK
Ah that makes sense. If they ask why I'll gladly tell them why and hope they (or someone) can stamp it for me. Thanks again for the info!
I've not used ORD CBP yet. At PHL I get a stamp everytime (Which did come in handy once due to missing college related assignments due to a flight cancellation and having proof that I was delayed.) But I've reentered through YUL a few times and never been stamped. I usually enter Canada on Amtrak and the Lacolle CBSA always stamps me.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Zarf4
Have 4 US return stamps in my 2000-2009 passport (27 international entries), none in 2010-2011 (8 international entries). Never requested & 1 of the 'return' stamps is from US immigration in Dublin Ireland.

Understand you can always request one and I will start doing that shortly to help prove I'm out of the country for at least 330 days out of the year for tax reasons.
Yes, I keep forgetting abort this. Recent experiences have reminded me what a bunch unethical scum the IRS is (ha! my auto-correct tried to change this to "ISIS"; coincidence?), and I've been careless about creating a paper trail that supports my tax return -- everyone should insist on a stamp. At the Detroit-Windsor tunnel, entering from Canada, I (for complicated reasons) wanted to be sure I could prove I hadn't overstayed in Canada, so I insisted on a U.S. Entry stamp (as there was no opportunity to get a Canada exit stamp). The clown there first insisted that they were "forbidden" to stamp a U.S. Passport; I had to patiently escalate the issue up the chain of command before they finally gave one, and acted as if they were doing me a huge favour.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:41 pm

Indeed. But to continue:

Even if the stamps have limited use for proving "physical presence," they are helpful in completing your form 2555 accurately. And if I had the IRS challenge the stamps as supporting evidence in an audit, you can bet my senator would get photocopies of the pages with communications from the IRS saying they were refusing to accept another federal agency's documentation.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
It depends on the airport. I've asked the CBP officer who looks at the kiosk-printed receipt prior to proceeding to the baggage claim area. If they don't have a stamp, they may direct you to another who does. Some may be curious why you want a stamp anymore.

At ORD, it's been easy to get the stamp.
Just came back from three weeks in Europe. We reentered through PHL. First of all let me say thank God for GE. Four International flights from Athens, Frankfurt, London, and Paris landed pretty close to each other and Immigration and Customs was slammed. The GE lane was virtually empty and we sailed right through. Mrs. K initially had trouble with the kiosk she went to but tried the one I used and it immediately read her passport. I asked the CBP agent at the end of the GE lane about getting my passport stamped and he said he didn't have one and I'd have to go through the regular lanes if I wanted a stamp. A quick glance to my left and the hundreds of people standing in line quickly put that idea to rest.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:56 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

BOS was the only airport where my request for a passport stamp was rejected (one time of two). Other airports usually stamp it before I ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.