Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport Renewal at a Consulate or Embassy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
OP UPDATE:

I submitted my passport with my application but after waiting about 45 minutes I got in back with 4 holes punched clear through it and was told that my new passport would arrive in around 2 weeks. So I still have my passport, but I can't really use it for traveling.
This is similar to the experience I had earlier this year here in Dar es Salaam, with the important difference that they only canceled my passport when I went to pick up the new one. As another poster reported upthread, I was never left without a valid, usable passport.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael
This is similar to the experience I had earlier this year here in Dar es Salaam, with the important difference that they only canceled my passport when I went to pick up the new one. As another poster reported upthread, I was never left without a valid, usable passport.
I'm curious if the difference is due to (1) no one in Canada really asks to see your passport, except at the border crossings and upon arrival from an international flight; and (2) I told the consulate (in person and on the passport form) that I did not have any upcoming travel plans.

I don't know if issue (1) is the same in Dar es Salaam. As to issue (2), if I did have upcoming travel plans (or if I would have simply said that I did, even if I really did not, although I don't think that lying to a State Department official is a particularly wise idea), I wonder if the consulate would have waited to invalidate the passport until the new one arrived.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Do you have to return to the consulate to pick up your new passport? Or will it be sent to you by mail? If the latter, then I imagine they would want to ensure that your old passport was canceled.

Since I had to return to pick it up in person, they could do it at that moment.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael
Do you have to return to the consulate to pick up your new passport? Or will it be sent to you by mail? If the latter, then I imagine they would want to ensure that your old passport was canceled.
The new one is to be sent to me by mail, so you are probably correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.