BOS: a mixed bag (and how to address issue?)

Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

BOS: a mixed bag (and how to address issue?)

At BOS terminal A right now. Had both a decent and really annoying experience at security. Compared to some stories, it's not that bad, but today really set me off.

Started out fine enough in the elite line (far right end). The TDC was friendly and efficient; got through that ok. Went to the left bay, right line. As I lined up a TSA @]&#$!!! went out away from the machine and started yelling at the pax in the regular lines (non-elite) to come up to the elite lines. The moving the people was fine with me, the way she did it wasn't. She stood out by where I was and was yelling at the others 50-ish feet away, saying things like "People! Over here! Come on!" with a tone of voice as though she were speaking to clueless people, getting exasperated when they didn't come (not surprising, since she wasn't being loud enough to be heard down at that end). Finally exclaimed "Jesus!" and walked down closer.

After she came back, I asked for her name and read it off her card. I said it to confirm with her, and she then told me her first name. I said it again to confirm, and then got back in line. She then walked to another passenger in line and commented about how I had asked her name, repeated it, and said it was "creepy". I then said I wanted to be sure when I got the name right when I sent the comment form into the TSA. She then started walking around to a couple different people (both pax and coworkers) and talked about how I was submitting a comment form with the attitude of "who, me? I'm ok doing whatever I want here at the checkpoint". Fortunately, I didn't have to interact with her again.

The (somewhat) good part was after I opted out of the BSX machine (my bad, chose the wrong line), was the agents who performed the private screening were quick and efficient about it. Probably the fastest patdown I'd ever received. Not that I consider having to opt out and then get patted down good, as I've always opted out, but at least the agents were good about it.

I've never been this upset with TSA before. I've been really fortunate to have some friendly and non-invasive/non-powerhungry agents at my home airports, and I can usually survive unnoticed in the major airports when I pass through them. But the first agent's cattleherder mentality and rudeness really set me off, and I want to do something about it. What's the recommended way(s) to make people aware of #$%$!@! TSA agents who don't know how to be polite and present a proper customer-service image?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
What's the recommended way(s) to make people aware of #$%$!@! TSA agents who don't know how to be polite and present a proper customer-service image?
Why would you expect TSA stooges to have proper customer-service images?

If they were capable of it, they'd be working somewhere else.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:33 pm

To my knowledge BOS has yet to receive the CDR Professionalism training course , where they learn to treat the passengers with Courtesy, Dignity and Respect.
Just be patient as it will be a steep learning curve. These are foreign concepts that are not in the average TSA employee's vocabulary or mind set...

Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:38 pm

TSA would recommend using the "Talk to TSA" online feedback from.

I've not used it, so I can't testify as to its effectiveness.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
Originally Posted by jkhuggins

Contact TSA with a complaint? I assume you're joking. TSA will either ignore it or send an incoherent response automatically generated by a computer.

A better bet would be complain to MassPort. http://www.massport.com/massport/Pages/Feedback.aspx

They'll probably refer this to TSA but at least it will register on someones metrics.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fisher1949
Contact TSA with a complaint? I assume you're joking.
I didn't say I would recommend it. I said TSA would recommend it.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for letting me vent. Did submit comments both to Massport and TSA. Don't expect much to come from it.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I wrote to the FSD at Boston once and received a personalized reply (i.e., she had clearly read my email.).

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeef
I wrote to the FSD at Boston once and received a personalized reply (i.e., she had clearly read my email.).

Mike
Directly to her, or through the TSA comment form?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Directly to her, or through the TSA comment form?
I have received multiple personal replies as a result of submitting complaints via the TSA online comment form.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
Don't be afraid to write to your congressman on this matter.

The one source the TSA listens to is Senators. They control funding?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:59 pm

Talk to TSA won't get you much. It is set up like the rest of security theatre with respect to TSA so that you think you are getting something when you are absolutely not. The only way to get through to TSA - and it is not likely to work but you at least have a chance is to write to them on paper at:

Transportation Security Administration
601 South 12th Street TSA-1
Arlington, VA 20598

The address on their web-page is wrong, and I have repeatedly reported that. It is just part of their "distraction techniques."

You can send information through the TSA ombudsman, but again, this is part of their distraction technique. Nothing will come of it. They pay people just a little over minimum wage to read e-mails they do nothing.

The only thing that may have a chance of working is to write to your Congressional representative, and your State's Senators. In theory, they should open a Congressional Inquiry, but what needs to happen is a full fledged Congressional Investigation. Basic citizens are not usually capable of such an action, but when acting together, it may get done if a few hundred thousands requests are sent to members of Congress. Senator Rand Paul from Kentucky is your friend as is Representative Sharon Cissa of Alaska. They really can't do much unless you are part of their districts, but your complaints will go into their data bases.

Good luck
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
Who is she? I am trying to put together a data base of TSA's FSDs Send it to me by private message. Thanks,
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:55 am

At BOS terminal A right now. Had both a decent and really annoying experience at security. Compared to some stories, it's not that bad, but today really set me off.

Started out fine enough in the elite line (far right end). The TDC was friendly and efficient; got through that ok. Went to the left bay, right line. As I lined up a TSA @]&#$!!! went out away from the machine and started yelling at the pax in the regular lines (non-elite) to come up to the elite lines. The moving the people was fine with me, the way she did it wasn't. She stood out by where I was and was yelling at the others 50-ish feet away, saying things like "People! Over here! Come on!" with a tone of voice as though she were speaking to clueless people, getting exasperated when they didn't come (not surprising, since she wasn't being loud enough to be heard down at that end). Finally exclaimed "Jesus!" and walked down closer.

After she came back, I asked for her name and read it off her card. I said it to confirm with her, and she then told me her first name. I said it again to confirm, and then got back in line. She then walked to another passenger in line and commented about how I had asked her name, repeated it, and said it was "creepy". I then said I wanted to be sure when I got the name right when I sent the comment form into the TSA. She then started walking around to a couple different people (both pax and coworkers) and talked about how I was submitting a comment form with the attitude of "who, me? I'm ok doing whatever I want here at the checkpoint". Fortunately, I didn't have to interact with her again......
But the first agent's cattleherder mentality and rudeness really set me off, and I want to do something about it. What's the recommended way(s) to make people aware of #$%$!@! TSA agents who don't know how to be polite and present a proper customer-service image?
Much ado over not much IMO. I understand the feelings. But.....It is what it is. Just adds to the stress of traveling to initiate some big fuss over this (Call your Senator?????). Too much other really stressful stuff, like delayed flights that cause a missed connection or being held on the runway for hours or G-d forbid a crash, to obssess over things like wanting a low-income/low-skill worker (and the fact that this is who TSA has hired, which you already knew, even before booking your flight) to change his/her spots.
(btw Don't ever think of traveling to Brazil if you react this way. The concept of "customer service" doesn't exist in the thinking there.)
Old Oct 25, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Tika1505
Who is she? I am trying to put together a data base of TSA's FSDs Send it to me by private message. Thanks,
Sorry, just saw this. I don't remember her name, but I think she's gone.

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.