Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet Another Screening Fail (ALB/LAS Edition)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Yet Another Screening Fail (ALB/LAS Edition)

On today's edition of Yet Another Screening Fail, the fine folks at ALB & LAS miss a (just under) 5" pair of scissors in the carry-on of a Utica, NY media personality!

http://uticadailynews.com/daily_voic...orts_safe.html
http://www.timesunion.com/business/a...ag-2136529.php
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Sure, looks dangerous...maybe to a stack of coupons in the Sunday paper.

To anyone else, these scissors are not going to be a threat.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:06 am

And the usual reply of, "we have multiple layers, and sharp objects really aren't a threat anymore anyway." "But we'll still confiscate them if we find them, just like we'll still hassle you to say your name, even though we've also said that it doesn't matter who you are, as long as you pass through the checkpoint."

Farbstein said that the TSA employs "multiple layers of security to protect the traveling public" and suggested that scissors, while prohibited, don't pose as much of a threat, especially after cockpit doors were redesigned in the wake of Sept. 11.

"We continue to take the discovery of prohibited items seriously, however, in today's post-Sept. 11 security environment, intelligence tell us our officers' greatest focus needs to be the biggest threat to aviation today -- explosives and explosives components. While scissors remain a prohibited item, it will not cause catastrophic damage on an aircraft," Farbstein said in a written statement.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:16 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sfcomstock
On today's edition of Yet Another Screening Fail, the fine folks at ALB & LAS miss a (just under) 5" pair of scissors in the carry-on of a Utica, NY media personality!

http://uticadailynews.com/daily_voic...orts_safe.html
http://www.timesunion.com/business/a...ag-2136529.php
Welcome to Flyertalk, sfcomstock ^

Now I wonder if the TSA would include their swings & misses in their weekly body count? (tho there is one thing that does "irk" me and that is that the Times Union article has a nice out of date photo as the white shirts changed to blue "just a few years ago" - sorry but I hate lazy journalism)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Yet Another Screening Fail

Or success, depending on how you look at it.

A pair of scissors were carried onto two separate flights and (gasp!) nothing happened. Anyway, I make the blade part under 4 inches measured from the fulcrum, not the handle.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
Welcome to Flyertalk, sfcomstock ^

Now I wonder if the TSA would include their swings & misses in their weekly body count? (tho there is one thing that does "irk" me and that is that the Times Union article has a nice out of date photo as the white shirts changed to blue "just a few years ago" - sorry but I hate lazy journalism)
Thanks for the welcome, goalie; I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster, definitely NOT a fan of the TSA, and it's not hard to figure out why local folks tend to refer to the Albany newspaper as the Times-Useless

Haven't flown since April 2009, so I don't have any up-to-date TSA horror stories to share; however, next time I fly for something non-work related, it'll be with a Fourth Amendment t-shirt and metal wallet-card.

For those of you keeping score, ALB still doesn't have the nudie-scopes, although the word is that they're supposed to be installed sometime this fall.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Or success, depending on how you look at it.

A pair of scissors were carried onto two separate flights and (gasp!) nothing happened. Anyway, I make the blade part under 4 inches measured from the fulcrum, not the handle.
I'm going with success. I like to believe that it was a couple of TSOs who saw the scissors, realized there was no danger and decided just to let them go.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.