Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

First Real TSA Encounter-PHX [with an art piece that's an arrow]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott

Hey all,

Just wanted two share my experience! I am sure you all had your own experience with TSA, but I finally had my first "encounter". Of course, over the years I would get a disappointed scuff here and there when I opt out of the Body scanners, but nothing more then that. Yesterday, I was flying out of PHX, and I bought a beautiful native american piece of art. It was an arrow, but it was a stick, feathers on it, and a little rock arrow head at the end. This was NOT a weapon. I was guaranteed at the store that customers never had any issues to bringing it on the plane. I believed them because on my flight to MYR there was a lady with knitting needles next to me!

When I got into the security line, they checked my boarding pass, saw my arrow, and said that you cannot fly with that. I explained that it makes no sense, this is art, its bubbled wrapped, signed by the author, and they allow knitting needles. They said its the law and they cant do anything about it. They also said that "knitting needles are for knitting not stabbing, like an arrow". Then when I asked to speak to a supervisor they said rules don't change, and you shouldn't question the government, they can do whatever they want. After a few smart ... remarks about "if we never questioned the government we would be an English colony or living in slavery" I said screw it, went to try to check it in, it was too expensive, and gave it away to an airport employee who was very nice at helping me try to check it in. She said if I kept arguing or made more of a ruckus, I could have been on a "watch list" is that true?

The TSA agents did apologize and said they were sorry for the inconvenience and they even agreed the rules don't make sense. Nonetheless, it moronic that you can bring in needles that can be used as a weapon but not a piece of native american art.

Sorry for the rant! Don't make the same mistake I did!

Last edited by TravelDoorsOut; Jul 20, 2014 at 3:00 pm
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The "Watch List" threat is garbage.

I am going to try and predict in what terminal you experienced this TSA encounter. Based on the threats and lack of common sense, I would go with T2.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wilbur
The "Watch List" threat is garbage.

I am going to try and predict in what terminal you experienced this TSA encounter. Based on the threats and lack of common sense, I would go with T2.
haha nope, T4!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
This mess was entirely of your own making.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...hing-equipment

Bows and Arrows

Bows and arrows are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...nd-needlepoint

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage.

Items needed are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside which cannot go through the checkpoint and must go in your checked baggage.
The rules on arrows are clear. If you don't like them, work to get them changed. The people that enforce the rules are not the ones that make them, so no reason to argue with them.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:44 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to the apt travel security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I'm curious about something - what size was this arrow art? Full-size? The size of knitting needles? Or smaller?

What material was it made from. You said it was a stick with feathers and a rock arrow head, but was it permanently mounted on something, or could you look at it objectively and say, "Art or not, that's actually an arrow."?

I want to cut you the benefit of the doubt, but like OTTM posted above, bows and arrows are plainly prohibited in carry-ons, artistry notwithstanding.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
This mess was entirely of your own making.

The rules on arrows are clear. If you don't like them, work to get them changed. The people that enforce the rules are not the ones that make them, so no reason to argue with them.
This is not the first time that art and TSA have collided. Remember the gun-shaped purse decal that was prohibited? The light saber cane that TSA wanted to confiscate? The glass perfume bottle that was sort of grenade-shaped? There is justification for arguing with TSA when TSA decides that something that is not a weapon is a weapon--and any ensuing publicity might make the difference between getting the rules changed or not.

Even if this particular piece of art could function as an arrow, what exactly would the OP do with it on board the plane? Stab someone like he/she might with a (permissible) knitting needle or a pen? MacGuyver a bow out of rubber bands and a rollaboard handle?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

It was about 18 inches, piece of wood, feathers, and a rock arrow head that was wrapped onto the arrow. I asked them if I take off the arrow head, can I bring it in? They said no. The knitting needles were probably 12-16in in length and could be used for stabbing. My arrow on the other hand would have broken if I even tried to press it into my skin. I understand that TSA approves knitting needles but not arrows, but this is not an archer set and its not a weapon, its art, bubble wrapped, signed by the Navajo that made it, and I even brought a receipt.

This is what it looked like, just much smaller and had more Native art, beads on it, and it was hand painted.

Last edited by TravelDoorsOut; Jul 21, 2014 at 5:38 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
IMO the OP had an arrow that happened to be an art piece not an art piece that's an arrow.

I have knives and firearms that are genuine works of art. No way I think that qualifies them to be in my carry on.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by djmagnum
It was about 18 inches, piece of wood, feathers, and a rock arrow head that was wrapped onto the arrow. I asked them if I take off the arrow head, can I bring it in? They said no. The knitting needles were probably 12-16in in length and could be used for stabbing. My arrow on the other hand would have broken if I even tried to press it into my skin. I understand that TSA approves knitting needles but not arrows, but this is not an archer set and its not a weapon, its art, bubble wrapped, signed by the Navajo that made it, and I even brought a receipt.

This is what it looked like, just much smaller and had more Native art, beads on it, and it was hand painted.

Sorry DJ, but I have to side with TSA on this one - that's an arrow.

Now, I am in no way defending the prohibition against arrows. IMHO it's just one of many pieces of sheer idiocy on TSA's part. All I'm saying is, arrows are (stupidly) prohibited, and that's an arrow, so it's prohibited.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriot Titanium, AA Platinum, National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I have knives and firearms that are genuine works of art. No way I think that qualifies them to be in my carry on.
Like a Tommy gun.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's an arrow. They probably knew it wouldn't fly but wanted to make the sale.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
It's an arrow. They probably knew it wouldn't fly but wanted to make the sale.
Yes, you're absolutely right. He can't bring arrows at security. Don't do it. he had put the arrows into checked bags. They won't let you bring a arrows past at checkpoint. Next time he had put the arrows into checked bag instead.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, United Silver
OP, could you just remove the arrow head and reattach it at your destination? At this point it becomes nothing more than a stick or rod.

It is also an interesting exercise to construct an arrow using permitted items inside the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.