Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US's Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US's Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by BamaDude
AA- 22" x 14" x 9"
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...false&from=Nav
CO- 14" x 9" x 22"
http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...D28C49E6270D96
DL- 22" x 14" x 9"
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ryon/index.jsp
UA- 22" x 14" x 9"
http://www.united.com/page/middlepag...ggage_policies
US- 14" x 9" x 22"
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html
WN- 10" x 16" x 24"
http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...-bags-pol.html
Interesting. I didn't know that Southwest allowed slightly larger carry-on bags than the other major airlines. I was ready to argue in favor of a standardized sizer on the entrance of the baggage x-ray machines, but Southwest allowing larger bags sort of shoots my argument in the foot.
B6 - 26" x 18" x 12" for the A320, 24 x 16 x 10 for the E190
http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN...e=obj%28633%29

B6 is the most generous of all.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Eliminate (some) check bag fees. Improve issues related to the delivery of checked bags. Use sizers more consistently at the gate itself, in order to train passengers as to what size bags are really allowed.
I have found not all sizers are created equal - even sizers among a single carrier.

For example, I have a "legal size" roll-a-board and you have to fight with it to get it in the sizers with the metal bars. The other sizers that look more like a box, carry-on goes in no problems - perfect fit.

Typically goes into the overhead, wheels first, on mainline aircraft without problem. The only aircraft that gets tricky are DL 767-300's with the old overhead bins and a few odd 757's (ex-NW 5500 series) where there is a lip that causes problems.

Carriers vary significantly as to what they'll take as carry-on's. Qantas, for example, has a strict weight limit. Qantas will sometimes ask to see the carry-on and to weigh it.

At some airports like MEL, you have an "oversize" / "overweight" bag inspector sitting at the entrance to the Intl terminal.

To close, this is not a duty the TSA should take on; private business needs to handle this one. On final note, there are differences among carriers with respect to carry-on size -- no one rule fits all.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
To close, this is not a duty the TSA should take on; private business needs to handle this one. On final note, there are differences among carriers with respect to carry-on size -- no one rule fits all.
When has the inapplicability of any particular rule ever stopped the TSA before?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer

All good reason for consistency. FAA should invite the carriers to propose a joint policy and then impose one which is the best for most. Needless to say, the RJ gate-check issue is entirely sepatate and apart from mainline. There will always be a need to do gate check on luggage which otherwise fits the sizer (which would then be uniform).
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:58 am

That sounds confusing for the infrequent traveller. I have a feeling most people don't know what plane they are flying and probably wouldn't know what size carry on is permitted. Although the 26x18x12 size is probably larger than most luggage manufacturers list as carry on size.

Back to the TSA, I wonder how many more things they would miss if they had the added responsibility of checking bag sizes. They seem to miss a lot already in their effort to keep bottles of water off of planes.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Often1
All good reason for consistency. FAA should invite the carriers to propose a joint policy and then impose one which is the best for most. Needless to say, the RJ gate-check issue is entirely sepatate and apart from mainline. There will always be a need to do gate check on luggage which otherwise fits the sizer (which would then be uniform).
So you're against competition?

After all, this is one competitive factor that folks might use to select an airline.

Taking your argument to the next step, we ought to reinstate the old CAR-style regulations. You know, government-regulated fares, regulation of number of seats on a route, mandatory service to small communities as a condition of the operating certificate, and the like.

As long as there is no safety issue (bags fit in the overhead) then the Feds have no business getting involved. None. It's a competitive issue for the airlines.

I can't figure out from your posts if you're anti-competition, if you just favor draconian policies of the big airlines & want the lower-cost carriers to fail, or you're simply the kind of guy that gets in the left lane of the beltway and drives 50 MPH because the speed limit is 55.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
To the point of one size does not fit all, we can add all AC overheads are not created equal. Today I was on a CRJ, and the roller-boards had to be sideways. This limits the number that can fit. Today I only saw one person with 3 bags and he made it on. What really amused me was a person trying to get a bag that was too large into the overhead. Her solution was the overheads in the back must be larger. Finally, they had to check the bag, which was the right move.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
All good reason for consistency. FAA should invite the carriers to propose a joint policy and then impose one which is the best for most.
Let us know when the overhead bin size will be identical for each Part 121 aircraft.

Originally Posted by swanscn
Why does anyone pay attention to this man?
Parker? Because who doesn't need a good belly laugh now and then.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:10 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TSO1973
Originally Posted by goalie
Just what we need

So what say our resident TSO's on this? My two hockey pucks say you would not be happy
If this were to happen (and I really doubt this one would come to pass), I'm in the "not a fan" column. Keeping tabs of how many carryons a passenger takes on board is and should remain the airline's responsibility. So long as there's no prohibited items in the bags, if a passenger wants to carry on 10 bags, hey go for it as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks for the feedback ^ (and I had a feeling at least one of you would feel that way )
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So you're against competition?

After all, this is one competitive factor that folks might use to select an airline.

Taking your argument to the next step, we ought to reinstate the old CAR-style regulations. You know, government-regulated fares, regulation of number of seats on a route, mandatory service to small communities as a condition of the operating certificate, and the like.

As long as there is no safety issue (bags fit in the overhead) then the Feds have no business getting involved. None. It's a competitive issue for the airlines.

I can't figure out from your posts if you're anti-competition, if you just favor draconian policies of the big airlines & want the lower-cost carriers to fail, or you're simply the kind of guy that gets in the left lane of the beltway and drives 50 MPH because the speed limit is 55.
I favor simple solutions to big problems. OH abuse is largely the product of borish DYKWIA's who full well know what they are doing. The practice makes boarding unpleasant and slow and delays push. As one who generally travels in F, I would just as soon board last, but have to board first to get the OH space which handles by compliant carry-on.

There are two "barriers" to boarding a commercial aircraft: 1) security checkpoint; and 2) gate. #2 is far preferable place and allows flexibility but carriers can't/won't enforce. That leaves #1 which is not preferable for a broad variety of reasons, but can be accomplished.

It's easy and it will work. If the carriers want to do it themselves, I'm fine with that, but let's see them do it.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:05 pm

I favor simple solutions to big problems. OH abuse is largely the product of borish DYKWIA's who full well know what they are doing. The practice makes boarding unpleasant and slow and delays push.
Fine. But the TSA checkpoint isn't supposed to be the place to fix problems with boorish DYKWIAs. It's suppose to be the place to secure the flight.

A passenger with too many oversized carry-on items may be a PITA, but he's not a security threat.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by 14940674
Doesn't BAA enforce carry-on rules at security at LHR? Since they manage to do that without extreme disruption, the TSA should presumably adopt the same approach. If I am missing something here, please correct me.
It does not. In the past, when it did, it was because it felt that it could not screen all bags to the required standard unless people only brought one. A small number of UK airports still have this rule, LBA I think is one.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by chollie
Don't you think 'specially coded' gate-checked over-sized bags' should also get special handling fees? After all, it's going to require more work for baggage handlers, and a baggage handler who's toting 'speciallly coded' bags to a baggage office is a baggage handler who is not off-loading my bags.
EasyJet and bmibaby do this.

Nobody seems to have mentioned yet that defining carry-on sizes in terms of inches will confuse the all-but-2 other countries in the world that use the metric system.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:41 pm

I favor simple solutions to big problems. OH abuse is largely the product of borish DYKWIA's who full well know what they are doing. The practice makes boarding unpleasant and slow and delays push. As one who generally travels in F, I would just as soon board last, but have to board first to get the OH space which handles by compliant carry-on.

There are two "barriers" to boarding a commercial aircraft: 1) security checkpoint; and 2) gate. #2 is far preferable place and allows flexibility but carriers can't/won't enforce. That leaves #1 which is not preferable for a broad variety of reasons, but can be accomplished.

It's easy and it will work. If the carriers want to do it themselves, I'm fine with that, but let's see them do it.
Ah, yes, one size fits all. Typical bureaucratic response. That's exactly what I'd expect out of the TSA.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:18 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by stifle
Nobody seems to have mentioned yet that defining carry-on sizes in terms of inches will confuse the all-but-2 other countries in the world that use the metric system.
Ah, but just as TSA screeners KNOW that everyone REALLY understands English if you just shout loudly enough, most Americans KNOW that furriners REALLY use inches and pounds at home when no one's looking. They only talk about "kilos" and "centimetres" to be annoying.

The other key point is that a 2-dimensional sizer template only measures (duh) two of three dimensions of a bag; it could be 14" x 9" x [anything] and fit an AA template.

I probably don't need to say this, but for the record I'm against TSA taking on yet another responsibility that has nothing to do with security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.