Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Email to Global Entry Members About New Trusted traveler program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,

We are pleased to announce that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is partnering with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) on a new Department of Homeland Security initiative announced July 14, 2011, that qualifies some passengers for expedited screening through U.S. airport security checkpoints.

This pilot program will be available to U.S. citizens who are members of CBP’s Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI Trusted Traveler programs. The pilot program will provide expedited screening through TSA checkpoints via dedicated screening lanes.

Additional information will be sent out prior to the pilot’s implementation, explaining more about the program and the necessary steps you will need to take in order to participate.

For more information and the latest updates, please visit www.tsa.gov or contact TSA at (866)289-9673.

Additionally, CBP would like to announce the availability of Global Entry kiosks at select Canadian preclearance locations. Global Entry kiosks are now available at CBP preclearance at the Vancouver International Airport and at Ottawa’s MacDonald-Cartier Airport. Global Entry kiosks will be placed at Montreal’s Trudeau International Airport and at Toronto’s Lester B. Pearson International Airport by September 2011. The placement of Global Entry kiosks at Canadian preclearance locations is the next step in the integration of the Global Entry and NEXUS Trusted Traveler programs.

The integration of the Global Entry and NEXUS programs began in December 2010, when CBP published a Federal Register Notice announcing that NEXUS members could participate in Global Entry. With the deployment of Global Entry kiosks to Canadian preclearance, Global Entry members will be able to take advantage of the program when returning home from Canada. NEXUS members will have the option of using either the Global Entry or NEXUS kiosks in preclearance. Further announcements will be made as necessary.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975
This pilot program will be available to U.S. citizens who are members of CBP’s Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI Trusted Traveler programs.
(I'm sure I know what they meant, but) I'm curious how many people are members in all three of those programs? Especially since...

The pilot program will provide expedited screening through TSA checkpoints via dedicated screening lanes.
So, you want expedited screening - well, just pay a little more... and hand over your information.

At the same time, those who aren't members - well, they get to pay for that dedicated lane in more ways than just tax dollars. They will get longer wait times since most locations will have to free up one of their screening lanes to become a dedicated lane for the Trusted Traveler program.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:54 am

Location: FLL. AA PLT 2.7MM, UA Gold MM, Delta Gold Medallion & Lifetime SC, Hilton GVIP, SGP, Hertz 5 Star
I got the email from TSA two days ago about the pilot program, and another email about 5 minutes ago from AA inviting me to opt-in. American needed my Trusted Traveler ID number, which I happened to have handy from my membership in GlobalEntry and NEXUS. I replied on the spot.

I honestly don't care what the TSA knows about me, as long as I get through security quicker and I don't necessarily have to get microwave cooked or irradiated in the process.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: United
Still no word on what the trusted travel program actually means.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Shame about the "US Citizen" clause (as I am not). As long as it doesn't entail 100% irradiation, I would have been a good volunteer to test the program!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I wonder if people who are eligible for this trusted traveler program will have to produce a passport or the new GE card at the airport even on a domestic flight. To get the GE, we had to produce our driver license info. Any chance that the new program will accept just your DL and not need a passport?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by RobertS975
I wonder if people who are eligible for this trusted traveler program will have to produce a passport or the new GE card at the airport even on a domestic flight. To get the GE, we had to produce our driver license info. Any chance that the new program will accept just your DL and not need a passport?
I read that the TT information will be printed on your BP so you should just need regular ID and the BP.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:00 pm

Trusted Traveler Number = PASS number?

Originally Posted by Horizons
I got the email from TSA two days ago about the pilot program, and another email about 5 minutes ago from AA inviting me to opt-in. American needed my Trusted Traveler ID number, which I happened to have handy from my membership in GlobalEntry and NEXUS. I replied on the spot.
Horizons - is your trusted traveler number the same as your PASSID on the back of your Global Entry card? I recently received mine and saw a space in a recent DL online reservation to put one, but the format appeared different... like "AB12345678US", where my GE PASSID is just digits.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
and of course, no visitor to the US will qualify...

Just another reason why I no longer spend any $ getting to, or in, the US.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by neuron
Shame about the "US Citizen" clause (as I am not). As long as it doesn't entail 100% irradiation, I would have been a good volunteer to test the program!
Is that actually true, or is it for any NEXUS/GE member?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by boston02115
Horizons - is your trusted traveler number the same as your PASSID on the back of your Global Entry card? I recently received mine and saw a space in a recent DL online reservation to put one, but the format appeared different... like "AB12345678US", where my GE PASSID is just digits.
Also wondering this. Anyone? There are too many numbers on the back of this darn card!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 2:19 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mientree
(I'm sure I know what they meant, but) I'm curious how many people are members in all three of those programs?
Anyone who is a NEXUS member is a member of all three programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.