Selective patdown for child alarming WBI

Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Selective patdown for child alarming WBI

Haven't seen it mentioned here, but I thought I'd report on our experience going through CLE last week.

My 10 year old daughter and I both went through the MMW scanner device (despite trying to time for a WTMD).

The device had a screen just at its exit which showed a stick figure with any points of interest highlighted.

I cleared with no issues.

My daughter showed a point of interest around her chest area.

In the past, this would have resulted in a full patdown, which I was prepared to decline on her behalf (we had discussed doing this prior to travelling to the US and were fully prepared to not fly if this happened).

This time, however, a female TSA agent very politely asked for my permission to selectively pat down the area of interest. I agreed, and my daughter was very gently patted down in only the area of interest. The TSA agent used the back of her hand.

Last edited by ConcernedAussie; Aug 18, 2011 at 8:26 pm
Old Aug 18, 2011, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by ConcernedAussie
The device had a screen just at its exit which showed a stick figure with any points of interest highlighted.
It sounds like this is the new software they've been talking about.

In the past, this would have resulted in a full patdown
That's certainly not my experience. Every time I've been through the AIT and there was an issue, there was a very small area patted down.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 8:36 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
It sounds like this is the new software they've been talking about.....
Yup

TSA Takes Next Steps to Further Enhance Passenger Privacy

Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:25 am

Unforutnately however that is the software still termed a failure in tests in Europe, with a false rate of over 30 percent according to some estimates. Remember, that included sweat stains, pleats or folds or layers of clothing, and poor posture.

And in the German test there was always just a pat down of the area in question. I'm glad that OP's child just had the one area patted down but hopefully that is the norm in the US.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.