Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Updating Your Delta Profile for New TSA Trusted Traveler Program

Updating Your Delta Profile for New TSA Trusted Traveler Program

Old Aug 18, 2011, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexb133
Are they able to do iris scans at land crossings now?
No. I still need to get an Iris can and will do that next month in Toronto. I live fifteen miles from the border and mostly cross by car.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:10 am
Original Poster

I can't speak to your State's law. In my state, there are exemptions to an expungment. We don't have a sealing procedure so I expect that our expungment procedure might to be somewhere in between.

What I can tell you is that the title of a law is often the worst tool to determine what it actually does. Just because the dictionary definition of a word support an argument that the law means X doesn't make it so. This is particularly true after the law has been on the books for a while and has been tinkered with.

I note that page 4 of the Illinois PD's FAWs says:

"No, and it is against the law for employers orI have to tell employers about it? potential employers (except those specifically allowed by law) to ask you whether you ever had any records expunged or sealed."

the FAQs go on to say:

"You don't have to disclose the expunged conviction unless the law requires it on occupational licensing forms."

I can tell you that a Michigan law license application specifically asks about arrests not leading to conviction and expunged/pardoned convictions.

By the way, the Illinois manual is very well done. I forwarded a copy of the same to a friend who is the Director of the State Appellate Defender's Office in Detroit with a suggestion that they might want to use it as a model for their Michigan version of the same.

Note the parenthetical notation. I posted your position on a lawyer's listserv with a number of Illinois lawyers on it. I will
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:25 am
Original Poster

I emailed your post to a friend who is a criminal attorney in Illinois and a former clerk for an Illinois criminal trial court. I had said in my email that I question whether an expungment would be a deep enough purge that a Homeland security background check wouldn't see through it. This is what he said:

"Your inclination is correct. At the very least, a deep background may show the individual was arrested but may not show the charge or disposition (which may actually hurt the petitioner in some instances).

The problem in Illinois is that the State Police read the statute as not binding on them to purge the record of an expungement petition so it often takes a fight, or at a minimum some begging, to get the records person at headquarters (in Springfield) to do their job.

While expungement is better than sealing, a petition for expungement and sealing is better and more comprehensive in Illinois. Don't ask me why this is but petitioners always had more success in getting more of the "criminal footprint" removed by filing this more comprehensive motion.

I clerked for several Illinois trial court judges during law school and one of my primary responsibilities was to review and advise the judges whether to grant expungement and sealing petitions. I have been out of that loop for 3 years now."

If you are the beneficiary of an Illinois expungment, this might be a "t" that you might want to make sure is crossed.

Update:

Here is another response I received from another colleague who practices criminal law in Illinois:

"They are still around. They are "impounded" in the clerks office and you can file a motion to unseal and reseal which I've seen routinely done for young licensed proffesionals to be, that are going in front of character and fitness or the department of prof reg that licenses doctors etc....they need access to the disposition and often the arrest report. At the same time, fingerprint/booking cards are sent back by cops to the lawyer/petitioner after expungement...they've been good at complying lately after some recent litigation going after the state police."

I don't want to hijack this thread too much, but I just wanted to pass this on. As a compromise measure, why not check the "no" box on the GOES application, but note the expungment in the comments. This will meant that at least an algorithm won't deny you admission to the program.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Aug 18, 2011 at 8:20 am
Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
No. I still need to get an Iris can and will do that next month in Toronto. I live fifteen miles from the border and mostly cross by car.
You can get an iris scan at the land crossing in Buffalo and in Vancouver, otherwise it's at a Canadian airport. I also had my Nexus/GE interview at the Detroit Ambassador bridge trailer park. The next time I go to Toronto I'll make a quick stop off the 401 at the airport - you don't need an appointment for just the iris scan.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:04 am
Original Poster

I think Detroit CBP operates out of a trailer park because they want to move it to Detroit River International Crossing when it gets opened. The owner of the Ambassador Bridge takes the word "AH" to new extremes. He owns the largest border crossing in the US but has sued US Customs to try and extract more rent, screwed with the State of Michigan, defied court orders, and is guilty of massive astroturfing. Rather than trying to make friends with Government to expand his bridge, he has nickel and dimed everyone while pleading poverty.

He has also stood in the way of most favorable development around that bridge. The area will never be great, but it could be made a little more friendly. It is a funny site, when you go out to lunch on Huron Church Road (the Canadian side) near the Bridge, you often find US border agents eating there. Other than Mexican Village, there is nothing on the US side.

I was told by US CBP agent that he started up with them when they put a couple of employee only picnic tables on an unused patch of grass near their plaza.

The bridge has also cut Windsor in half and turned one of their busiest retail streets into a virtual parking lot.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I think Detroit CBP operates out of a trailer park because they want to move it to Detroit River International Crossing when it gets opened. The owner of the Ambassador Bridge takes the word "AH" to new extremes. He owns the largest border crossing in the US but has sued US Customs to try and extract more rent, screwed with the State of Michigan, defied court orders, and is guilty of massive astroturfing. Rather than trying to make friends with Government to expand his bridge, he has nickel and dimed everyone while pleading poverty.

He has also stood in the way of most favorable development around that bridge. The area will never be great, but it could be made a little more friendly. It is a funny site, when you go out to lunch on Huron Church Road (the Canadian side) near the Bridge, you often find US border agents eating there. Other than Mexican Village, there is nothing on the US side.

I was told by US CBP agent that he started up with them when they put a couple of employee only picnic tables on an unused patch of grass near their plaza.

The bridge has also cut Windsor in half and turned one of their busiest retail streets into a virtual parking lot.
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you about Matty Moroun. I just figured they could have had Nexus/GE interviews done at their offices in the McNamara (federal) building downtown, or at the Detroit/Windsor tunnel offices, instead of trailers at the bridge.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 9:40 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alexb133
Are they able to do iris scans at land crossings now?
There are a few that do it, but I believe most still don't.

What I can tell you is that the title of a law is often the worst tool to determine what it actually does. Just because the dictionary definition of a word support an argument that the law means X doesn't make it so. This is particularly true after the law has been on the books for a while and has been tinkered with.
One of the problems is that the law doesn't provide a definition of expungement.

"No, and it is against the law for employers for potential employers (except those specifically allowed by law) to ask you whether you ever had any records expunged or sealed."

the FAQs go on to say:

"You don't have to disclose the expunged conviction unless the law requires it on occupational licensing forms."
Correct-- some occupations require disclosure.

By the way, the Illinois manual is very well done. I forwarded a copy of the same to a friend who is the Director of the State Appellate Defender's Office in Detroit with a suggestion that they might want to use it as a model for their Michigan version of the same.
Excellent idea. ^

I emailed your post to a friend who is a criminal attorney in Illinois and a former clerk for an Illinois criminal trial court. I had said in my email that I question whether an expungment would be a deep enough purge that a Homeland security background check wouldn't see through it. This is what he said:

"Your inclination is correct. At the very least, a deep background may show the individual was arrested but may not show the charge or disposition (which may actually hurt the petitioner in some instances).
But a check an NCIC would (should) not. Trusted Traveler is (to my knowledge) just an NCIC check; it is certainly not a "deep" background check.

The problem in Illinois is that the State Police read the statute as not binding on them to purge the record of an expungement petition so it often takes a fight, or at a minimum some begging, to get the records person at headquarters (in Springfield) to do their job.

While expungement is better than sealing, a petition for expungement and sealing is better and more comprehensive in Illinois. Don't ask me why this is but petitioners always had more success in getting more of the "criminal footprint" removed by filing this more comprehensive motion.
That seems to be the wisdom.

I clerked for several Illinois trial court judges during law school and one of my primary responsibilities was to review and advise the judges whether to grant expungement and sealing petitions. I have been out of that loop for 3 years now."
Cool.

"They are still around. They are "impounded" in the clerks office and you can file a motion to unseal and reseal which I've seen routinely done for young licensed proffesionals to be, that are going in front of character and fitness or the department of prof reg that licenses doctors etc....they need access to the disposition and often the arrest report. At the same time, fingerprint/booking cards are sent back by cops to the lawyer/petitioner after expungement...they've been good at complying lately after some recent litigation going after the state police."
Good, so the police are finally complying-- albeit based on litigation.

I don't want to hijack this thread too much, but I just wanted to pass this on.
I take full responsibility; let's stop now.

As a compromise measure, why not check the "no" box on the GOES application, but note the expungment in the comments. This will meant that at least an algorithm won't deny you admission to the program.
I am already a NEXUS member-- and I've never been arrested-- so I'm not particularly worried.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
My base airport is DTW which is going to be a pilot for the new TSA trusted traveler program. I am a US citizen, Delta Gold, Nexus, and Global Entry. I should qualify, but I can't figure out how to enter my CBP Profile Number into my Delta account. Any suggestions?
Holy cow has this thread been hijacked. I've learned more about people's traffic violations, and a whole lot of thoughts about privacy than I really needed to.

What I couldn't find is how to update my profile

Delta now has a way to enter your "known traveler number". I have a nexus card. I don't know what my "number" is..

On the front, it has my name, birthday, country of residence and stuff.

On the back, there's three numbers that might be of interest. On the left, it says:

"PASSID/Numero d'identification
123456789 AB123

And on the right, it has a bunch of other numbers, including a big 9 digit number.

I think it's either the number under PASSID, or the big unlabeled number on the right, but I'm not sure. They're both 9 digits, but they're different.

I kinda suspect the number on the left is a canadian number, and the big one on the right is the US number. Any ideas?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Hmm, on second thought, I think it's the number under PASSID.

I logged into GOES, and that's the number that GOES shows me.

Hopefully the wrong number doesn't end up giving me BP's with SSSS on them
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
I don't have a card, only the CPB sticker.

I assume it is the 9 digit membership number which needs to be entered on the DL website under Trusted traveler??
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:47 am

Hi vielflieger. I was thinking the same thing. I posted my membership number into the "Known Traveler Number" field. However, the example given on the Delta profile page is (example: AX123456789US). So I'm not sure if that's right or not.

The other thing is that the e-mail from Delta states:
To opt in and save your information for all future flights, visit your profile at delta.com and:
Update and save your Secure Flight Passenger Data information
Or, provide your PASS ID / Membership Number if you are a participant in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Global Entry, SENTRI or NEXUS program
The key word is "or". So I'm not sure if any number actually needs to be posted, only updating the Secure Flight Passenger Data.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.