Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Closest airport to SAT that is "NoS-free"? Perhaps GRK?

Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:01 pm
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite

I'd like to bring my wife with me when I travel to SAT the next time, but I refuse to expose her to TSA's groping security theater. Anyone know the closest airport to SAT that is "NoS-free" (that is, FAMILY-FRIENDLY!). I can drive from there to/from SAT.

I could not stand and watch my wife be "woman-handled" by a "security" person; I won't let people assault my wife.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by KDS
I could not stand and watch my wife be "woman-handled" by a "security" person;
I won't let people assault my wife.
You definitely should drive, then !
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:16 pm
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MrHalliday
You definitely should drive, then !
Yes, but my question is, from where? Is GRK safe? You're not too far from that airport, per your "signature"?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:26 pm

Austin airport is scanner free and is surely driveable if SAT is near you. The best website I've found for this purpose is tsastatus.net

Please keep tsastatus.net up to date if you decide to visit an airport. I can't tell you how much safer I feel knowing how to avoid NOS.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I second the suggestion to fly through Austin.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 5:49 pm
KDS
Original Poster

I had heard / read that NoS devices are being installed / have been installed at AUS? That has not happened yet? If not, I believe that Austin is to get them soon?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
Originally Posted by KDS
I had heard / read that NoS devices are being installed / have been installed at AUS? That has not happened yet? If not, I believe that Austin is to get them soon?
1. AUS does not currently have AIT. There were expansions made at the checkpoints in the past year to add additional lanes, and the exit was rerouted. One TSA worker recently mentioned that they were planning to add AIT, but the last I heard from recommendations to the city council (you prob could do a search here) was that the city really does not want or support AIT. You can bet you will hear the screams from here if that happens.

2. AUS closer and much better choices of flights than GRK.

3. I have almost 100% had good experiences (even as a woman with a decent figure, travelling alone---a demographic that some have suggested are targeted by TSA) going through security at AUS. Unfortunately, another FTer who has a disability did not get to share that same good experience, even though I suggested she would be treated well, and for that, I was quite sorry. But, generally, I would say they are pretty decent here.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 7:56 pm
KDS
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AUS2008
1. AUS does not currently have AIT...
2. AUS closer and much better choices of flights than GRK.
3. I have almost 100% had good experiences...
Thank you very much for your reply. I will consider AUS for the next trip.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by AUS2008
One TSA worker recently mentioned that they were planning to add AIT, but the last I heard from recommendations to the city council (you prob could do a search here) was that the city really does not want or support AIT. You can bet you will hear the screams from here if that happens.
I've heard that the floor at AUS can't support the added weight. Not sure if there's any truth to that or not.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I've heard that the floor at AUS can't support the added weight. Not sure if there's any truth to that or not.
Weight of the machines or of the additional TSA personnel required?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.