How long to clear Customs to/from YVR?

Subscribe
Newbie, please help:

How long can we expect to clear Customs in YVR for a U.S. transborder flight?

We're arriving late Friday morning and leaving early the next Friday morning.

The posts I see are from before the Olympics, and they mention 2-3 hours! You would think/hope that the facilities are better now.
Quote: Newbie, please help:

How long can we expect to clear Customs in YVR for a U.S. transborder flight?

We're arriving late Friday morning and leaving early the next Friday morning.

The posts I see are from before the Olympics, and they mention 2-3 hours! You would think/hope that the facilities are better now.
Average wait time during peak hours are 45 mins - 1h30m. It depends on how many officers are working basically.

Are you a US citizen? If so, it should be even shorter because Vancouver has special lanes.
thanks!
Quote: Average wait time during peak hours are 45 mins - 1h30m. It depends on how many officers are working basically.

Are you a US citizen? If so, it should be even shorter because Vancouver has special lanes.
Yes, U.S. citizen. Appreciate the help, especially for the 6:30 A.M. departure.
Beware that summer season generally brings peak wait times up.

I left YVR last friday morning (8:30 am departure) and it took 1+hours.
6:30 times should be better, but allow for an hour IMO.

Into YVR you're at the mercy of your timing against jumbo jets from Asia/Europe. I've literally walked right up to an agent with no wait, and have waited 1.5 hours.
Quote: Yes, U.S. citizen. Appreciate the help, especially for the 6:30 A.M. departure.
No problem. You should be fine if you arrive at the airport at 5:00AM. In fact its plenty of time.

Like the person above posted, if a jumbojet from Asia lands early that morning (and alot of passengers are connecting to the US), you may have a slightly more wait time. Generally though, 1h30m is more than enough time.

Also - Not sure about YVR, but at YYZ, even though the airport suggests that you arrive 3 hours before your flight, US CBP doesn't open until 4:30AM.. Therefore only leaving 1h30m for a 6 AM flight..
AFAIK, for transborder in Canada, you won't be allowed to line up for CBP processing until 2 hours prior. It's this way in YEG and YYC now.
Quote: AFAIK, for transborder in Canada, you won't be allowed to line up for CBP processing until 2 hours prior. It's this way in YEG and YYC now.
It's that way at YYZ too during very busy periods.. (I've only witnessed it once - last year holiday season)
Unfortunately, someone with my name has been tagged as undesirable at the US customs. Invariably, flight or cruise, I am pulled out of line while they look into this. Almost missed our flight to Disneyland when we took our granddaughter, and thank heavens the cruise was delayed as on a Sunday it was difficult to get anyone to verify. I have a nexus card, but I am still undesirable at customs, so I have given up and only drive over the border.
You may have been given a random compliance check if you have nexus.