Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How to destroy/hammer an RFID chip in a passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

I know the best way to destroy an RFID chip in a passport is by hammering, but do I have to put a cloth on the passport before hammering, to protect the passport? And what surface should I hammer on? Is there a way to verify the chip has been disabled?

Also, do Passport Cards or enhanced driver's licenses have an RFID chip?

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
An alternative is to get a RFID blocking passport case/wallet.

A quick web search will show you a whole bunch.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:55 pm

You realise that intentional damage to the passport [card] is a criminal offence, right?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by König
You realise that intentional damage to the passport [card] is a criminal offence, right?
Proving intent is always a challenge...

//unless of course there's a public posting showing premeditation
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:57 pm

I've heard a few seconds in the microwave will take care of the RFID chip. Haven't tried it though.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Hammer Time! ^

EDIT:
Originally Posted by t325
I've heard a few seconds in the microwave will take care of the RFID chip. Haven't tried it though.
Not a good idea; see link above.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
An alternative is to get a RFID blocking passport case/wallet.

A quick web search will show you a whole bunch.
Thanks. The problem with a shielder is it doesn't block transmission when the agent removes the passport.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

It might cause a fire, and such burn marks will be left on the passport. And a burned passport smells very bad.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
Do Not Damage/Microwave RFID's

==================================================
First, IF the card SHOWS visible damage it will NOT be accepted as valid!
Second, IF you microwave the card will melt at the "logo" IF there is one and not be Valid or Accepted
Third, Intentional damage to disable an RFID on a Passport Card is criminal.
***It's much simpler to keep covered in a protective sleeve or to wrap in aluminium foil until needed.
This will prevent unwanted reading of card.**
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by mileena
I know the best way to destroy an RFID chip in a passport is by hammering, but do I have to put a cloth on the passport before hammering, to protect the passport? And what surface should I hammer on?
Don't damage your passport. While you will most likely not be criminally prosecuted for it, a hammered passport will show signs of damage/mutilation, therefore rendering it invalid.

Originally Posted by mileena
Also, do Passport Cards or enhanced driver's licenses have an RFID chip?

Thanks!
Yes, any WHTI-card (passport card, NEXUS card) have chips. EDLs also have an RFID chip (at least the ones issued by Ontario)

If you are really concerned about your privacy (which you have every right to be), consider protecting the cards in their respective RFID-blocking sleeve. Nexus card came with the sleeve. In the case of a passport, you can buy the special case that blocks RFID (I got mine from the SkyMall catalogue in anticipation for the Canadian biometric passport which rolls out next year)
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Hammer Time! ^

EDIT:

Not a good idea; see link above.
Can Touch This! (to the riff from Shark Tale!)
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Proving intent is always a challenge...

//unless of course there's a public posting showing premeditation
Considering how easy it is to find videos showing how to hammer an RFID chip, I assume that many CBP officers are aware of these attempts as well. So, if an RFID passport (passport card, EDL, NEXUS, etc) cannot be read with an RFID reader, then it stands to reason that a CBP officer would inspect the document more closely. But then I do not really know how a hammered passport looks like... Maybe, Firebug will comment?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by König
So, if an RFID passport (passport card, EDL, NEXUS, etc) cannot be read with an RFID reader, then it stands to reason that a CBP officer would inspect the document more closely. But then I do not really know how a hammered passport looks like...
Originally Posted by alexb133
Don't damage your passport. While you will most likely not be criminally prosecuted for it, a hammered passport will show signs of damage/mutilation, therefore rendering it invalid.
The day mine arrived in the mail, I put it inside a folded thick piece of paper, set it on the garage floor, and went medieval on it with a big hammer. It doesn't look physically any different than before, and its use while transiting various customs areas has been a non-event.

Originally Posted by alexb133
In the case of a passport, you can buy the special case that blocks RFID (I got mine from the SkyMall catalogue in anticipation for the Canadian biometric passport which rolls out next year)
Wow, I finally found someone that bought something from SkyMall.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status

Wow, I finally found someone that bought something from SkyMall.
Haha I've bought quite a few things from them actually. My favourite is the Hammacher Schlemmer wake-up clock.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
The day mine arrived in the mail, I put it inside a folded thick piece of paper, set it on the garage floor, and went medieval on it with a big hammer. It doesn't look physically any different than before, and its use while transiting various customs areas has been a non-event.
Just curious: How sure/confident are you that this accomplished its intended purpose? Have customs agents remarked that the RFID chip doesn't seem to be working? Or have you actually tried "reading" it yourself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.