Passport Card

Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Passport card?

I've been throwing around the idea of getting a passport card (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_card) for the purpose of showing to the TSO to get through the "security" checkpoint. I see disadvantages to the two existing government-issued photo ID cards I already have:

- My state driver's license has my home address on it. We all know about <TSOs'>' criminal tendencies, and I'd rather not receive a call from my burglar alarm monitoring agency while I'm on vacation.

- My US passport is currently empty as I have not gone abroad since getting it, but once it does get some stamps in it, I don't want a <TSO> scrutinizing my international travel history. I don't want the screener to see that I've been to XYZ country and either (1) grill me about why I was there, or (2) turn on the Super Silly Special Search because anyone who's ever been to XYZ country has several kilos of marijuana in their carry-on and/or is a Terrorist(TM).

Disadvantage? Being held up an hour or being denied access to airside because the <TSOs> don't think it's a TSA-accepted ID, even though it is.

Or am I being paranoid?

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 20, 2019 at 7:59 am Reason: Derisive terms
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
I use my passport card all the time now at the ID check. Unlike some other folks, though, I have been fortunate enough to never have had a problem with it not being accepted automatically. And this is at LAX, LAS, SFO, ATL, RIC, MSY, ORF, and DAY.

My reasons for using it are pretty much the same as yours, particularly after one occasion when a screener (a BDO or BDO trainee, I think) at my home airport looked over my DL in detail, paying close attention to every item. Considering my address is a very easy-to-remember one, AND I WAS ASKED HOW LONG I WAS GOING TO BE AWAY, (amongst a lot of other questions), I was justifiably concerned about burglary possibilities under such circumstances (though not too worried in that particular instance because the house wasn't going to be empty during my trip).

Plus it's nice to have as a backup govt ID in general (I never keep it together with my DL)
Old Apr 15, 2011, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahohmei
I've been throwing around the idea of getting a passport card (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_card) for the purpose of showing to the TSO to get through the "security" checkpoint. I see disadvantages to the two existing government-issued photo ID cards I already have:

- My state driver's license has my home address on it. We all know about <TSOs'> criminal tendencies, and I'd rather not receive a call from my burglar alarm monitoring agency while I'm on vacation.

- My US passport is currently empty as I have not gone abroad since getting it, but once it does get some stamps in it, I don't want a <TSO> scrutinizing my international travel history. I don't want the screener to see that I've been to XYZ country and either (1) grill me about why I was there, or (2) turn on the Super Silly Special Search because anyone who's ever been to XYZ country has several kilos of marijuana in their carry-on and/or is a Terrorist(TM).

Disadvantage? Being held up an hour or being denied access to airside because the <TSOs> don't think it's a TSA-accepted ID, even though it is.

Or am I being paranoid?
I use a Passport Card because it does not have address or SSN on it.

At PBI the TDC using a pen to follow the lines went through my name and address on my DL. I felt very uncomfortable not knowing this persons intent.

Don't give them any more info that you have to and if they refuse the card call for the FSD.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 20, 2019 at 7:54 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:01 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I use my Passport Card all the time, and so far the only issues I've had have been with the same TDC @ SJU.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:45 am

I have started using my green card as ID for these reasons. Lets me keep my more bulky passport safely in my bag or pocket, and they have no business seeing my address.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by vkng
I have started using my green card as ID for these reasons. Lets me keep my more bulky passport safely in my bag or pocket, and they have no business seeing my address.
I value my green card more than my passport, so the former won't be shown to the TSA.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Even though a Passport Card wouldn't have my address on it, a resourceful screener could, theoretically, look me up on the county pr

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
I value my green card more than my passport, so the former won't be shown to the TSA.
I can see that. I refuse anymore to use my passport for anything but check-in and customs because every time someone takes it they bend it back beyond a safe point, causing my old passport to start cracking and tearing at the seam. I think all check in agents and TSA ID checkers think that all passports are as flexible as US passports...

Since losing a green card does not mean I cannot return home (can enter the US under the visa waiver program), nor to my home country I value my passport more than my green card. Not to mention that the only places I can apply for a new passport are in person at my country's embassies makes it a bit more difficult to replace.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
If you don't have a NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST or similar, the PP Card is the way to go.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
As others have mentioned, the TDCers seem to be on the ball about passport cards these days being acceptable. In fact, I even use it now when I get carded for alcohol.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: United
I use my passport card with the TDC for a different reason. If I lose my passport card at the airport I can still rent a car when I get to my destination. If I lose my drivers license, I am screwed.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Even though a Passport Card wouldn't have my address on it, a resourceful screener could, theoretically, look me up on the county pr
How so? IIRC, my home state is not listed on my PP card. How would they pick you out of millions of people?

I have not used my DL for almost a year. If I don't have much time, I'll use the PP card. If I have plenty of time, then I use NEXUS... Always fun to see the clerks eyes when I refuse to show my DL, as they have never seen NEXUS

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 20, 2019 at 7:57 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:19 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Even though a Passport Card wouldn't have my address on it, a resourceful screener could, theoretically, look me up on the county property appraiser's website. Of course, it would be a pretty long bet to assume that a screener knows that's even possible. And not knowing the address, the screener doesn't know if I'm leaving home or coming home...

No matter what ID I show, perhaps I should memorize the screener's name. If I have a burglary while I'm gone, I know where to start...

If I were not a US citizen, I would use my driver's license. I'd be extremely hesitant to use my foreign passport, green card, or any other evidence that I'm not a US citizen, lest I encounter a screener who assumes that all fur'ners are terr'ists.
I use the passport card for travel and only find an occasional TDC who does not know it is approved ID, and sometimes claim its not valid for travel by air (domestically).

Good luck trying to look me up on the assessor website, its been redacted!

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 18, 2011 at 1:12 pm Reason: derogatory references
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:34 pm

I use my passport card for US travel and have never had an issue with it.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Since I received my PP card about 6 months ago, it's all I've been using at the CP. Only once on the very first use, was I ever questioned about it. I carry documentation from the TSA to show the TDC what their employer deems acceptable ID.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.