Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security Theater at BWI Today

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Security Theater at BWI Today

Going through WN security today (Pier B) with my rollerboard. Inside is my navigation system with my dash mount--mounted together. The dashmount is a heavily weighted base. Approx 6 x 6 inches. Very dense material and (I imagine) might look interesting on the xray screen. This was its first time on a plane!

Sure enough, the screener stops the belt and has me look down the chute and identify the bag as mine. She asks basically what could be in there causing that kind of image. I told her. And she said "OK" and started the belt. I took my bag and left. No bag check, no nothing.

SO, we cant take water through, we have to say our names and remove our shoes. BUT, they see something that looks strange and they TAKE MY WORD FOR IT??? If this is our "security plan", I can assure you, the wrong budgets are likely to be cut in the debt reduction plans.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:28 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps the image wasn't an 'alarm' per se, but she wanted to know what the heck it was out of curiousity.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Perhaps the image wasn't an 'alarm' per se, but she wanted to know what the heck it was out of curiousity.
The sense I got from one of the discussions about answering TSO's questions was that some x-ray operators have some things that are a little suspicious, but not a lot, and if the passenger has a good explanation for it, they'll skip the bag check. To me, that seems like doing things right.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:40 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
SO, we cant take water through, we have to say our names and remove our shoes. BUT, they see something that looks strange and they TAKE MY WORD FOR IT??? If this is our "security plan", I can assure you, the wrong budgets are likely to be cut in the debt reduction plans.
As much as I would love to disparage the TSA, I have to agree with Ari and RichardKenner. A good explanation for an unknown item should usually be sufficient to resolve this kind of situation. The possibility of not allowing TSA screeners to use such judgement is terrifying (this is from someone who considers the TSA far more terrifying than terrorists).
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Not picking sides, yet I'm getting from this that the xray tech has discretion, and I was under the impression that discretion was the one thing that TSO's didn't have. No variables, no choices, no decisions, you do the prescribed action, no matter how valuable or not. This is interesting...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Not picking sides, yet I'm getting from this that the xray tech has discretion, and I was under the impression that discretion was the one thing that TSO's didn't have. No variables, no choices, no decisions, you do the prescribed action, no matter how valuable or not. This is interesting...
There's no way any practical SOP could cover every situation that a TSO could encounter. I don't think it's at all practical to list everything that would cause a bag check: that must be left to the discretion of the operator.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Is it reasonable to assume Mr. Vker's skin tone is, how shall we say, light ?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Is it reasonable to assume Mr. Vker's skin tone is, how shall we say, light ?
6' 5" Blonde hair, blue eyes, white male AND I knew my name when they asked.

I understand the points about me having a reasonable explanation, but I also thought they had to inspect if something looked "fishy".
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:18 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
If the worst complaint we have about TSA is how they DON'T subject a perfectly innocuous carryon to an invasive, time-consuming inspection, we're probably doing all right.

Security theater is a term that means doing something for show only, with little or no actual security or deterrent effect. We've all acknowledged that this is TSA's primary function. Let's not complain about not being harassed enough to keep up the charade.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by sbagdon
I don't think this is a matter of screener discretion. I think they play it both ways: if a screener wants to deny something reasonable (3.5 ounce container), he/she hides behind "I just have to follow the rules". That same screener may very well cut corners if he/she is lazy - those 'shortcuts' are 'discretionary'.

At least sometimes, I think it's a matter of experience. An experienced and attentive x-ray screener probably feels confident that if he/she is 95% sure what an object is, if the pax confirms it, the item is good to go without a bag check.

Another TSO here who subsequently deleted all her posts said they had an old guy on the x-ray who called 'bag check' on almost every single bag. They called him the 'bag nazi' - he saw illicit liquids in almost every bag and called for a search (nothing there). She speculated offline that it might have been because he was old/drowsy/poor eyesight and was afraid he might miss something or that it was because he didn't like the younger TSOs around him chatting while they stacked tubs/monitored the belts/etc so he kept calling for bag checks to break up the party.

I honestly wonder if some of the gropes aren't the result of inattention in the booth - the voyeur in the booth is fooling around and not paying attention, so he/she calls for a grope on the pax he/she misses.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Going through WN security today (Pier B) with my rollerboard. Inside is my navigation system with my dash mount--mounted together. The dashmount is a heavily weighted base. Approx 6 x 6 inches. Very dense material and (I imagine) might look interesting on the xray screen. This was its first time on a plane!

Sure enough, the screener stops the belt and has me look down the chute and identify the bag as mine. She asks basically what could be in there causing that kind of image. I told her. And she said "OK" and started the belt. I took my bag and left. No bag check, no nothing.

It's a good thing they didn't ask you for a full description where it was a "navigation system with a small nuclear power supply". Sure take my word for it and make me feel safe
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:26 pm

If she had asked you whether this was a dash mount with a hidden bomb and taken your bag apart, threw around all the stuff, and wasted 45 minutes, you would complain, wouldn't you?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by chollie
Another TSO here who subsequently deleted all her posts said they had an old guy on the x-ray who called 'bag check' on almost every single bag.
I do miss her sane voice, she was probably "got at".
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Wait a minute, BWI is doing the name stupidity now too?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I do miss her sane voice, she was probably "got at".
Don't know what her background was, but she was a particularly rare voice of sanity because she seemed able and willing to see all sides.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.