Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do you need to use TSA locks?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by catandmouse
Having learned my lesson, I now leave a miniature swiss knife in an outer (unlocked) pocket of the case and use that to open my case. My stock of cable ties is also in there.
Exactly the same procedure here too!! ^

My 'swiss knife' was bought at a Dollar Tree store [as was the pack of 100 cable ties], so I doubt anyone will bother to steal it!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:25 am
vpk

Programs: AYS, EBG, AAP, FB, CZ, AK
Why to bother locking your bag at all if using TSA locks? Do you really think a thief does not have the keys to TSA locks?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:45 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by vpk
Why to bother locking your bag at all if using TSA locks? Do you really think a thief does not have the keys to TSA locks?
Why bother bumping a thread more than three years old to post that?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nux
Why bother bumping a thread more than three years old to post that?
But as we're all here now...

Back in the day, I had a mate who worked for BAA (the guys who used to run most UK airports). Pre-9/11 things were significantly more lax, and one day he took me on a walking tour "behind the scenes" at Heathrow (this was in the late 80s).

One thing that stuck with me was coming across a Customs rummage team opening a combination lock suitcase with the coolest tool ever.

It consisted of a battery-powered motor driving 3 small rubber wheels and a pair of arms. The operator would use the Customs skeleton key set to open the suitcase lock and would pop the catches. Then he would adjust the arms to push against top and bottom of the case and the rubber wheels to sit on the numbers. On pressing the Start button, it would take no more than a couple of minutes to run through all combinations from 000 to 999, pausing briefly on each one to attempt opening the case with the arms.

The Customs guys were very friendly and told us that they loved this little tool as it saved them sheet-loads of time when they wanted to have a "sneaky peak".

Not sure why the TSA have to be so brutal when this simple technology has been around for 30-odd years ?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I always use a TSA lock on my bags when traveling and do so after the TSA first opened my bag by chopping off the lock. They managed to cut the end of the zip as well which was annoying.
Whilst I do not subscribe to the Southern US, rural, anti-government brigade, I do not understand why the TSA cannot act like normal people and tannoy the passenger or have another mechanism to allow them to open the baggage.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by flieduk
Whilst I do not subscribe to the Southern US, rural, anti-government brigade, I do not understand why the TSA cannot act like normal people and tannoy the passenger or have another mechanism to allow them to open the baggage.
Simply because there is very little time to tannoy the passenger, for them to realise 'oh they want me!' then to go and find an airport phone / info desk then to be taken to the baggage scanning area ...

Plus the sheer number of cases that the TSA inspect each day make it impractical.

I read an article in the Washington Post just before thanksgiving about this and whilst the % of bags that get a manual search (as opposed to extra scans) is small 4 -5 % - the number of bags is in the high hundreds. And each search takes a couple of minutes.

Using the figures at BWI and 120,000 bags in thanksgiving week 5% = 6,000 bags to be manually searched = 860 a day. I hate to think what the numbers are like at JFK or ORD or LAX!

Washington Post article
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:33 am

I've never locked a checked bag. I've never had anything taken from a checked bag. This strategy seems to work fine for me.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
We always lock our bags with TSA locks. We have absolutely no misgivings or any notion that the locks keep potential theives out of our luggage. It's more just to keep the bag closed and cut down on the zipper getting caught and the contents getting spilled out. Why TSA locks and not just zip ties? Somehow, especially now that most luggage companies include them for free, we've built up quite a collection. Surprisingly we've only lost two or three over the years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.