Search

When do you need to use TSA locks?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Many thanks but I'm still confused.

If I fly on a US internal domestic flight.....I still need TSA locks/cable ties?

If I'm departing on a International flight......I don't need to use TSA locks/cable ties?
Were you planning on throwing away your TSA-approved lock on arrival in the US? If you want to put a lock on your luggage, get a TSA lock, and use it everywhere.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Were you planning on throwing away your TSA-approved lock on arrival in the US? If you want to put a lock on your luggage, get a TSA lock, and use it everywhere.
Being a stingy I was hoping I wouldn't need to buy any at all.

Got perfectly good locks as it is but they're not TSA ones.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:39 pm

no comment on stingy, 'cos that would be individual

If you want to gamble, you could use the regular lock on the journey to USA. Then again on the internal domestic (assuming there is one)...and if the lock does not get AK47'd, it'll be available for the home-bound.

However you run the risk that they not only massacre the lock but the suitcase too.

<hmmm, wonder if I should go into TSA...I quite fancy beating up suitcases to take out stress >
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
After having repeated occurrences of having had my locks cut off mainly on US domestic legs after TATL, and finding the "we were here" TSA calling card slip inside, I stopped locking the bags. Can't remember finding a slip inside a normal suitcase since. Exception being golf bags, which they always seem to open.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by loosehead
After having repeated occurrences of having had my locks cut off mainly on US domestic legs after TATL, and finding the "we were here" TSA calling card slip inside, I stopped locking the bags. Can't remember finding a slip inside a normal suitcase since. Exception being golf bags, which they always seem to open.
Compared to me you've been very lucky then.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)

Think of the TSA locks as an investment and that they may save your bags from being savaged by the TSA boltcutters.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by noniron
What do they do if the suitcase has a built in, twisty round number lock thingy me bob?
I have one of those bands that goes round the case with a TSA lock. The case itself, a Ł5 out of an Oxfam shop, is a Delsey combination lock job, and I've put a label above the lock with the number. You can't see the number until the band is removed.

It's Survived 2 trips to the US and several domestic legs intact.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I'll just buy some and give them to my wife as an early Xmas present.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:53 pm
ts3

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, BAEC, SPG, UA, AF
So, yes, you must use TSA locks going or coming or in the good old USA.

However, the TSA employees, who have the keys to the locks, are as guilty as baggage handlers of stealing stuff. Recently, a TSA agent in Florida stole over $50,000 worth of electronics from checked baggage in a 6 month period. He would stuff iPads, GPS receivers, you name it, down his pants. He would sell the stolen items online. Just go to news.google.com and search "tsa thefts". Plenty of articles to read.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
My opinion is that the bad baggage handlers will never bother with an unlocked case It's worked for me so far!
Yup - over 1,000 sectors in the last decade and have never ever locked a bag and as far as I'm aware, nothing has ever gone missing.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by ts3
So, yes, you must use TSA locks going or coming or in the good old USA.

However, the TSA employees, who have the keys to the locks, are as guilty as baggage handlers of stealing stuff. Recently, a TSA agent in Florida stole over $50,000 worth of electronics from checked baggage in a 6 month period. He would stuff iPads, GPS receivers, you name it, down his pants. He would sell the stolen items online. Just go to news.google.com and search "tsa thefts". Plenty of articles to read.
Concur. I use the TSA locks as they cost about the same as good non-TSA locks, and I carry spares in case they chop the lock anyway. I never check anything valuable--clean clothes and dirty laundry are about all they find. Cameras and electronics go in the cabin with me.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by heckenhocker
A built-in combination lock? (ha, thank goodness there are some things my brain can remember then!)...if opened by TSA, you'll be buying a new suitcase for the next trip

However some suitcases with built in combination locks are TSA-openable-without-violence. Look on the suitcase lock for a squadged hexagon in red/white and a keyhole.
The darling TSA did for my Samsonite's combination lock on my second or third trip to the states. It still closes/latches & I'm still using the case 5+ years later, it's just the lock that doesn't work. YMMV.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:35 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Slightly OT, but what do people use to remove their cable ties at the other end? I've always been worried that anything capable of cutting a cable tie runs the risk of being over-zealously confiscated from hand luggage. Nail clippers, maybe?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by raikje
Slightly OT, but what do people use to remove their cable ties at the other end? I've always been worried that anything capable of cutting a cable tie runs the risk of being over-zealously confiscated from hand luggage. Nail clippers, maybe?
Learned this the hard way, the first time I did this. Ended up in my hotel room with a sealed suitcase and looking like an idiot. Found a chamber maid in the corridor who found a pair of scissors and did the necessary.
Having learned my lesson, I now leave a miniature swiss knife in an outer (unlocked) pocket of the case and use that to open my case. My stock of cable ties is also in there.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:55 am

I am only using TSA locks on when I (seldomly) need something to check in on a flight to/from or within the US. I don't trust the TSA guy and I don't trust the baggage handlers at ORD, LAX, MIA, JFK ...... . My experience is that the TSA rambos use tools and destroy your property with and without TSA locks. I have one "US" suitcase.

For the rest of the world I NEVER use the luggage with TSA locks, as all airport and hotel thieves have a copy and can easily get into your suitcases undetected. I am not afraid in Asia and South America of things disappearing out of my suitcase but of things appearing in my bags. I have replaced on my trusted Rimova's all TSA locks with NON TSA locks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.