Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free

Just curious, considering the amount of hassle a NEXUS card seems to get.

For those who don't know, as of July 12, Global Entry includes a RFID card. If you already have GE membership, you can request one. I've been approved for one and it should arrive within the week. (There is a photo of one in another thread on GE, if anyone wants to know what it looks like.)

While the TSA website lists DHS Trusted Traveler cards as acceptable forms of ID, the parenthetical examples have not been updated to include the GE card. I actually wasted my time and submitted a query to the TSA about this. First response was a non-answer about TSA having no control over CBP. Resubmitted, pointed out the non-answer, and got nothing in response!

So, given that this card is new and isn't specifically listed on the TSA site, I'm thinking it might get questioned for a while.

I plan on using mine as soon as I get it and will report back on my experiences.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:33 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by ediemac1

For those who don't know, as of July 12, Global Entry includes a RFID card. If you already have GE membership, you can request one. I've been approved for one and it should arrive within the week. (There is a photo of one in another thread on GE, if anyone wants to know what it looks like.)

While the TSA website lists DHS Trusted Traveler cards as acceptable forms of ID, the parenthetical examples have not been updated to include the GE card. I actually wasted my time and submitted a query to the TSA about this. First response was a non-answer about TSA having no control over CBP. Resubmitted, pointed out the non-answer, and got nothing in response!

So, given that this card is new and isn't specifically listed on the TSA site, I'm thinking it might get questioned for a while.

I plan on using mine as soon as I get it and will report back on my experiences.
Monday a week past I stopped and asked some agents at CBP exit at IAH about the new GE card and they knew nothing about it (and IAH is the busiest GE airport per press release data).
It will take some time I think. But good question for future data points.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: United
I actually wasted my time and submitted a query to the TSA about this. First response was a non-answer about TSA having no control over CBP. Resubmitted, pointed out the non-answer, and got nothing in response!
BTW, I was told by the contact center that they don't actually get to respond to eMails. He told me that there are pre-written eMails and they can only pick the one that is closest.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
BTW, I was told by the contact center that they don't actually get to respond to eMails. He told me that there are pre-written eMails and they can only pick the one that is closest.
That explains it, then. I'm used to a first response being wrong with any customer contact email program, govt or private industry. They're usually based on key word searches and are templated responses. Often, however, a second, follow-up email will get a human response. Guess the TSA version of a human response is no response at all. I wonder why they even bother.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Question Global Entry Trusted Traveler Card

Now that the CBP is issuing them, is the Global Entry Trusted Traveler card acceptable ID at security checkpoints?

I know the Web site says "DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)" but my understanding is that this (the GE card) is very new so I am wondering if itīs covered by what I quoted.

Last edited by jspira; Jul 29, 2011 at 8:53 pm
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:06 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by jspira
Now that the CBP is issuing them, is the Global Entry Trusted Traveler card acceptable ID at security checkpoints?

I know the Web site says "DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)" but my understanding is that this (the GE card) is very new so I am wondering if itīs covered by what I quoted.
I would say....Use at your own risk for ID until the TSA website gets updated to include the GE card and then another several weeks after that will it filter down to the "smurf villages" around the US airports. Some will look at it funny, others that are on a power trip, may call the Governor, the FBI, CIA, Border Patrol, SWAT and the dogs on you. Again YMMV...

I just got my GE card today and I will probably hold off on using it for sometime until they get all the smurfs retrained to accept it as a legitimate form of ID.

Last edited by goingbananas; Jul 30, 2011 at 8:36 am
Old Jul 30, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I would also wait until the website specifically mentions it, but you could also be the test case. The card's format is exactly the same as the Nexus or SENTRI cards. The TSA website says DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards are acceptable and gives a list of examples. If you look at the back of the GE card, it has the SENTRI logo, so you could probably use that as evidence.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Gonna Try It Mon at RDU

Don't expect it to work, since RDU isn't even a GE enabled airport, but we have to start doing TSA's training for them at some point

Will report back on my outcome. BTW - I won't push the issue, it will just be my initial ID presented. If they don't take it, hopefully I'll have enough time for a chat with the supervisor.

Last edited by ediemac1; Jul 30, 2011 at 7:40 am Reason: correct typo
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Don't expect it to work, since RDU isn't even a GE enabled airport, but we have to start doing TSA's training for them at some point

Will report back on my outcome. BTW - I won't push the issue, it will just be my initial ID presented. If they don't take it, hopefully I'll have enough time for a chat with the supervisor.

RDU is the airport that I'd avoid with a GE card
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
RDU?

Not my choice to try it out. Good luck. I guess it could be worse. Like BNA or PHX
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
RDU is the airport that I'd avoid
regardless of form of ID.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Well, It's My Home....

Hate the NoS as primary, hate having to always factor in 'grope time' (especially for a 7am flt - not a morning person), acknowledge the clerks at RDU failed the Southern Charm Class, but I must admit, I've never had truly horrible experiences there. They seem to miss my resistance during the grope every time and communication is mostly silence from both sides. Could be worse.

I hate that others dislike RDU. It reflects badly on my home. As both a resident and a taxpayer, I'm saddened.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:33 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jspira

The GE card looks so similar that they might accept it even though it isn't on the list.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just spent about ten minutes in GOES.. Any idea of where I can apply for the card?

Re: RDU

They are one of the only stations that I can time it perfectly to avoid opting-out, but the rudeness of the clerks pushes down on my list.. I will say that the RDU LEOs were very friendly to me last time. Now if they stand with or against me in a TSA dispute, I do not know.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just spent about ten minutes in GOES.. Any idea of where I can apply for the card?

You can log into GOES and request it for $15. It is of course free with new GE applications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.