It's started in Houston

Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
It's started in Houston

Handed my ID to the guy at IAH and the question was "What's your name"
I started laughing, and said "Are we starting this crap here now?" He gave me a long winded explanation of how a fake would hesitate when asked that question.

I may get into some crap, but my next departure from IAH will be a confrontation. I'm fed up with this trivial BS. Next pass through security, he'll have to prove I'm NOT who I am. This will probably happen next week. Stay tuned.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:25 pm

My name is Smith, spelled, unlogical...
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Houston.Business
I started laughing, and said "Are we starting this crap here now?" He gave me a long winded explanation of how a fake would hesitate when asked that question.
Did he happen to notice that you hesitated?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
There's no compulsion to pronounce your name the way it is spelt (or even with the same syllables) is there?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I may get into some crap, but my next departure from IAH will be a confrontation. I'm fed up with this trivial BS. Next pass through security, he'll have to prove I'm NOT who I am. This will probably happen next week. Stay tuned.
I KNEW we would be punished for the embarrassment the guy with the fake IDs and BPs caused the TSA.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I really, really want to get this. I am taking ASL and I have learned to "sign" my name.

Here is what I think is funny. If the TDC asks me to say my name and I "sign" it, will they realize that I could only have known what the question was if I could hear, but by signing it would indicate that I was possibly deaf?

Do they have ASL interpreters at the check point? I am not very good yet and would be at a disadvantage with someone that knows ASL proficiently.

I have been practicing "I opt out," and my next projects will be "I need to see my belongings," and "Get a supervisor (or LEO), now."
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Here is what I think is funny. If the TDC asks me to say my name and I "sign" it, will they realize that I could only have known what the question was if I could hear, but by signing it would indicate that I was possibly deaf?
You can read lips? How do they know?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I KNEW we would be punished for the embarrassment the guy with the fake IDs and BPs caused the TSA.
I knew it, and sort of hoped it would happen.

The sooner, and farther, that TSA ratchets up the stupidity, the faster this joke show can come to an end.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:48 pm

If I am asked to "say" my name I just may say "a**hole, do ya want to see how big of one I can be?"

Might be fun!!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
I knew it, and sort of hoped it would happen.

The sooner, and farther, that TSA ratchets up the stupidity, the faster this joke show can come to an end.
I'm planning to ask for a Supervisor, and explain that this person is showing that he can't distinguish th e difference between a real ID and a fake ID.

He's supposed to keep me safe, and he's showiing that he's incompident.

We can't have incompidence in our Security System.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:05 pm

I'm planning to ask for a Supervisor, and explain that this person is showing that he can't distinguish th e difference between a real ID and a fake ID.

He's supposed to keep me safe, and he's showiing that he's incompident.

We can't have incompidence in our Security System.

This has got to be one of the funniest posts I've ever read on Flyertalk.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Sometimes, when I'm both nervous and frustrated, I develop a stutter. It can be pretty bad. Can take almost half a minute to get my last name out fully, and it's only five letters long.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by JumboD
Sometimes, when I'm both nervous and frustrated, I develop a stutter. It can be pretty bad. Can take almost half a minute to get my last name out fully, and it's only five letters long.
It would be better if (the pronunciation of) your name suddenly becomes P-P-P-P-Pet-Pet-Pet-t-t-t-ter P-P-P-P-Pop-Pop-Pop-p-p-p-p-per and you'd had an onion and garlic sandwich for lunch.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
It would be better if (the pronunciation of) your name suddenly becomes P-P-P-P-Pet-Pet-Pet-t-t-t-ter P-P-P-P-Pop-Pop-Pop-p-p-p-p-per and you'd had an onion and garlic sandwich for lunch.
When I stutter (and I can't really predict when it'll happen, sort of comes and goes) I do tend to spit a bit, especially as I attempt lip-intensive consonants.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:59 am

You need to have someone right behind you working with you for this to work at its best. And you probably need some extra time for the retaliatory screenings you'll both get.

"My name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt."

To which the person behind must obviously state: "Hey, his name is my name too!"

Hilarity, or at least screener confusion, ensues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.