Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ID checker asking questions - name, destination etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RobertS975
This current system may not be preventing such an occurrence, but for the past 10 years, there have been no domestic hijackings and no planes blown out of the sky.
So that justifies the system?

I have a foolproof terrorist prevention system I'd like to sell the government. Yesterday I flew to SFO. My plane was not hijacked. I was wearing blue jeans. I often wear jeans when I fly, and none of my flights have been hijacked.
Therefore, blue jeans prevent hijackings!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
This is much ado about nothing. I know my name and how to pronounce it so I have no problem doing so when asked.

It is a big deal for some. Because TDCs are agents of the U.S. Government, anything you say to them could be used against you in any legal proceedings. Under the 5th Amendment, you have exactly ZERO obligation to say anything to them. In fact, no matter where you are on U.S. soil, you cannot be forced to say anything to government/authorities that ever could be used against you.

We have discussed this before. In fact, even when you are entering the USA and must undergo FIS inspections (Passport Control, Customs, and Agriculture), as a Citizen you can submit your written declaration and refuse to answer any questions verbally, and CPB cannot prevent you from entering the country. Of course, if you refuse to cooperate with questioning, they have the option of causing you great inconvenience by delaying you for the time it takes to inspect you and your luggage very, very carefully and slowly.

(Note, however, that airline reps and private security are another matter. Airlines are private entities, not the government. An airline can void its contract to transport you (that you accepted by purchasing a ticket) if you refuse to comply with that airline's security procedures, which may include answering questions out loud about your luggage, especially when departing overseas stations. If you do not answer, the airline can say, "fine with us; go fly another airline.")
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFOSpiff

I have a foolproof terrorist prevention system I'd like to sell the government. Yesterday I flew to SFO. My plane was not hijacked. I was wearing blue jeans. I often wear jeans when I fly, and none of my flights have been hijacked.
and to RobertS975
Old Jul 3, 2011, 1:35 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
They have been asking for several weeks at SFO.

"Sir can you you pronounce your name for me?"
"Yes."
"Well then pronounce it."
"What is this a test? Of course I can pronounce it"
Seeing that this was going nowhere fast I just said my name.
"Do you really think a trained terrorist is stupid enough to not memorize the name on the boarding pass? They are terrorists. That's their job."

I was told it was to prevent people with the wrong boarding pass from getting through. I wanted to ask if the ID shown might not give the same information but I just let it go.

Funny thing is a woman about three people back in line was given the wrong boarding pass by the check in counter. So I guess it does happen but the ID would still not match.
The correct response to the "bolded" sentence is "it".

Last edited by nrr; Jul 3, 2011 at 4:54 pm
Old Jul 3, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by Often1
This is much ado about nothing. I know my name and how to pronounce it so I have no problem doing so when asked.
Guess you've never been stalked, had your name in the news for months because you were a witness in a highly-publicized court case, shared a name and physical resemblance (but not a private-plane budget or security staff) with a notorious celebrity, or been the offspring of a prominent government official.

Lucky you.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
It is a big deal for some. Because TDCs are agents of the U.S. Government, anything you say to them could be used against you in any legal proceedings. Under the 5th Amendment, you have exactly ZERO obligation to say anything to them. In fact, no matter where you are on U.S. soil, you cannot be forced to say anything to government/authorities that ever could be used against you.
Be careful: only testamentary speech is protected by the 5th Amendment, not evidentiary speech. The Supreme Court has held (in Hiibel) that one's name is evidentiary and hence a requirement to disclose it is not in violation of the 5th Amendment.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Be careful: only testamentary speech is protected by the 5th Amendment, not evidentiary speech. The Supreme Court has held (in Hiibel) that one's name is evidentiary and hence a requirement to disclose it is not in violation of the 5th Amendment.
But, if one pronounces it incorrectly, are they not subject to prosecution under a telling a fib to a gubmint employee statute of some kind?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
But, if one pronounces it incorrectly, are they not subject to prosecution under a telling a fib to a gubmint employee statute of some kind?
But who is to say that I am pronouncing my name incorrectly? Most Americans who are not of German extraction cannot pronounce my first, middle, or last name correctly.

What happens if the TDC ever challenges me that the way I pronounce my name isn't the way he thinks that it should be pronounced?

(I was delighted however to meet a CBP officer who said that I have one of his favourite names, and when I asked how he pronounced it he did so in the correct German fashion)
Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Scubatooth
The only time i was asked this my retort was "I thought reading comprehension was a job requirement...So much for highly trained professionals"
Exactly what I was thinking.

TDC: What is your name?
Pax: I wish it was John Pistole.
TDC: Why?
Pax: Because then I would make literacy part of the TDC job description.

OT comment: Notice how little Pistole's name comes up here? He sure seems to be keeping a low profile. Kip was a much more visable idiot.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
You probably also know how to bend and spread 'em, so you'll have no problem with that, also, I suppose?
With Often1's attitude to the situation, s/he is far less likely to be required to do that than someone who refuses to respond to the initial demand...
Old Jul 3, 2011, 11:21 pm

In Charlotte I've been asked my age and where I was born.

...the latter i'm not sure how they would deduce from a DL
Old Jul 3, 2011, 11:29 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff

HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!

But if you're wearing Cargo Blue Jeans.... whoo boy. They watch you like a hawk at SFO T2.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:12 am

When they order you to PRONOUNCE your name they are PUBLICLY demanding you reveal your name to any other persons within earshot, a violation of YOUR SECURITY AND YOUR PRIVACY.

That is one step removed from requiring everyone to wear a name tag, just another contrived public humiliation (to be FORCED to do yet something ELSE to entertain, placate and obtain "permission to pass" from them,) like the bullies in the schoolyard demanding you squat and cross your eyes before they will allow you to go your way, just another violation of our right to privacy.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
The only correct way to pronounce your name is how you choose to pronounce it. You can change your pronunciation as often as you wish.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 6:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by exbayern
But who is to say that I am pronouncing my name incorrectly? Most Americans who are not of German extraction cannot pronounce my first, middle, or last name correctly.

What happens if the TDC ever challenges me that the way I pronounce my name isn't the way he thinks that it should be pronounced?

(I was delighted however to meet a CBP officer who said that I have one of his favourite names, and when I asked how he pronounced it he did so in the correct German fashion)
my name can be pronounced in many ways. I've heard at least five versions. None of which is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.