Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dropped passport in hot tub water... do I renew or replace it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dropped passport in hot tub water... do I renew or replace it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:44 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the photo page is not damaged and the binding is intact, you should be OK to renew/replace it by mail (or, depending on how bad it is, just continue using it).
Old Jun 27, 2011, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ari
If the photo page is not damaged and the binding is intact, you should be OK to renew/replace it by mail (or, depending on how bad it is, just continue using it).
I stopped by the local US Passport Agency without an appointment. Showed them my passport and they said I could just renew it... Apparently dropping it in water isn't considered "damage" to them.... unless it has gone through a wash cycle in a washing machine or something.

They allowed me to renew it right there. I'm quite impressed with how they treated me. They could have told me to got home, make an appoinment, and come back again. However, they said since I was already there, they would just take care of it for me. I paid the fee and picked up a new passport 3 hours later! Did have to pay the expedited fee though, but it's was better than coming back again. (half hour parking war $17 each time downtown)
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:06 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smellyplane
I stopped by the local US Passport Agency without an appointment. Showed them my passport and they said I could just renew it... Apparently dropping it in water isn't considered "damage" to them.... unless it has gone through a wash cycle in a washing machine or something.

They allowed me to renew it right there. I'm quite impressed with how they treated me. They could have told me to got home, make an appoinment, and come back again. However, they said since I was already there, they would just take care of it for me. I paid the fee and picked up a new passport 3 hours later! Did have to pay the expedited fee though, but it's was better than coming back again. (half hour parking war $17 each time downtown)
I'm glad they were so nice to you. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.