Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 22, 11, 3:40 pm   #1

Bring Food Through security

Wondering what experience anyone has had bringing food from home through Airport security? Typically I don't , but have a long 9hr domestic flight and looking for options other than airport food. Thx
Rnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 11, 3:54 pm   #2

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, No other status for now..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnak View Post
Wondering what experience anyone has had bringing food from home through Airport security? Typically I don't , but have a long 9hr domestic flight and looking for options other than airport food. Thx
As long as there aren't liquids, you should be fine. I once brought an entire pizza through to bring down to MEM to visit my girlfriend. On the way back, I brought a pulled pork dinner for 6, complete with BBQ Sauce (for w/e reason, they didn't bust me for it) and about a gallon of baked beans(didn't bust me for that, either). You can bring just about anything through as long as it's not on the restricted list and not a weapon.
onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:47 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The only things you can't bring through or which are quantity/size limited are listed on the TSA website. You can bring a sandwich or a pair of socks for all they care. I suppose that they could get snarky about sauces and the like, but they don't seem to.
Often1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 11, 5:21 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB, DL , IC Plat Amb, Hilton Gold, A|Club Platinum
welcome to flyertalk, Rnak

we're happy to have you here: just one thing. before starting a thread, have a look at the forum topic. you posted in communitybuzz! there's the word community in the forum name. (that's why we discuss community related questions like get togethers, member birthdays and so on in that forum)

your thread is about security. so ... best place for that thread is the travel security forum. that's the place where you'll get an answer to your question. for your convenience, I move that thread into our travel security forum. please follow it at its new home. in future, please pay attention what threads fit for the forum you're posting in. if you need further help, the moderators are more than happy to assist you. we're looking forward to your contribution to flyertalk.

enjoy and once again: welcome aboard

regards,

chrissxb
co-moderator
communitybuzz!
Old Jun 22, 11, 5:31 pm   #5
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1667.shtm

and from the blog

http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/06/tsa-2011...avel-tips.html

Quote:
Foods: Food items that are in the form of a liquid or gel are generally not permitted however, items such as cakes, bread, donuts, ham sammiches, etc. are all permitted. Here is a list of items that are prohibited at the checkpoint… Creamy dips and spreads (cheeses, peanut butter, salsa, jams and salad dressings, gravy (mmm gravy), jams, jellies, maple syrup, oils and vinegars, sauces, soups, wine, liquor and beer.
Old Jun 22, 11, 8:42 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnak View Post
Bring some Vegamite. Hilarity ensues.
Pesky Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 11, 8:45 pm   #7

Programs: Member FFOCUS/Choice Gold
You're good as long as they aren't hungry
Old Jun 22, 11, 10:39 pm   #8

Programs: AA LTPlat; MR Plat; HH Gold
The problem is, you won't know for sure in advance. For example, they refused to allow my friend's small container of buffalo mozzarella (not in liquid, just the cheese), but many people have had no problem. Somewhat arbitrary.
Ord Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 11, 11:26 pm   #9

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ord Liza View Post
The problem is, you won't know for sure in advance. For example, they refused to allow my friend's small container of buffalo mozzarella (not in liquid, just the cheese), but many people have had no problem. Somewhat arbitrary.
That one sounds like "a TSO wanted a caprese salad". There's no reason solid cheese should be prohibited. If someone seizes a food item that is clearly not a liquid or gel, you might consider asking to speak to a supervisor.
janetdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 12:20 am   #10

I'm going to ask this and I really don't mean to be snarky, but.....

WHY are there so many people online who think that 'no liquids or gels' means NO food through TSA checkpoints? I honestly see those questions really only in English, related to TSA.

I understand that TSA has inconsistency and has done silly things with pies, etc, but how did the message get so twisted that the average American infrequent flyer seems to believe that the rule for domestic flights is NO food? (Yet when I warn some of those same posters to be careful about bringing certain foods internationally, they often tell me that I am misinformed)

Again, OP I don't mean to be snarky, but I am genuinely curious how that message flowed down to so many people, when it is wrong (and frankly rather absurd)
exbayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 6:45 am   #11

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
When My wife and I travel, we often bring sandwiches with us, I have a small collapsible insulated cooler about the size of a 6 pack, and we often will have in it 2 sandwiches, a bag of potato chips and some cookies.

I never have had a problem with security, it goes through the x-ray machine along with all of our other carry ons, and a bistro size food bag is exempt from the 2 piece carry on limit.

Mr. Elliott
Mr. Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 6:59 am   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by exbayern View Post
WHY are there so many people online who think that 'no liquids or gels' means NO food through TSA checkpoints? I honestly see those questions really only in English, related to TSA.
Because it's a simpler rule to follow than TSA's LGA rule, which is (a) complicated to understand, and (b) arbitrarily enforced.

Ok, it's clear how aerosols relate to food (they don't), and it's clear how liquids relate to food (can't bring your Big Gulp through the checkpoint). It's how to interpret a "gel" that's problematic.

Bringing single-serving sizes of yogurt or apple sauce through a checkpoint can be problematic, if the size of the container exceeds 3.4 fluid ounces. It's even more complicated because such containers are often labeled not by fluid ounces, but by weight ounces (stooooopid Imperial measuring units), and 3.4 ounces by volume may not have anything to do with 3.4 ounces by weight.

On the other hand, bringing a pie through a checkpoint is usually ok, even if the contents of the pie itself resemble a gel (e.g. pumpkin pie). Of course, if you brought a can of pumpkin pie filling to a checkpoint, you'd probably be told that it exceeded the 3.4 ounce limit and wasn't permitted. The inconsistency between those two statements is obvious to just about everyone, yet seems impossible for TSA to solve.

Of course, if you have a medical need for food, you should be able to bring any size item through the checkpoint, subject to additional screening. But experiences shared here show that, often, passengers are forced to defend their medical need for food to TSOs who have little (if any) medical training ... and, ultimately, what the TSO says is what happens, whether or not they're enforcing the rule correctly.

So ... if you can find a way to summarize the preceding four paragraphs in a single sentence, that's great. On the other hand, "don't bring food" is much less accurate, but is much simpler to understand and execute.
jkhuggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 7:26 am   #13

I often travel the long haul flights with my own food supply as I prefer vegetarian staples. Never had any issues with the TSA but I have had some encounters with gate agents who tell me that my food bag exceeds the carry on limit as I have 2 carry on bags, but the websites for the airlines I frequent all say that food for personal consumption is not to be counted towards the carry on limit so be prepared to argue.
Chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 7:34 am   #14

Programs: Hyatt, Delta, Alaska
Other than the obvious (liquids), I haven't been challenged on cheesecake, BBQ (including small cups of sauce), pizza, or sammiches. One SEA TSO joked about confiscating some of my wife's "suspicious looking" brownies, but I can't blame him for that - they look and are really good. I even offered him one, but he politely declined.
seaduck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 7:49 am   #15

A quick anecdote about the insanity of the screening: Before heading to FLL last weekend, I bought a sandwich and my girlfriend bought a salad, and got a bag of ice to keep the two salad dressing containers cold. By the time we got to the airport, the ice had nearly all melted. The TSO saw her bottle of water and made her trash it. The bag of melted ice (and salad dressing containers) that held as much water as the water bottle? The x-ray operator didn't catch it, no problem.

We both felt so much safer.
saulblum is online now   Reply With Quote