Go Back   > > >

Old Mar 30, 11, 8:32 am   #1
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Gold, AVIS Pres, Hertz Gold Plus
Another nightmare at PHX

Just received call from Mrs. EX. She was leaving PHX this morning with her mother. Mother is 89 years old, has terminal cancer, weighs 67 pounds, has a colostomy bag and English paperwork from Japanese Government stating so. She speaks no English. They herded everyone through the new machine. Then they select Mother as well as Mrs. EX for extra pat down. Why? No one knows. They get separated, Mother understands nothing. Mrs. EX is not allowed to translate or assist. They call for a Chinese speaking screener, which of course is totally unhelpful. They touch this 89 year old Great Grandmother everywhere. Imagine, how that feels for a Japanese citizen! The same with my wife. My goodness, these two little Japanese ladies are going home to Japan, for crying out loud. Incidentally, now they have no view of their belongings in the tray. After ten minutes of touching, groping and needless questioning, they are on their own to look for their belongings. Mrs. EX had two trays, one had her Rolex wristwatch inside. Now there is only one tray and the watch is missing! No help, no assistance, nothing. On top of it, now they have to rush to board. The two ladies are completely upset, crying. Mrs. EX called after arriving at LAX and from the lounge and she still is completely besides herself.
First the unpleasant experience as described in another thread in SFO, now this. It is embarrassing to have foreign guests visiting the U.S. It really is unbelievable what fliers have to go through just to catch a flight. And the return stateside is no picnic either. TSA and CBP is just the same, give these people an uniform and they sense power. When I got in this time and presented my U.S. passport to the officer, he asks me what nationality I am. How do they expect me to deal with such a stupid question???
Can someone give me some advice where to go to file a report for the missing watch?
Sorry for the rant, but these things just get to me.
Exleftseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 8:36 am   #2
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT View Post
Can someone give me some advice where to go to file a report for the missing watch?
http://www.azfamily.com/news/consume...-63693772.html

You might actually get results, as opposed to contacting any of the complete idiots working for the TSA at PHX.
Caradoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 8:39 am   #3

It's not the first Rolex stolen by TSA

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/05/woma...kpoint-norfolk
oboshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 8:45 am   #4
Suspended

Phoenix PD

DHSOIGhotline@dhs.gov

FSD at PHX - his name is Paul Ames.

Paul.Ames@dhs.gov

include both DHSOIG and Ames in your e-mail so that Ames can see you have contacted the OIG. Demand that the tape be pulled immediately for review.

In addition, I would call the FSD at PHX, demand the tape be pulled, and let him know you have sent him and the OIG an e-mail to that effect.

Good luck and keep us informed.

~~

Do it NOW!

Last edited by doober; Mar 30, 11 at 8:45 am Reason: to add additional thought.
doober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 8:48 am   #5

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
Quote:
In addition, I would call the FSD at PHX, demand the tape be pulled, and let him know you have sent him and the OIG an e-mail to that effect.
THIS!

You are going to get all sorts of suggestions, but this one - please, please, please call and email right now and make your request for the video.

I am so, so sorry for what TSA/DHS has inflicted on your family, and a theft to top it all off. I sincerely hope you can obtain the tapes.
NotaCriminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 8:50 am   #6
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by doober View Post
Phoenix PD

DHSOIGhotline@dhs.gov

Paul.Ames@dhs.gov

include both DHSOIG and Ames in your e-mail so that Ames can see you have contacted the OIG. Demand that the tape be pulled immediately for review.

Keep in mind that PHX is the same location that "lost" thirty minutes of surveillance video of Stacey Armato's ordeal.

Also, Phoenix PD would be the ones who advised Stacey Armato to just go along with the "horse and pony show" because the TSA had a grudge.

I wouldn't expect much from either Ames or the Phoenix PD. DHSOIG? Maybe.
Caradoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 8:55 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Quote:
Mother is 89 years old, has terminal cancer, weighs 67 pounds, has a colostomy bag and English paperwork from Japanese Government stating so. She speaks no English.

<>

They call for a Chinese speaking screener, which of course is totally unhelpful.
Perhaps if the screener yells loud enough in Chinese, your mother would understand what they're saying.

Quote:
I tried looking up the name of the Federal Security Director at PHX, but it appears that job has been posted as available on several websites, although I would start with the police to file a report:

Police - Airport Bureau
Commander Eric P. Hailey
Phone # (602) 273-3301
2908 Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, Arizona 85034
N965VJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 9:01 am   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by N965VJ View Post
Perhaps if the screener yells loud enough in Chinese, your mother would understand what they're saying.

I tried looking up the name of the Federal Security Director at PHX, but it appears that job has been posted as available on several websites, although I would start with the police to file a report:

Police - Airport Bureau
Commander Eric P. Hailey
Phone # (602) 273-3301
2908 Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, Arizona 85034
I suggested in another thread recently that we need to build a contact list of as many FSD and other senior staff at the airports.

I have DFW and FLL.
Boggie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 9:08 am   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
I suggested in another thread recently that we need to build a contact list of as many FSD and other senior staff at the airports.

I have DFW and FLL.
Great suggestion.
That should be a sticky.
Perhaps broken out by title, airport, or region to make it easier to access and manage.
IslandBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 9:10 am   #10

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
The nightmares & theft by TSA never ends. Reading this makes me sick.
coachrowsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 9:23 am   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrowsey View Post
The nightmares & theft by TSA never ends. Reading this makes me sick.
It makes me wonder if TSA provides any positive benefit at all. I'm disgusted that Exleftseat's wife and mother-in-law were robbed while being abused at the check-point. How is that related to "security"? Absolutely disgusted.
Old Mar 30, 11, 9:28 am   #12

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
I showed this to Hubbest. Like me, he was sickened by the treatment the OP's MIL received. He said, "I wish there were something I can do about it."

"There is," I replied. "Post a link on every board you frequent. Help awareness reach critical mass."
WindOfFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 9:53 am   #13
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, IC PLAT AMB, HH Gold, AVIS Pres, Hertz Gold Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by doober View Post
Phoenix PD

DHSOIGhotline@dhs.gov

Paul.Ames@dhs.gov

Good luck and keep us informed.

~~

Do it NOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotaCriminal View Post
THIS!

You are going to get all sorts of suggestions, but this one - please, please, please call and email right now and make your request for the video.

I am so, so sorry for what TSA/DHS has inflicted on your family, and a theft to top it all off. I sincerely hope you can obtain the tapes.
I just finished sending e-mail. Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it and Mrs. EX and Mother do as well, I know for sure.
We came for a very brief visit to shop because of all the food problems we currently experience in Japan. It turned out not to be such a nice trip. I am sad about this country, not at all what I envisioned when I was planning to emigrate way back in the sixties.
Exleftseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 11, 10:25 am   #14

You might want to report the experience to:

Consulate General of Japan
350 South Grand Avenue, Suite 1700,
Los Angeles, California 90071, U.S.A.
Tel: (213) 617-6700
Fax: (213) 617-6727

Which covers both California and Arizona.

Does Japan have an equivalent to the State Department's Travel Advisory?
"Travel Warnings are issued when long-term, protracted conditions that make a country dangerous" applies to the TSOs in your wife's situation. Maybe they can warn potential Japanese tourists of their reception in the US.
Old Mar 30, 11, 10:39 am   #15
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
As noted above, file a police report for theft and demand (n.b. demand) to see a copy of the surveillance tape*.

*Assuming a) the recording system was working that day, b) the tape in question is able to be located, c) the tape in question is not "damaged" and d) the tape in question was not recorded over
goalie is offline   Reply With Quote