Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:48 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

Flew back from SFO and the TSA Agent doing the ID checks was asking people to confirm their last name, after they had checked ID. Seemed redundant, but they were all doing it so I suppose it's a policy, or some version of SPOT?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:17 am

Sounds like some kind of local policy the head guy there decided to enact, maybe. Haven't heard anything about it, myself.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:52 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Markie
Flew back from SFO and the TSA Agent doing the ID checks was asking people to confirm their last name, after they had checked ID. Seemed redundant, but they were all doing it so I suppose it's a policy, or some version of SPOT?
the clerk probably cannot read...
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:19 am

My last name? Bin Laden. That's B.I.N. .......
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Roughly equal likelihood that it is an STSO/FSD/similar deciding to flex his authority or a few TDCs deciding to flex their authority.

If asked, I would politely say "it's printed right there" pointing to my passport or BP, whichever was nearest. Well maybe not politely.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Roughly equal likelihood that it is an STSO/FSD/similar deciding to flex his authority or a few TDCs deciding to flex their authority.

If asked, I would politely say "it's printed right there" pointing to my passport or BP, whichever was nearest. Well maybe not politely.
Hmmm. There are NO rules regarding HOW one must pronounce their name...
My name is 'Brown' it's spelled S-M-I-T-H

I mention this because the correct pronounciation of my surname bears little relationship to what a English speaking person might surmise.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:12 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Had the same thing on 3/11 at G security - they asked for my name. I gave them my first name, they then asked for my last name.

Pointless but security was relatively painless otherwise.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:49 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just a note to mention that SFO is not TSA, but one of the airports that uses an outside private security company and it has been reported that they sometimes do things not exactly the way the TSA operates.

I believe only the FSD at SFO is from the TSA.

Mr. Elliott
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta, United
When asked to confirm my last name I just say "yes, I have one"

Kinda of like when some asks if I have a driver's license.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was aked for my name at DFW in February. I asked the TSA employee if I was required to answer that question seeing as how he had my photo ID and Boarding Pass in his hands.

At that point the guy (a LTSO) went off the farm and became abusive and threatening. I reported same and according to TSA DFW he did not do anything wrong. At least that is what Chuck Sloan, DFW's TSA Customer ([email protected]) Service Manager stated.

I'm still attempting to discover exactly what effort was taken to determine that claim.

I don't think being threatened by a TSA employee is in their SOP.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:45 am

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
When asked to confirm my last name I just say "yes, I have one"

Kinda of like when some asks if I have a driver's license.
Q: "Can I have your last name?"
A: "Why? Don 't you have one of your own?"
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
Q: "Can I have your last name?"
A: "Why? Don 't you have one of your own?"
A: No, my father gave it to me. Find your own father.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:18 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
Just a note to mention that SFO is not TSA, but one of the airports that uses an outside private security company and it has been reported that they sometimes do things not exactly the way the TSA operates.
That is correct-- sort of. They seem to be allowed to go-- or allow themselves to go-- "beyond the minimum". Remember the bulk clothing pat-downs last year before November's gropgate?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
While unlikely to accomplish much, it's an old "security" ploy, dating back to Europe in an era long before Ian Fleming's James Bond, and intended to catch folks using faked or stolen ID at borders, security checks, and street stops. Folks who stumbled or hesitated (insufficient rehearsal time?) when asked for their last names to match against their documents were hauled in "for questioning".

Given the quality of most photo ideas (or at least the recognizability of the photos) and the large number of folks in this part of the woods who use faked or "borrowed"** ID, I'm not surprised at the use of such tactics. Hoary with age, and mostly seen in the pages of old spy thrillers, some security consultant has obviously recommended its employment.

**Among "illegals" in the US Southwest, borrowing (often "renting'") the ID of a legal resident of similar facial features/age/description is very common, both for employment and travel purposes. In the case of employment, it takes SS and the IRS a while to catch up, and not near so many folks actually lose thir SS cards or DLs as they claim when seeking replacements.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
A: No, my father gave it to me. Find your own father.
I LIKE that one!

How about this?
TDC: May I have your last name?
Pax: Why, I didn't ask for your hand in marriage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.