Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
Q: "Can I have your last name?"
A: "Why? Don 't you have one of your own?"
^^^
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
And a fake ID is a threat to security exactly how?

Isn't the passenger still going to be screened?
Official answer: In case the passenger is on the no-fly list.

Real answer: It isn't. They're powertripping.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: CO Plat, Hyatt Plat
Anyone have an easily referenced list of names and numbers for key SFO personnel? For example, the name/number of the FSD, the name/number of the county ADA (for filing sexual assault charges), the name/number of any of the airline representatives, the correct ACLU number, etc.?

I fly through SFO quite a bit and any names/numbers I can have in my phone for easy reference in case of detainment by TSA due to this name BS.d
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Hedwigkin
Anyone have an easily referenced list of names and numbers for key SFO personnel? For example, the name/number of the FSD, the name/number of the county ADA (for filing sexual assault charges), the name/number of any of the airline representatives, the correct ACLU number, etc.?

I fly through SFO quite a bit and any names/numbers I can have in my phone for easy reference in case of detainment by TSA due to this name BS.d
While I think it is stupid, the problem is that the TDC won't let you pass without complying. And they don't like it either. It is a penalty being asserted against SFO based on poor grades on an inspection.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sbrower
While I think it is stupid, the problem is that the TDC won't let you pass without complying. And they don't like it either. It is a penalty being asserted against SFO based on poor grades on an inspection.
Is the same true at airports like DFW, LGA and many other large US airports? Questioning people about names and birthdates has increased and I haven't seen so many people asked to recite their name and/or birthdates since the days when college-area bars around the country would play that game and largely flop at it.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
Q. Can I have your last name?
A. (pen in hand with notepad ready) Mine is on my ID in your hand, May I have yours please?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
It is a penalty being asserted against SFO based on poor grades on an inspection.
Is that right? They screw up so we get hassled?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Is that right? They screw up so we get hassled?
You, of all people, should not be surprised by this!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: Cattle Class
Here's what happened yesterday at SFO Terminal 1.
I approached TDC in T1.
After using the magic light
TDC (Delena): Your last name?
Me: Printed on the BP
TDC: Your last name?
Me: Printed on BP and my ID that you have.
Me: Need help reading it?
TDC: Supervisor!!!!
2 striper comes in
TDC: This smart a$$ won't tell his last name.
Me (to the 2 striper): Can I have a comment card.
2striper leaves for a comment card.
Me (to the TDC): Smarta$$ right.
TDC: Yes smarta$$. You're acting like a 5yr old and will be treated as one.
2striper comes back with the card and 3striper.
Was back and forth with the 3striper up till I gave up my last name and was on my way.
It all took ~3-4 mins.

Can anyone answer the question, what do they do if person doesn't speak English and has no clue what TDC is asking?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
Originally Posted by Awtas
I approached TDC in T1.
As best as I've been gathering from this forum, the suggested approach is not to taunt the TSC, but to keep repeating "it's on the BP and ID." Is my understanding accurate?

TSOs on the board, please weigh in as well.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:34 am

Which languages are acceptable?

Is American Sign Language acceptable?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Awtas
I approached TDC in T1.
TDC: Supervisor!!!!
2 striper comes in
TDC: This smart a$$ won't tell his last name.
Me (to the 2 striper): Can I have a comment card.
2striper leaves for a comment card.
Me (to the TDC): Smarta$$ right.
TDC: Yes smarta$$. You're acting like a 5yr old and will be treated as one.
2striper comes back with the card and 3striper.
Was back and forth with the 3striper up till I gave up my last name and was on my way.
It all took ~3-4 mins.

Can anyone answer the question, what do they do if person doesn't speak English and has no clue what TDC is asking?
Bolding mine: <grrrrrr> The "last name issue" aside, a TSO is in a customer service environment just like a bank teller is and no matter how rude a pax/bank customer may be, the TSO/bank teller has to take it without lowering themselves to the other side by yelling, screaming and etc but the reverse is also true where a bank teller/TSO cannot be the "instigating rude party" (for lack of a better term) and in this situation, the TSO was flat out wrong and needs to be disciplined (and any supervisor who condones this action such as did the supv who arrived and was told "this smart a$$...." as any supervisor and/or manager worth their salt should have cut the TSO off saying something along the lines of "stop, you're out of line" and immediately apologize to the pax)
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somebody Flying Out of SFO Has GOT To Record This!

Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: <grrrrrr> The "last name issue" aside, a TSO is in a customer service environment just like a bank teller is and no matter how rude a pax/bank customer may be, the TSO/bank teller has to take it without lowering themselves to the other side by yelling, screaming and etc but the reverse is also true where a bank teller/TSO cannot be the "instigating rude party" (for lack of a better term) and in this situation, the TSO was flat out wrong and needs to be disciplined (and any supervisor who condones this action such as did the supv who arrived and was told "this smart a$$...." as any supervisor and/or manager worth their salt should have cut the TSO off saying something along the lines of "stop, you're out of line" and immediately apologize to the pax)
PLEASE! Can someone record one of these encounters soon? This is before you have to remove most of your clothing, so it should be pretty easy to put a recorder or cell phone in a front pocket. Turn it on while there are a couple of people in front of you and you should be good to go.

I haven't been through SFO in years. Otherwise, I would gladly do the honors. I would do the "it's on my BP routine" and, after relenting, pronounce my last name as "Smith." Then, we would get into a discussion about the right one has to pronounce their name any way they darn well please.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
...Can someone record one of these encounters soon? ...
What is the law in CA regarding recording video and sound? I am going to be there this week. I also know there is a "spy shop" near Fisherman's Wharf that should have the necessary equipment.

PS - I am not asking for Legal advice, just comments and/or links from fellow passengers who may know a bit more than I do regarding applicable laws.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:06 am

All in a days work for security theater.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.