Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:47 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
"No hablo ingles"... that's gotten me out of a lot lately.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For you old timers.

"My name...José Jiménez" credit to Bill Dana
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I asked a supervisor this morning (before I saw this thread). He confirms that it is official SFO policy as of about a week ago.

I suspect that TSA is trying to make "Team SFO" look bad, so they can argue that contractors are a bad choice. They also had a "gate check" operation today. The alternative explanation is that they failed one of their inspections and they were give a bunch of new silly rules to punish them.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
A: No, my father gave it to me. Find your own father.
adding ".... if your mother can narrow down the list"
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:43 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt
Do you use an accent?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: OnePass
My name is Indigo Montoya.

You killed my father.

Prepare to die.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by mikemey
My name is Indigo Montoya.

You killed my father.

Prepare to die.
^ Great movie.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WindOfFreedom
Q: "Can I have your last name?"
A: "I am not going to provide free advice to you on such matters, so find your own lawyer to ask."
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ari
Do you use an accent?
After being taken as an Argentine (while wearing a long-sleeve Argentine soccer polo) by a bunch of Argentines on a ski employment exchange program trying to show off against the legions of skiing Brazilians who invade Colorado's finest mountains for recreational pleasure at this time of the year, of course.

.. and if not that, I can readily break into a few words of a variety of European languages, some SW/Central/South Asian languages or some African languages to try to throw them off. Too bad I cannot do Xhosa or Afrikaans to any convincing degree.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
"Team SFO"

They definately go beyond the minimum. I was badly groped there a couple of weeks ago. As a very frequent traveler (150K for the last 14 years), I am used to the abuses by the TSA. Am currently traveling out of SFO weekly... While doing the groping, the clerk actually jammed the side of her hands into my genital area. I told her, you just touched my CL**. She said, no I didn't. I said, ummm I think I know my own anatomy. The supervisor tried the DY...T on me and I told her that unless she had some reason as to why she was threatening me, I would like to proceed thru this farce of security and get to my gate. I asked for a LEO and she told me I would have to call 911. I probably should have, but had a conference call I needed to get on once I got to my gate. At the time, I did not realize how much this had affected me, but after walking away, I noticed that my hands were shaking and I ended up needing to vomit.

I did go online and file a complaint... I was chosen because I opted out of the nude o scope, as I am a skin cancer survivor. Now, I avoid the lines that have the nude o scopes...

This travel thing is not so much fun anymore.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:11 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
¡Hostía hombre! Por supuesto. Hablo con el acento de mis abuelos

And I do it so quickly, that even native Spanish speakers have a hard time understanding it.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
The alternative explanation is that they failed one of their inspections and they were give a bunch of new silly rules to punish them.
THISTHISTHIS.

It's exactly the reason. I hate having to "make" PAX say their last names. Not only does it cause a few more seconds of having to deal with people (when I can have people move faster), it's just generally silly. I've already voiced my opinion on it to management, but obviously I have no decision power over it.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by senseker
THISTHISTHIS.

It's exactly the reason. I hate having to "make" PAX say their last names. Not only does it cause a few more seconds of having to deal with people (when I can have people move faster), it's just generally silly. I've already voiced my opinion on it to management, but obviously I have no decision power over it.
Is this practice in fact SFO screening policy?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:51 pm

Just answer a completely different question. Example

TSA Idiot: "Could you verify your last name"?
TSA Victim: "Cincinnati, then back home"

TSA Idiot: "No, I need your name"
TSA Victim: "No, I'm not famous, I'm just an engineer"

TSA idiot: "I NEED your NAME!"
TSA Victim:"I'm sorry I'm hard of hearing, could you repeat the question?"

TSA idiot: "YOUR NAME YOUR NAME"
TSA Victim:"Oh its right there on the boarding pass, its ok we all have disabilities, mine i S. M. I. T. H. That spells "smith...."smeeetheeee". Them giving him a condescending nod and smile

In all seriousness, I have found that frustrating the TSA sex perverts, making them work extra hard, but all done with plausible deniability gives me something to laugh about after I leave the TSA grope point, and helps relieve the incredible tension these low lifes tend to induce.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: *Alliance
Originally Posted by mkt
I simply point to my hearing aids and shake my head as if didnt understand. Unless they know ASL that is as far as its going to go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.