Can I Put A Airsoft Gun in My Checked Luggage?

Subscribe
My son wants me to pick him up an Airsoft gun while in the US. In case you don't know what an Airsoft gun is it is a gun that fires plastic BBs vs. metal BBs. There is no CO2 cartridge. It is a manual spring load. It also has the orange tip.

I don't want to buy it and find out that I can't bring it home.

I'm leaving the US and flying back home to Canada if that is relevant.
As far as TSA goes, in checked bags those are good to go. I can't speak to any issues you may have with Canadian customs though.
Quote: My son wants me to pick him up an Airsoft gun while in the US. In case you don't know what an Airsoft gun is it is a gun that fires plastic BBs vs. metal BBs. There is no CO2 cartridge. It is a manual spring load. It also has the orange tip.

You know what Canadian laws are. I'd at least mention something at check in as I'm sure the TSA dingbats would see it on the x-ray and think they made a Big Catch.
Like others have said, declare it at the time. A replica and real one can look the same on an X-ray.
Quote: My son wants me to pick him up an Airsoft gun while in the US. ....

according to wikipedia to bring an airsoft gun back to Canada it must be made of clear plastic and have a muzzle velocity under 500ft/s.
and in Ontario children must be supervised when using them.

You might be in for some greif from the boarder services if you try to bring one back with you
http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/

There is a lot of good information at the above site. On the US side, you aren't REQUIRED by FAR 1544.293 to fill out the paperwork for an airsoft, but if you do it will keep the TSA from freaking out when they spot the airsoft.
Quote: http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/

There is a lot of good information at the above site. On the US side, you aren't REQUIRED by FAR 1544.293 to fill out the paperwork for an airsoft, but if you do it will keep the TSA from freaking out when they spot the airsoft.
If it's in a locked hard-sided case as a declared "firearm," it might even still be there on arrival.

Otherwise, it may be chosen by a lucky TSA employee as a gift for themselves or a relative.
Quote: If it's in a locked hard-sided case as a declared "firearm," it might even still be there on arrival.

Otherwise, it may be chosen by a lucky TSA employee as a gift for themselves or a relative.
I would agree with this. Do the paper work and save yourself the hassle by declaring it. That way you avoid the whole mess of them opening the luggage as well.

Alternatively, buy it and have it shipped directly from the retailer to your home.
I am going to China and I have an acting/ airsoft pistol there. Is it possible to put it in my checked luggage?