Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

UK body scanners - opt outs permitted 22 November 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle

As and from 22 November 2013, passengers who are selected for a body scan may decline and receive a "private search alternative".

Body scanners are in place or on their way to the majority of major international airports in the UK. As of the end of 2013, they are deployed in LHR, LGW, BHX, MAN, EDI, GLA, STN, LCY, and BFS and were deployed in late 2014/early 2015 to ABZ, BHD, BRS, CWL, EMA, LBA, LPL, LTN, NCL and PIK. Until 21 November 2013, passengers declining a scan once selected were denied passage through the checkpoint and offloaded from their flight. As of 22 November 2013, passengers selected may decline a scan and will be hand-searched in a private room. This search may require the loosening or removal of some items of clothing and the passenger may have a witness present. The passenger's carry-on items will also be thoroughly searched and may be subject to explosive threat detection swabbing. Details of some FlyerTalkers' opt-out experiences can be read in post #606 and #661.

All body scanners in the UK are of the millimetre wave type. Backscatter machines were previously used but withdrawn in 2012. There are 4 models in use: the L3 ProVision, the L3 ProVision 2, the Smiths eqo (which has a passing resemblance to the single-pose Rapiscan backscatter), and the Rohde & Schwarz Quick Personnel Scanner. All use Automatic Threat Recognition software so the result of the scan is immediately visible in the form of a so-called "Gumby" figure on the screen. The passenger and the security clerk will see the figure and any anomalies are outlined with boxes; these areas are then patted down.

Scanners are not used as primary and all passengers pass through walk-through metal detectors in the first instance. In most locations, the scanner is associated with one WTMD and if you trigger this WTMD you will be directed to the scanner. Note that WTMDs in the UK are set to randomly beep with a certain probability (perhaps 15%) even if you have no metal. In some locations, however, the scanner is set back from the checkpoint and security clerks select people based on undisclosed criteria, sometimes after they have already packed up their stuff and put it back in their bags/pockets/etc.

A passenger may, if so inclined, request to be screened by the scanner rather than passing through the WTMD, which one supposes may be preferable to certain passengers possessed of metal implants which they cannot divest.

Historically the chance of being selected for scanning on any given trip was quite low, as there are generally multiple lanes at any given checkpoint but only one or two scanners. This is now changing at non-London airports where the lanes with scanners are used most and non-scanner lanes only opened to handle peak demand, and at London airports where more scanners are being installed. It was also usually the case through 2014 that fast track lanes for premium and status passengers were WTMD only; this is sadly history now.

Unless otherwise stated, the scanners below are located behind WTMDs and passengers beeping the WTMDs are scanned.

Scanner locations per airport:

LHR T1: Closed
LHR T2: Scanners on all lanes behind WTMD, except the very furthest lane from the entrance.
LHR T3: Recent information required.
LHR T4: Recent information required.
LHR T5: Scanners on most lanes behind WTMD. Due to limited space the lanes at either end of north checkpoint and at either end of south checkpoint (but not fast track) are scanner-free.
LGW TN: WTMD + scanner in every lane.
LGW TS: WTMD + scanner in every lane. Sometimes scanners switched to primary.
MAN: Scanners: one per checkpoint, used as secondary screening in lieu of pat-down if WTMD triggered.
EDI: Update needed from new checkpoint
STN: Scanners behind the WTMDs for lanes 7/8 and 15/16.
LCY: Scanners in both checkpoints, used as secondary. Two safe lanes in the old checkpoint (the one with automatic boarding pass scan gates) so use that and try to SDOO.
GLA: Between lanes 3 and 4. Note, fast track normally uses lanes 1 and 2 but you can get unlucky. (Updated 25 January 2014)
BFS: Scanner used as secondary if you trip the WTMD.
ABZ: Information needed
SOU: Scanner behind the only WTMD
BHD, LPL, BRS, EMA, NCL, LBA, LTN, CWL: Information also needed

See also: https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...ty-scanners--2
Print Wikipost

UK body scanners - opt outs permitted 22 November 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:35 pm

LHR T2 transferring by bus not allowing opt outs.

Usual threats of calling anti terrorist police, confiscation of travel documents and generally pissing you off.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by The Green
LHR T2 transferring by bus not allowing opt outs.

Usual threats of calling anti terrorist police, confiscation of travel documents and generally pissing you off.
Did you win and get your opt out or did you go through the scanner?

How long was the 'disagreement'?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Whether staff like it or not, the U.K. have not yet left the EU and therefore all of its laws are still applicable there. I suggest at the least submitting a complaint to the EU through https://ec.europa.eu/assets/sg/repor...complaints_en/
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Skatering
Did you win and get your opt out or did you go through the scanner?

How long was the 'disagreement'?
I was in a hurry to catch my connection to Dublin so I went through the scanner but made my protest known.

Their response was some wisecrack about the IRA and Gerry Adams.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
LHR T2 transfer security fast-track pushed back pretty hard when I tried to opt out. The individual who asked me why I didn't want to use the MMW kept stating that I was refusing to comply with security procedures, even as I pointed out that EU law required that they give me an alternative. Finally, they folded, but my passport somehow went missing from the bin after the screener finished searching my belongings. Luckily, it was "found" on the desk near the machine they use to test liquids/for explosives . Equally worryingly, I was made to separate from my belongings during the search in the private room, but nothing other than my passport seemed to have gone missing.

Start to finish, 1 hour... out of my 4 hour transit. I appreciate the reminder of why exactly I avoid flying through the UK like the plague.

Last edited by pewpew; Jan 11, 2018 at 4:04 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:14 am

I opted out at Gatwick South this afternoon. I was told that I could only opt out for medical reasons. I said that I always opt out. A manager was called and she said that I would be stripped to my underwear because it was very suspicious that I was attempting to avoid security. I pointed out that I wasn’t avoiding security, particularly if I was to be searched in such a fashion.

The manager didn’t agree and asked for my name and boarding pass otherwise she’d call the police. Needless to say, the police were called.

I spoke to the police and then I was taken for a private search by the security staff and a different manager. I did indeed have to lower my trousers to my knees because the handheld metal detector beeped as it passed over the zip area in the front of my trousers. Everything was swabbed, including my hands.

I was then allowed on my way. The whole episode lasted about 25 minutes.

Palmer
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:25 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Palmer
The manager didn’t agree and asked for my name and boarding pass otherwise she’d call the police. Needless to say, the police were called.

I spoke to the police and then I was taken for a private search by the security staff and a different manager.
Did you refuse to give your name and boarding pass and if so, why? (I'm not sure whether you are allowed to)

What did you discuss with the police and was their knowledge of the law accurate?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Did you refuse to give your name and boarding pass and if so, why? (I'm not sure whether you are allowed to)

What did you discuss with the police and was their knowledge of the law accurate?
​​​​​​​
I couldn’t see how providing my name would make me any less of a security risk. The staff here do not and can not access any systems in the same way that the police can. When I was asked my name I said; “What’s my name got to do with anything? Why would you want to know that?” My boarding pass was on my phone. That had gone through the x-ray machine with my jacket and was sat on a tray at the far end of the rollers but as soon as I questioned the need for my name, the manager cut me off and said she’d call the police.

A police officer arrived a few minutes later. He had a chat with the manager and the two security staff that had dealt with me then he came over to me. He asked why I was refusing to comply with security. I said that I wasn’t and I’d just opted out of passing through the scanner, that I was happy to go for a private search but security staff said that I could only opt out on medical grounds.

The officer said that that wasn’t the case and that anyone could opt out. He then went back to speak to the small group. Another manager had joined that group. After the officer had spoken to the group, the second manager came across and invited me through for the search with one of the security staff.

The police officer never asked for my name. He didn’t ask for my boarding pass or any details regarding where and why I was travelling. He was very level-headed with me.

Palmer
Koby, BruceyBonus and :D! like this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Point of comparison: I just opted out at FRA. It was a breeze. The agent even joked around with me, saying he needed to check to make sure I've been putting in enough time at the gym. Afterwards, he asked me for workout tips.

Get your act together, UK!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:17 am

Location: Woodbridge, NJ, USA/ Swords, Co Dublin, IE/London, UK
Programs: AA Plat Pro
Usual fun and games at LHR T2 when I declined last night
- 15 minutes for the security manager to appear (moustache, black jacket - didnt see a name badge)
- 5 minutes answering his questions telling him I wasnt going through it... he eventually got the message
- 5 minutes wait for the the pat down
- 5 minutes checking the bags

bags and passport were out of my sight for best part of 25 minutes... gotta love that... not
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:11 pm

I recently declined to be scanned at LGW North for medical reasons. They told me I could still use the scanner even if I couldn't adopt the correct position and they would "make allowances" so I was just an opt-out, not a medical one.

I was left to sit opposite the metal detector landside. My luggage had already gone through, which would have been a concern for me but I knew my travelling companion would deal with it. A manager appeared quite quickly, asked me why I was opting out, and told me I could end up waiting 2 minutes or 20 minutes. I said I would wait. I sat there for about 10-15 minutes. The staff kept offering me the opportunity to use the scanner. They were all polite, but I felt one or two of them took my refusal a little personally. I am pretty sure I was being closely monitored on CCTV while I was waiting so they could check to see if I was acting suspiciously.

Eventually two people took me airside and checked me with the explosives wand before taking me to a private room. En route one of them told me that when I bought my ticket for my flight I had agreed under the T&Cs to use the <whole body scanner> if requested to do so! I said how kind they were to offer me an alternative then. I was felt down, scanned again, had to lift my top and was scanned again. I was then allowed to go. I was not asked about my luggage at all, which surprised me. The whole thing took about 25 mins. I was asked if I travel a lot but no other questions, nor was I asked to sign anything. I am pretty sure that LGW knew who I was anyway (at LGW you do not show your passport until you reach the gate, they are obviously using some kind of facial recognition system).

I was selected for the <whole body scanner> because I triggered the metal detector. Interestingly, it did not beep until I was through it and the guy watching me walk through it had already started to tell me I could go when it suddenly beeped, so I am pretty sure I was a random selection. If you do not like <whole body scanner>, I would suggest avoiding LGW: I was told that 25% of those who trigger the detector are random. I watched people coming through while I was sitting there waiting and I would estimate that at least a third of passengers were being asked to use the <whole body scanner>. People were actually having to queue to use it! So LGW is now on my avoid list.

I do feel a lot safer now though.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 14, 2018 at 10:49 am Reason: Term not used in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:31 pm

I am not sure if I am supposed to update the wiki, I presume stifle does it.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Winston Smith
I recently declined to be scanned at LGW North for medical reasons. They told me I could still use the scanner even if I couldn't adopt the correct position and they would "make allowances" so I was just an opt-out, not a medical one.

I was left to sit opposite the metal detector landside. My luggage had already gone through, which would have been a concern for me but I knew my travelling companion would deal with it. A manager appeared quite quickly, asked me why I was opting out, and told me I could end up waiting 2 minutes or 20 minutes. I said I would wait. I sat there for about 10-15 minutes. The staff kept offering me the opportunity to use the scanner. They were all polite, but I felt one or two of them took my refusal a little personally. I am pretty sure I was being closely monitored on CCTV while I was waiting so they could check to see if I was acting suspiciously.

Eventually two people took me airside and checked me with the explosives wand before taking me to a private room. En route one of them told me that when I bought my ticket for my flight I had agreed under the T&Cs to use the <whole body scanner> if requested to do so! I said how kind they were to offer me an alternative then. I was felt down, scanned again, had to lift my top and was scanned again. I was then allowed to go. I was not asked about my luggage at all, which surprised me. The whole thing took about 25 mins. I was asked if I travel a lot but no other questions, nor was I asked to sign anything. I am pretty sure that LGW knew who I was anyway (at LGW you do not show your passport until you reach the gate, they are obviously using some kind of facial recognition system).

I was selected for the <whole body scanner> because I triggered the metal detector. Interestingly, it did not beep until I was through it and the guy watching me walk through it had already started to tell me I could go when it suddenly beeped, so I am pretty sure I was a random selection. If you do not like <whole body scanner>, I would suggest avoiding LGW: I was told that 25% of those who trigger the detector are random. I watched people coming through while I was sitting there waiting and I would estimate that at least a third of passengers were being asked to use the <whole body scanner>. People were actually having to queue to use it! So LGW is now on my avoid list.

I do feel a lot safer now though.
Thanks for your story

I think the false positive rate used to be set at 20%, but maybe it has been increased.

I doubt LGW use some sort of sci-fi facial recognition. It just doesn't work very well reliably unless they have an excellent reference photo. And if they want to know who you are, they could just ask.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 14, 2018 at 10:48 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of qouted post
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind that per the forum's sticky thread the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational.

Please limit your responses here to data points and practical advice. Save your opinion, commentary and rants for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been edited and deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I had an opt-out at LHR T2 a few months ago. There were no delays, objectionable staff, or issues. There was a very sizable log in the private search room.

My search involved pat pat down and HHMD, and meanwhile my wife was left with my baggage which was emptied and ETDd.

The process took less than 15 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.